Robben Ford Discussion :: View topic - Disappointed fan
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through this link.
Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index

Robben Ford Discussion
The Official Robben Ford Discussion Group

www.RobbenFord.com
All Access Pass

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Disappointed fan
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bluelobster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Yes that's a god point but Reply with quote

BlueRunner wrote:
Cool OK, Blobby, just because Zinedine Zidane has injured himself once again and may still be limping when the World Cup finals begin is no reason to get all that upset. Take a deep breath ...

As for this thread in general, I actually appreciate devlin252's analogy. When it comes to Robben, a lot of us act like momma bears. Robben's playing, signing and writing is all fair game for comment, so long as the comments are fair and polite, but when they cross the line I'm proud to get up on my hind legs, growl, and bare my claws. (Just ask the folks here at the office -- I do it all the time when I get upset about something.)

Well don't get me wrong Blue , i'm not "that" kind of soccer addict , i'more kinda polyomelitic guy therefore individualistic . Now when it comes to breathing i must admit that having smoke during 30 years with such an application leads me to be very sparse (i hope you get my words).
Well i was on the point to edit , but not for cleaning up the bad words. Certainly not .

I wanted to say that it upset me that a guy who don't have any CD out, a guy who don't travel the world to play a lot of gigs , a guy who will never know how it is to hit the stage with Miles Davis, and it can take a long way to pursue............that kind of creeper is making a fuss about Poppa Bear not greeting him as his little cub.

I'm sorry Devlin must switch on Zidane may be?????????? Wink
kirk95
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I've been traveling and missed this thread until now..

So here's the deal guys. Let's PLEASE keep the discussion focused on opinions and NOT personal attacks.

Robben doesn't like flash photos taken of him. Some people/fans feel that as an artist, Robben should allow people to freely take photos of him.

That's a clear conflict of opinion between artist an some fans. That doesn't mean that Robben or the fan is right or wrong - it's a difference of opinion. That's what makes the world go round.

However, on this board the policy is NO PERSONAL attacks. So please everybody argue the facts and your position and refrain from personally attacking the person you disagree with.

Thanks everybody!

Peace!

PS: Any more vulgar name calling of Robben with result in immediate banishment from this board!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
midc74

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not trying to dredge up anything negative here... there has been too much said already.. and as most of us have experienced, through seeing and interacting with Robben on multiple occations, Robben is truely a kind gentleman, and probably puts up with more than you or I ever would.

With that being said, I would like to state something I don't think I've ever read in any of these "photo threads". This could be a relating factor as well, that maybe Robben has never expressed. I know, for me personally, direct flashes of intense light in my eyes, whether it be from a camera, strobe lights, or even the occational unexpected direct reflection of the sun durring a glance, can trigger an intense migraine headache for me. Needless to say, there arn't a whole lot of pictures of me in the "family albums", and any of the more recent pictures are quite dark, because I express my concern when I see a camera pointed in my direction, and most always my wishes are respected.

No matter what Robben's reasons are, the important thing is that we respect the few, simple requests he has of us.

- Patrick
BlueRunner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool midc74: Looking again at your avatar, I wonder if maybe it's that hat that makes Robben camera shy. I'm sure he thought at the time that it looked cool, mainly because at that time I had a hat that looked very much the same. Various members of my family have photos of me wearing my version of that hat, or worse, and from time to time when they want money, they mention the possiblity of releasing copies of their photos to the media ... or at least to this Board.
TC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably enough "Whaddya mean, Robben is a cool guy" stories, but let me add a couple more. I met Robben at a tiny club in Pasadena years ago. He had just put on an incredible set, we were all buzzing over it, and as we walked out, there he was just casually standing in the hallway near the exit. I happened to know a drummer he once worked with (John Ferraro), so stopped to say hi, was he working with John anymore, and he was kind enough to have a real conversation with me, albeit short. Just a guy, seemed to me. Of course, I didn't shove a camera in his face, so...

The other story is that I saw him play in a coffee shop place on the campus of UCLA. His wife was taking classes at the time, as I understood it. His brother was on harp. There were, what, 20 people in the crowd? and 6-7 musicians on stage, rockin'. Unforgettable night. He was casual, relaxed, and just playing amazing stuff. Was a huge fan before, this solidified it.

Just hard to imagine he would be rude or whatever. But we all have off days, eh?
hipbluescat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The what for reply is to really determine your intentions from him interacting on the forum.

I recommend that those who like to photos with a flash and flash it in your eyes and see the results.

Since Robben has Buddhist views I think he would really note your intentions.
anne
Robben Connection

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose you would never have thought that "the wife" would weigh in on this subject, and I am certainly not here to defend Robben if he has been rude to anyone. But I know that he is very sensitive, and lately he has been exhausted from working so hard, long hours, lots of travel, not enough sleep, and other grueling extremes of his life style. He is the first to admit that he is "not himself" and that he has sometimes behaved erratically, often as a knee jerk reaction to demands put on him ( usually right after he has played his butt off.) His fuel tank is on EMPTY. That's the best way I can describe it. Right now, he is on a solitary retreat trying to regroup and refuel. I will show him these posts when he gets home, as he never relates to the computer!
He is a nice person and has a good heart, and I know he would never want to hurt anyone. He gives so much of himself when he plays, maybe that is all he CAN give for the time being...
Happy new year, all.
Anne
gill

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject: meeting robben ford Reply with quote

i met robben during the tiger walk tour and he was relaxed and enjoying the crowd and questions. i agree with his wife. when you are out of fuel you need a break.....think about it when we all come home from our jobs. we don't need any crap or any one bothering us till we get something to eat and take a break. ive done some some small gigs where i just want to leave and not socialize .... give artists a break and no flash photos.
ducharme-jones

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread started back in '05 ?- Hell, I think I was pissed off in 2005 as well :0) - Why is it when I started to reply to this thread 'Water for the Wicked" started playing on my iTunes- seriously - no joke. Happy New Year everyone.
Sampo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anne (and Robben), I am really sorry to hear about situation ...

I have "met" him twice (seen him play 4-5 times). First time was 1992 in Helsinki, Finland before clinic/seminar type of gathering, Blue Line was touring to support first BL recording, which was not released here yet. I had cover of Talk To You Daughter w/ me and I was standing there talking with my friends going how great he is, there was know on my shoulder and there was Robben asking if he could help me with that cover. He even had pen with him, if I remember correctly. I have moved numerous times since, but that TTYD cover still hangs on the wall of my stydy/music room.

Second time was couple of years later during Pori Jazz festival. There was indoor gig in some club after outdoor concert in main stage. My brother and I met Tom Brechtlein before the geig, and he signed CD cover. After the gig we spotted Roscoe Beck and got autograhs too. He then went out to backstage to get autographs from Robben. Much to our surprise, they came back together and chatted with for a while. Very generous from all of them.

Please give my regards to Robben and thank him for continuos inspiration since 1988 issue of Guitar Player cover story (w/ Outside Woman Blues flexidisc).

Happy new year to everyone !!!
Sampo
PierreL

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anne, I hope Robben will recover quickly, I'm pretty sure that's everybody's feeling on this board.
Bonne Année 2011 à vous deux.
frank0936

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:44 am    Post subject: flash Reply with quote

midc74 wrote:
I'm not trying to dredge up anything negative here... there has been too much said already.. and as most of us have experienced, through seeing and interacting with Robben on multiple occations, Robben is truely a kind gentleman, and probably puts up with more than you or I ever would.

With that being said, I would like to state something I don't think I've ever read in any of these "photo threads". This could be a relating factor as well, that maybe Robben has never expressed. I know, for me personally, direct flashes of intense light in my eyes, whether it be from a camera, strobe lights, or even the occational unexpected direct reflection of the sun durring a glance, can trigger an intense migraine headache for me. Needless to say, there arn't a whole lot of pictures of me in the "family albums", and any of the more recent pictures are quite dark, because I express my concern when I see a camera pointed in my direction, and most always my wishes are respected.

No matter what Robben's reasons are, the important thing is that we respect the few, simple requests he has of us.

- Patrick

Patrick, I mentioned in one of these threads that I have seen Robben flinch every time a flash goes off and I said then that it was very possible that he has very sensitive eyes (to go with his incredible ears) and that flash photography is more painful to him than to most of us.

Anne, thank you for sharing that with us. We all hope Robben is successful in recharging his "batteries".
Frank
Piemonte

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I attended one of Robben's clinics in Brescia Italy and Robben gave his all for the entire day even talking to people at lunch time (myself included).
At the end of the clinic I could see Robben was extremely tired and when he tried to wrap it up some guys asked him if he would jam with them. Robben proceeded to jam with about four of the students one after another. When the clinic was over he signed autographs etc. Robben was a true gentlemen throughout the day and really gave everything he had to us for the whole day

Thanks Anne for you post and I hope Robben's Retreat is a success and look forward to seeing him in Torino next month for another clinic.
LesterB

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Robben live in a number of occasions he is always been extremely gracious with everyone, a true gentleman.

It is also very true that working long hours playing gigs day after day year after year must be exhausting. When you are under stress you can become less tolerant to a number of external stimuli, we all are human beings. I personally would start biting people for much less!

Anne, thanks a lot for sharing that with us.
pinner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anne wrote:
I suppose you would never have thought that "the wife" would weigh in on this subject, and I am certainly not here to defend Robben if he has been rude to anyone. But I know that he is very sensitive, and lately he has been exhausted from working so hard, long hours, lots of travel, not enough sleep, and other grueling extremes of his life style. He is the first to admit that he is "not himself" and that he has sometimes behaved erratically, often as a knee jerk reaction to demands put on him ( usually right after he has played his butt off.) His fuel tank is on EMPTY. That's the best way I can describe it. Right now, he is on a solitary retreat trying to regroup and refuel. I will show him these posts when he gets home, as he never relates to the computer!
He is a nice person and has a good heart, and I know he would never want to hurt anyone. He gives so much of himself when he plays, maybe that is all he CAN give for the time being...
Happy new year, all.
Anne

Anne, it shows a lot of class and character to come on here and explain the situation. I thank you for that. Working in a environment where I deal with people on a daily basis, I have truly learned that there are a lot of selfish people who live with blinders. It's one thing to sit and enjoy a show and another to work your butt off to entertain a crowd of "guitar players" lol. I saw Robben two times. I bumped into him after the first show and said a quick Hi and he was very polite. I saw him recently after a renegade creation show and went to speak to him, but he looked "occupied" and quickly left after talking to a friend. Who am I to demand he talk to me. I did have great conversations with other members including Mike Landau but I do NOT begrudging Robben at all. We are all "people" and have our moments and deal with things differently. I am a pretty mellow person but can get real pissy and grumpy too LOL. Just ask my wife lol!! Some people take things to seriously and personally, and hope those can look at Robben as a musician and more importantly a person. I wish peace and happiness for both of you and please communicate that there are many of us that just happy to hear and experience his gift and nothing more. God Bless!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: