Robben Ford Discussion :: View topic - Disappointed fan
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through this link.
Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index

Robben Ford Discussion
The Official Robben Ford Discussion Group

www.RobbenFord.com
All Access Pass

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Disappointed fan
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
devlin252

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Disappointed fan Reply with quote

HELLO, I AM A LOCAL AREA MUSICIAN IN YOUNGSTOWN,OHIO,
I AM WRITING THIS MESSAGE BECAUSE APPROX 10 YEARS AGO A FRIEND AND I WENT TO SEE ROBBEN LIVE IN CLEVELAND. THE VENUE WAS VERY SMALL AND I APPROACHED ROBBEN TO TELL HIM HOW MUCH I ENJOYED HIS PLAYING AND POLITELY ASKED IF IT WOULD BE POSSIBLE TO GET A PICTURE TAKEN WITH HIM AFTER THE SHOW. HIS RESPONSE WAS " WHAT FOR?" AND THEN SAID TO ME THAT HE DIDN'T DO THAT. HE ALSO GAVE MY FRIEND AND I A NASTY LOOK WHEN WE TRIED TO TAKE PICTURES OF HIM ON STAGE (FLASH OFF) NOW, I'LL HAVE YOU KNOW THAT I HAVE EVERY CD HE HAS PUT OUT. HIS ATTITUDE WAS VERY DISAPPOINTING AND I HAVE NEVER PURCHASED ANY MORE OF HIS MUSIC. I HAVE MET AND GOTTEN PICTURES TAKEN WITH "MUSIC LEGENDS" (WHICH HE IS FAR FROM) GREG ALLMAN, BB KING, ETC.... AND THEY WERE EXTREMELY APPROACHABLE. ROBBEN, LEARN SOME MANNERS AND REMEMBER, YOU ARE PLAYING MUSIC FOR A LIVING BECAUSE OF THE FANS, SHOW SOME APPRECIATION. I'M SURE I'LL GET SOME NEGATIVE RESPONSE TO THIS MESSAGE AND I'M SURE I'LL GET "HE MUST OF JUST BEEN HAVING A BAD DAY" BULLSHIT

AN EXPLANATION FROM ROBBEN HIMSELF VIA THE MESSAGE BOARD WOULD BE NICE. BUT WE ALL KNOW THAT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

SD
Y-TOWN, OHIO
Ian Hurtt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure why you wasted your energy to join this forum just to post this. If you had read some of the history you will know that Robben finds photography during his shows distracting and has enough people not respecting his wishes that he has very little patience anymore, IMO.

Having said that, I've been fortunate enough to talk to Robben a couple times after he's played a couple sets and he has been nothing but gracious and accomodating, signing pics, cd's, etc. for everyone that asked politely. You asked to take a picture and he declined, get over it...
Red Suede

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to say something, but I was just going to let sleeping dogs lie. Obviously, this guy just wanted to be controversial and stir the pot with all of us, because he's bringing up events that are 10 years old.
PierreL

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah , you are right, that's not going to happen. So why bother posting then...

PS : and please, turn the caps-lock off, that hurts the eye...
Ron S

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:44 am    Post subject: Purlease!!! Reply with quote

This happened a decade ago and it's still eating away at you? I got turned down by the first girl I asked out.........I think I'll send her some hatemail now. Yeah real mature!

Get over it Troll.

Btw if you 'are' a musician and don't consider Robben a 'Music Legend' that says plenty about your 'musical skills'. Also the fact that a genuinely friendly and gracious guy like Robben responded like that to you says a lot about how YOU come across. Perhaps you should deal with THAT! What did you expect here? Sympathy?

Go pull your hair out in clumps and rock back and forth on someone elses time.

Ron S
bluesman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Robben well and I think that he is a GENTLEMAN !
If you are a working musician you have to know how hard is to be friendly and polite to hundreds of fans (and some not really) after exhausting two hour gig day after day!
And surprisingly Robben almost always is.

If something happened TEN bloody years ago ! JUST FORGET IT MAN !!!
I’m sure there are much more important things around to worry about not to mention imaginary “nasty look”.
Take it eassssssssssssssy.
frank0936

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:11 am    Post subject: Disappointed Reply with quote

Sounds like someone needs a timeout. Oh yeah, also, switch to decaf, dude. Shocked
Frank
LongIslandRod

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What that post for real? 10 years ago? Not a legend?

What a weenie!

I'm not going to comment further the previous posts put this person in his place.
diatonicdude

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devlin252

I think a few of my fellow board members have already given you some constructive criticism and advice. I will add a little more......

I have met Robben after gigs before, even when the crowd has been a little disrespectful to say the least, and yet his was still gracious and polite. Did you think for a minute that you may have upset him, during his work, by taking pictures (even without flash), because there was either a no camera policy ignored, or he was anticipating a flash whilst playing? The "what for?" question perhaps could have been interpreted to "what for, as you already have my picture a dozen times?"!

He, like us, is only human (well except his god given musical sense and style ), and will obviously show common traits of emotion from time to time. The only analogy I can think of is this; have you ever given a complete stranger a bad look in a supermarket just because they accidentally knocked their trolley into yours? Well, there you go then!

All I can suggest is for you to think it over, and start out. Take time out from what ever you are doing and get yourself to the next RF gig coming your way.

Enjoy a fabulous evenings music from a truly consummate pro, and if he comes out to greet his fans at the end of the evening, return his greetings and start all over.

Follow up your first post with a great review of the gig and how much happier you are about everything. Smile

DD
JohnnyZ

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had several different contacts in the past year and a half with Robben- after shows, been to a clinic, and even caught him in a hotel restaurant having breakfast by himself the morning of a show, and he always seemed to acknowledge me as a fan, nothing more, nothing less. One time, however, after a show, during some small talk, I mentioned to him about appearing on this forum, and he did snap back, "What for?" It took me by surprise, and I was speechless for several seconds, but I did manage to reply that he has many fans who regularily appear in here that would love to have some interaction with him. But, he still seemed cold to the idea, so I dropped it, and asked for a picture, which he gladly took with me. And, then, a little more small talk before he went off to find a place to unwind by himself with a glass of red wine.

Honestly, I didn't know what to make of Robben's stunning reaction, and still don't as I relive it in my mind, but, it doesn't affect how I perceive him as a person and musician. Perhaps his life interests don't include a computer, which I can greatly respect and appreciate. Robben is still my guitar hero, and I love all of his music...
diatonicdude

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diatonicdude wrote:
devlin252

The only analogy I can think of is this; have you ever given a complete stranger a bad look in a supermarket just because they accidentally knocked their trolley into yours? Well, there you go then!
DD

I have just read my post above, reference my analogy, and I think I went off at a tangent. In fact I must have been "off my trolley"! Laughing

The point I was trying to make Devlin, was that we can all give dirty looks even when they are not really justified, or even if it is out of character.

Johnny, sorry to hear about your incident. I guess Robben has his own perception of forums, etc. At least you handled the incident with total respect, and realise that Robben is already giving his all through his live shows and wiliness to run the series of clinics.

cheer's,

DD
johan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No this is kinda funny. Just read a post from a Swedish Guitar Forum. Came up a post today by a guy who's in LA @ GIT. yesterday Mike Landau and Robben played together at a clinc (oh boy do I want to hear that). Anyway, after the clinic he went up to Landau and Ford for a chat like everyone else. Landau stopped for a chat. Talked alot. Very down to earth guy apparently.

Next stop was Robben. They asked for a quick photo and Robbens reply with a pi$$ed off tone..."NO FLASH!!!". This was NOT during the gig.
What's the problem????

Bluelobster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: caps lock off Reply with quote

hi there , what a cool attitude guys . You made all positive statements.
I was going on the verge to get insane with DEVLIN but after reading all your posts , i choose the Zen attitude.
BUT : Dear Devlin have you ever consider that you are the one with THE NASTY look, that you love Robben so much that it comes to a vampire attitude , a strong desire to be in total fusion with the master , so strong that you forget to be just normal...........???????????

my 2 cents.
Michael

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I weigh in on the other side of the equation. I attended a guitar clinic of Robben's and he was very gracious and kind. But I did not think to bring my camera, t-shirts, guitar, stacks of cd's, etc. like many of the other attendees ... I too found their behavior distracting and rude. After all it was a clinic and we were there to listen, partcipate, and learn.

I feel very much the same way about a concert ... I've seen people shooting flash photos at a non stop constant rate forcing Robben to make a comment or even comments during a live performance. I personally do not get it. This is distracting to all who pay to see and hear the man.

While I enjoy and appreciate this man's talent ... I simply do not understand the point of an autograph. What does it prove? I do not understand the need to have some sort of posed photo with Robben where he might be forcing a smile just to accomodate or be polite. I would find it ridiculous and embarrasing to request. Believe me when I say that grabbing on to one of Robben's guitar picks will not rub off and make you a better person or player. Unless he knows you personally, the fact that he takes a picture with you does not mean that he likes you. If you want to get close to Robben, attend one of his clinics, listen to what he offers the world, and give the guy his due.
Bluelobster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:30 am    Post subject: aie Reply with quote

Hi Johann, i knew a guy in GIT he was so crazy about pics that he didn't even listen to the master classes he was just standing in the aisle just to make sure to be the first to have the opportunity to get a nice shot of him and "Artist". I was told that all the pics were sticked to one wall in his
practice room where he was teaching guitar no less no more (he was not graduated yet ???) and when asked if he personnally knew all this famous guitar players he answered : yes , sure, we have a special vibe together, this guy gave me a lot .................... Just insane.(Needless to say the sucker was french).
After looking the landau shot with 2 young guns making satanic fingerings
with horrible Maiden T.shirts, i think i might understand Mr Ford plus it's not new that he can't stand flashes on or off stage.

My only perversion is to ask an autograph , i find that this is the perfect medium for me to approach artists i really dig because it doesn't take a minut , it's not long , no risk to bother , it's up to him to have a chat with you and if not i am glad i was that close to him just as long as a hand signing a paper.

Now Devlin come back , explain, argue , shout, crie, bump,do something, there was not much action before your killer post. Twisted Evil

Last edited by Bluelobster on Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: