Robben Ford Discussion :: View topic - getting robben's sound in the studio
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through this link.
Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index

Robben Ford Discussion
The Official Robben Ford Discussion Group

www.RobbenFord.com
All Access Pass

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

getting robben's sound in the studio

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> The Daved Zone
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jb1030

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 7:24 am    Post subject: getting robben's sound in the studio Reply with quote

Daved,
I have been hooked on Robben's sound since the first day that I bought the Talk To Your Daughter CD about 14 years ago. I absolutely love his tone on that CD. I also love Albert Collin's tone on the Showdown CD.

I have my own one room home studio with an iso booth and am trying to get that 'sparkle' that those two CD's seem to have, especially the guitar sounds. I am using two SM57's for miking the front and back of my amp in the booth and run thru a tube preamp to my Roland VS-890. I just can't seem to get that 'sparkle' and it seems a little flat even though I try to do the best I can with EQing. I'm thinking of buying a BBE sonic maximizer to see if this will put the sparkle in the sound. Any suggestions?

I've tried just about every other source that I know to get some tips on this but they seem to be brick walls that I am running into.

Any help would be much appreciated.

PS What are some of the specs on Robben's new guitar of choice - the Baker? Is he still using old faithful? And one last thing - I think I hear some slight compression in Robben's sound - am I close?
JB
________
OREGON MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARY

Last edited by jb1030 on Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total
HHB

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

get your self a condensor mic, place it about 3 feet away from the speaker, continue to use the sm57 as a close mic, the condensor will add the sparkle, HHB
jb1030

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll try it and see how it works and I'll let you know.
________
MOTORCYCLE TIRES
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> The Daved Zone All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: