Robben Ford Discussion :: View topic - The Bad, The Good, and the Most Excellent!
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through this link.
Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index

Robben Ford Discussion
The Official Robben Ford Discussion Group

www.RobbenFord.com
All Access Pass

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Bad, The Good, and the Most Excellent!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> The Daved Zone
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirk95
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoeB63 wrote:

And I truly believe that concert tapes and bootlegs would significantly cut into his retail CD sales.

I don't know how you can make that assumption? Based on what facts?

I think you need to ask:

1> how many CD's does Robben sell now? is that a big number or a small number?
2> why doesn't he sell more?

Just maybe there is a positive correlation between "using taping and trading as the way to spread the word" and "huge jam-band size crowds" for artists that have limited label marketing support?

I for one would buy everything that Robben released regardless of trading policy. I already have. I own everything he has ever released to date and would buy more if it were available? …again regardless of trading policy….

But that’s just me…How ‘bout the rest of you guys?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
PierreL

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same as you Captain !
mayer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye from me too!
JoeB63

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, let's go with the reverse assumption:

Easy Internet trading of MP3s does not reduce an artist's retail CD sales.

Don't tell me you believe that's true.

So the only real question is whether or not allowing taping would increase his fan base and eventually lead to increased CD sales. What I was saying is that that works for the Jam bands because of the nature of Jam band fans (see The Grateful Dead fans). RF doesn't have that type of fans. So I'm guessing (no facts here) that RF believes that taping will lead to reduced CD sales, rather than a large influx of new fans. I could be wrong.
HHB

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe in an artist right to control their output, that much is only fair IMO BUT my point is that the jam band kids would welcome Robben w/ open arms, he should market to those people, they love extended improve and are the most supportive bunch around. I've never felt as much support for my music as I have in the jamband scene, and I'm not even Robben Ford, HHB
Bluelobster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 8:26 am    Post subject: hat off Reply with quote

Razz
elizabeth
Robben Fan #1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 8:31 am    Post subject: Shoe fetish Reply with quote

Hey Tele, I never thought of it as a fetish, but, "...if the shoe fits..." You should have seen the great socks he was wearing at the August clinic! I have to agree that taking photos doesn't fulfill any of my needs, but I do love to get a picture taken WITH him, just so I can stand realllllly close to him. Shoe fetish? Hmmmmm...Ya think?? Ah well, guess it could always be a lot worse!

Bluelobster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Shoe fetish Reply with quote

elizabeth wrote:
" You should have seen the great socks he was wearing at the August clinic! I have to agree that taking photos doesn't fulfill any of my needs, but I do love to get a picture taken WITH him, just so I can stand realllllly close to him. Shoe fetish? Hmmmmm...Ya think?? Ah well, guess it could always be a lot worse!

Pics suck, but if u want a great recoolection with socks it might work. Lobestetere
Bluelobster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 8:57 am    Post subject: Robbbbbbby's socks Reply with quote

you know that kind of socks like teenage girls, or kids; with a logo on it like cartoons or llli==== whatever, cooooool , once you get these, u play your ass oofffffffffffffffffff. Idea
kirk95
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoeB63 wrote:
OK, let's go with the reverse assumption:

Easy Internet trading of MP3s does not reduce an artist's retail CD sales.

Don't tell me you believe that's true.

We were talking about live shows in the context of tapers and live board recordings not studio CDs. Huge difference!

That's how the jam band economy works. The live shows create awareness which expands the fan base, drives CD sales, ticket and merchandise sales. It also creates and builds a strong and loyal community of fans. Fans that actually care about the artist. Not fans that want to rip off or steal from the artist. There is a mutual trust component there. This is how grass roots Internet Music Marketing works....and it works! Look at all the successful money making jam bands.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
kirk95
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HHB wrote:
I believe in an artist right to control their output, that much is only fair IMO BUT my point is that the jam band kids would welcome Robben w/ open arms, he should market to those people, they love extended improve and are the most supportive bunch around. I've never felt as much support for my music as I have in the jamband scene, and I'm not even Robben Ford, HHB

I agree!
kirk95
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as photos go, all I know is what my traffic logs tell me.

When I post a couple of new Robben photos traffic always spikes. So I may go from 200 visits a day to 2000 visits a day and that will continue for several days.

It always results in a bunch of new members joining this board!

That makes me believe that live Robben photos posted on the Internet help expand the Robben community.

That's a good thing. Yes?
Buffaloe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can shoot digital flashless pictures in almost pure darkness. Here's the problem. My camera, a Sony DSC-707 uses a cluster of laser beems to find its focus. Imagine if you're Robben, into a really great playing moment, and all of a sudden your Tele is lighted up with a group of hot red spots. Would that distract you? It would me. I would love to have tons of pix of Robben at work, but I would not want to take away from his ability to do so. The recording thing? He doesn't get paid for it if it's bootlegged. My guess is that Robben does OK, but why should he allow people to take his art for free and then share it with the world? He's not Pearl Jam, and he never will be. He appeals to a relatively small audience, and what he gets from that audience is his livlihood. I think he gives you the price of the ticket, and more. I don't find fault with him that he doesn't want to have his art scattered all over the world without some compensation. And since that can't be controlled, the only option is for him to just say no.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> The Daved Zone All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: