Robben Ford Discussion :: View topic - Exeter Phoenix
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through this link.
Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index

Robben Ford Discussion
The Official Robben Ford Discussion Group

www.RobbenFord.com
All Access Pass

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Exeter Phoenix

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Henry Dunn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Exeter Phoenix Reply with quote

I went along to see Robben at the Phoenix last thursday, and I just want to say, on behalf of Exeter fans, sorry for the appalling pa. Its been a problem at the Phoenix for a long time, and they are not going to continue to attract the best quality musicians unless they sort it out. Despite this, Robben's playing was awesome. I saw him a few years ago at the Jazz cafe, and he seemed a little restrained, this time he was letting rip more, with more expansive solos, so much so that he broke a string. He couldn't even use his other guitar, cos Steve Winwood had it! This was probably due to the powerhouse backing of Gary Novak and Melvin Davis - loved the bass solo in Tigerwalk. It was amazing to see Steve Winwood turn up too, and the gracious way Robben let him play, and provided brilliant comping. Robben is a great arranger, and the most complete guitarist I've heard. It's just a shame the venue wasn't as good as him. Also, I resent having to listen to a second rate support band, delaying my pleasure. I've paid to see Robben! I do hope Robben will return to Exeter. Hopefully the phoenix will sort out the sound by then. Otherwise, a truly memorable night.
paul c

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with everything you've said. Although I was under the impression that the sound guy was with the band, rather than the Phoenix' own.

The total lack of acoustic design considerations in that place doesn't help, either.
Daved
Robben Connection

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robben's 'entourage' was the 3 band members and myself, traveling with the 3 members of the Sam C. Lees band... all of us at the mercy of the local 'elements'. Wink

"This boy's diseased with rhythm!" -Bing Crosby (Road To Rio, '49)
paul c

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Ah Reply with quote

I stand corrected!

I hope you all enjoyed the experience enough (sound problems notwithstanding) to want to return at some point.

PS - what a tremondous backing band.
paul c

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: The Phoenix Reply with quote

I emailed the Phoenix and this is the response I got:

Paul
Thanks for your comments.
I wasn't at this gig but I'm surprised to hear of your criticism of the sound. We had an experienced sound engineer working that night and the sound has been particularly good recently, especially since we purchased a new mixing desk a year ago, and yours is the first complaint I've had since. It could be that he was mixing to the orders of the band, who happened to want it that way. Yes, the room does have lots of hard surfaces which is not ideal. We are looking to treat the walls with some acoustic padding which we have obtained to deaden the sound.
Patrick

Patrick Cunningham
Director
Exeter Phoenix
Bradninch Place
Gandy Street
Exeter
01392 667057

Hmmmm. Polite, out-of-hand dismissal?
apepp

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

...first time i saw robben ford play live and in my home town of exeter i couldn't believe of all the places he was playing here...

...as i have no other robben gigs to compare to i was in awe at the masterful playing, i loved it. The bass player was outstanding and I thought the support group were great too. Of course you could tell they were not as structured and tight as robben's group, i enjoted the whole gig nonetheless...

...with regards to the sound, considering the venue, i think it was great, i could see robben pointing out the PA issue at the start of the gig. Very glad they didn't play the gig at the cavern, that would have been even worse. I saw U2 this year at twickenham and i have to say the sound there was worse than the phoenix from my point of view...

...looking forward to seeing robben again in the UK, i would be willin to travel any distance in the UK to see him play, knowing I won't be dissapointed...

Laughing

Andrew
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: