Robben Ford Discussion :: View topic - RF and the Ford Brothers Band coming to town
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through this link.
Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index

Robben Ford Discussion
The Official Robben Ford Discussion Group

www.RobbenFord.com
All Access Pass

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RF and the Ford Brothers Band coming to town

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jconstant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: RF and the Ford Brothers Band coming to town Reply with quote

Just got tickets to see the brothers at Backstage at The Vault in Long Beach on Feb 14th. I've been wanting to see them for many years so I'm really looking forward to it.

If anybody else is going to be there, let me know!
Fordcaster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You lucky dog. I've been trying to get a copy of that Seirra Center Stage Gig they did on video or DVD. I'm over here on the east coast and I don't see any plans for them coming over here soon. Enjoy... that will be something real fine!
sfhalo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, I got mine for Thursday, Feb. 15, at The Coach House in San Juan Capistrano! Needless to say.........it should be a great show! I've seen Robben in concert three times in the San Diego area, but never with his brothers and I'm really looking forward to it.
PaulG

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi 'J'!!
It appears the Vault show was moved to the Malibu Inn. They seem to be owned by the same folks. I got this from the Bluerockit website.

On Valentines day!! My wife doesn't want to go, but says I can go. I'm not sure, but I think this is a good thing. Either I've got the best wife around, or something's going on!
pg
jconstant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Paul. I got the call from the Vault letting me know of the change in venue. I called the Malibu Inn to find out how things work there with dinner and all that. The guy I talked to said if you show up for dinner you'll get a seat. But, come show time, they take out any unused seats and it's pretty much standing room only.

The place sounds pretty cool and it's been around quite a long time. I get the feeling it will be a very cool, intimate setting. Can't wait!

See you there.

Jim
PaulG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This won't be much of a review, but I feel compelled to acknowledge this kickoff show of the recent tour.
First off, it was nice to meet up with jconstant again. Celebrating Valentines day like a winner.
The Malibu Inn was definately a cool, old place. Pictures of movie stars dating back to the 40s were plastered all over the place. I got there before they opened , got myself a bar stool, and sat for 1hr 45min waiting for the show.
A big dissapointment was that Mark Ford was not playing. No harp. A keyboardist, bass, Volker Strifler, Pat Ford, and Robben. John, maybe you can provide names for the others.
As the first show of the night, and first night of the tour, there were a few glitches, but I felt things went pretty smoothly. Sound was pretty good. As is usually the case when I've seen Robben with his brothers, he seems more laid back and mellow than when he leads his own band.
I won't attempt the setlist, but they played tunes from Keep On Runnin, Blue Moon, and the tribute cds. Volker did a couple tunes of his and sang 'Another Fine Day'. My favorite of the night was 'Got a Mind to Give up Living'. Great slow blues and wicked guitar solos.
A nice surprise was Kirk Fletcher (Mannish Boys/Fab Thunderbirds) was asked to join in and he also smoked.I talked to him later and he is such a nice guy.
Robben played a goldtop LP with P90s and used a Super Veverb mic'd.
I was not aware there was going to be a late show until I showed up. Would've like to stay for it, but I had made arrangements to get back home. (Hey, it was Valentines day afterall).
I expect the 2nd show was better, and that the remaining shows on this tour will be better yet.
Go see them if you can!!!
pg
Blue Kind

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I blew off my wife for Valentines day and caught the second half of the first set and the whole second set. I've seen Robben so many times, in so many setting and lineups but never in this one. It was very refreshing as they played more straight ahead blues tunes in a very relaxed, jam like atmosphere. Robben seemed to be following along on the Ford Blues band tunes and the band was following along on the Robben tunes. There was quite a bit of discussion before each tune and looking around to make sure everyone was aware of breaks and endings but it was great to see them in a more off the cuff, less polished, loose setting. They all seemed to be having so much fun and took us with them. As describe Robben was just running a gold top LP thru a Zen drive into a Super Reverb. Just a guitar though an amp, a simpler straight ahead tone. It was such an enjoyable expierence. Volker Strifler is a great player and really good singer. He compliments Robben's style with a differnet flavor, I actually liked his playing a little better than Robbens on the straight ahead (not shuffle or swing) up tempo blues tunes. I would have loved to see Mark with the band as I've never seen him play only listened to him on many records. Just a footnote, Mike Landau was there as well and Robben tried to get him up to play but he was just wanted to enjoy the show like the rest of us. Great evening and worth a few honey doo's to make the show.
Red Suede

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Myron Dove-Bass? (Short, black, dreadlocked). John R. Burr-Keyboards? (thin, white, blondish hair)
Blue Kind

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Myron was on bass but that was not the keyboardist name.
jconstant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see you there, Paul. I’m seeing more and more people I recognize these days at Robben’s gigs.

I’ll add a link to some pics (both people and gear) later today so check back if you want to check them out. A guy came up to the stage and was set to take some pictures during a tune and Robben obviously turned his back to him as a not-so-subtle signal. Then when the guy was going to try again Robben gave him ‘the Heisman’ and he backed off. I just snapped some from my table, NO FLASH, and in between the sets so as not to bother him.

The band was:
Robben Ford - Guitar/Vocals
Patrick Ford - Drums
Volker Strifler – Guitar/Vocals
Myrone Dove – Bass (http://www.santana.com/players/myron.asp)
Tony LaFonzo(?) – Keys

Absent from this list, as Paul mentioned, was Mark. I was very disappointed so when I said hi to Robben after the show I asked him where Mark was. He said, “He’s just not here. He’s on a hiatus.” So, I just left it at that.

This was their first night out so, again as Paul mentioned, there were some glitches, but nothing that really prevented it from being a great show. Robben had a problem all night with a buzzing coming from a floor monitor (I think).

The first set went like this:

Keep On Running
Cannonball Shuffle
Another Fine Day (man I love that tune)
Indianola
I’ve Got a Mind to Give Up Living (fantastic)
Doggin’ It
Don’t Deny Your Love
It’s About Time (damn! they played the shit out of this. Loved it!)
Glamour Girl (I’m guessing on this one Volker sang)
Homework
Movin’ On

I could only stay for a few songs of the second set, but I’m glad I did. I heard what I’m thinking might be a new tune from Robben that might be titled Run Out of Time. Again, total guess on my part. Then was Tired of Talkin’ and I had to split. Any night but a weeknight and I would have been there to the end.

Robben seemed to be jumping out of his shoes with excitement. Maybe it’s been awhile since he’s performed and it’s built up inside him but I don’t think I’ve ever seen him quite like this (and I’ve seen him play more times than you can probably count). He played up on his toes most of the time and played the shit out of that LP. He was just on fire.

Being the first night, there were some forgotten vocals, missed choruses, faulty endings, but it was all fun and everyone just laughed about it. Nice to see everyone so loose and having a good time.

Kirk sounded great and Michael Landau was there with his wife, but unfortunately, didn’t sit in.

The Malibu Inn is a great place for a show and I learned from the manager why the venue was changed. The original venue, Backstage Jazz & Blues Supper Club, hasn’t opened yet so they moved it to Malibu.

Between sets I walked over to Robben to say a very quick hi and shake his hand. He said, ‘Hey, I know you…”. I smiled and reminded him that I sat in his living room in his favorite chair all day for the October guitar clinic. It’s nice when your guitar hero recognizes you (and doesn’t back away for fear you’re a stalker Laughing ).

So, no surprises. Great music, Robben tore it up, the band was also fantastic and lots of fun had by all!
JavaDiva

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for the reviews, guys, and hope to hear more news from the upcoming shows. I'm looking forward to seeing Robben and the Ford Blues Band next week in Salem and Portland, Oregon. Could use a little sunshine up here in rain country. Smile
jconstant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few pics from last night...

http://web.mac.com/jconstant/iWeb/Robben/Photos.html
sfhalo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I just got home from Robben & The Ford Band's show at The Coach House in San Juan Capistrano and, of course, it was a killer show! The band opened with an incredible version of "Lovin' Cup" and really got the show rockin'!
First........the good news..........Robben said he just finished recording his new CD. The bad news...........it won't be available until August!
Tonight, one of the songs the band played, "Too Much", was written by Robben's nephew, Gabriel Ford. Robben said he loves this song and also recorded it with Larry Carlton while in Tokyo.
Robben was playing the Goldtop Les Paul w/P-90 pickups and a "Stop Tailpiece".......no Tune-O-Matic bridge. I've never seen him play this guitar before........wonder where he got it.
I've seen Robben in person sevaral times and have never seen him attack his solos the way he did tonight.........he was really on fire! And, those crystal chords.............I think Robben is also one of the best rhythm guitarists I've ever seen...........there's just something about the way he "pushes" the songs with his rhythms.
The band was very tight and I thought Patrick Ford played his ass off.....what a drummer.
I hope they come back to the San Diego area another time in the near future..........I'd love to see them again at this venue.
Oh Yeah............at one point during the show, Robben said it was more fun playing with these guys than his own band! It just shows what a good time he was having and it definitely showed in his playing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: