Robben Ford Discussion :: View topic - Robben Ford letdown in Portland, Oregon last night
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through this link.
Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index

Robben Ford Discussion
The Official Robben Ford Discussion Group

www.RobbenFord.com
All Access Pass

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Robben Ford letdown in Portland, Oregon last night
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bluelobster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:18 am    Post subject: Who said that Reply with quote

YELLOW JACKET :

Open your ears, open your heart, come back on earth.
Blablablablabla. It's not even funny . I am sure before logging on this board you were lurking a lot so you knew about camera shots and blablabla

I think your jacket is yellow on the front and brown in the back. Wink
JohnnyZ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's ba-ack! Very Happy

I almost forgot what a Blob rant looked like! Twisted Evil Welcome home, Blobby!
frank0936

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:50 am    Post subject: Yes, he is! Reply with quote

And what a rant it was!
Frank
bluzboyy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can actually see where he is coming from. If you have a room full of people who have laid down hard earned scratch to see you do your thing, you can't let flash photography or someone taking your picture take you outa your game. I'm sorry, but I expect professionalism from the professional on stage, and not some attitude of "How dare they distract me". I guess playing rough and tumble biker bars for years has taught me that no matter what's happening on the floor in front of you, your job is to deliver the music.

I tend to think that many performers need to check themselves and remember that the audience comes first, not your oversensitivity to flash bulbs. As a matter of fact if you can't handle flash bulbs, maybe the entertainment industry is the wrong place for you.

Just my $.02, and I'm sure YMMV.

For what it's worth Robben is in the top 3 influences for guitarists on my own playing and I love the guy if for only that.
Cal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't agree bluezy. What you pay for is the artist to play for you not for the artist to cater to you. You don't choose the set list, you don't choose the gear, you don't choose a lot of things. Like Lobster said, with Robben it's very clear what he asks of his audience. In exchange he gives you the best performance he can. We all know that when we go there. They announce it before the show, he asks people not to do it while the show is on.

So there I am wanting Robben to play his best for me and some guy next me insists on taking flash pics, bothering Robben after he asked not to -- it's not fair to Robben, me and the others who are there to hear him give us his best. And frankly, it's flat out rude.

It's about respecting him so he can perform. If a person on the street asked you to respect his wishes, you'd do it. Why wouldn't you do it for a performer you respect?

And as for the bars -- we've all been there playing your heart out and some guy is yelling for something we don't play. Hey it's his right -- doesn't make him any less of a jerk. But I don't think there's any comparison between us bar rock stars and Robben. He's way past that point.

My two cents.

Cal
bluzboyy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cal wrote:
I can't agree bluezy. What you pay for is the artist to play for you not for the artist to cater to you. You don't choose the set list, you don't choose the gear, you don't choose a lot of things. Like Lobster said, with Robben it's very clear what he asks of his audience. In exchange he gives you the best performance he can. We all know that when we go there. They announce it before the show, he asks people not to do it while the show is on.

So there I am wanting Robben to play his best for me and some guy next me insists on taking flash pics, bothering Robben after he asked not to -- it's not fair to Robben, me and the others who are there to hear him give us his best. And frankly, it's flat out rude.

It's about respecting him so he can perform. If a person on the street asked you to respect his wishes, you'd do it. Why wouldn't you do it for a performer you respect?

And as for the bars -- we've all been there playing your heart out and some guy is yelling for something we don't play. Hey it's his right -- doesn't make him any less of a jerk. But I don't think there's any comparison between us bar rock stars and Robben. He's way past that point.

My two cents.

Cal

First there's the assumption that everyone in the place knows Robben's likes and dislikes. We all know because we are fanatics.

But this way past that point thing is what gets me. Bar owners expect me to be way past the point of being distracted and I'm not making anywhere close to the money of the "pros". Again, if you're playing live you need to be able to handle jerks with grace and ease, and not short the rest of the audience who is behaving. I see this as the artist putting the jerk before the rest of the audience. In addition, I really don't think someone taking your picture, flash or not, is really that distracting. Just imagine that at your job if you told the boss you just couldn't do your best work because of some little distraction? People go to work everyday through the worst distractions and are expected to do thier job and do it well. This is where a little real world experience might do an artist some good and remind them just how blessed they are to play music for a living.
bluzboyy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me reitterate that I love Robben's music, and in my experience he has been the consummate performer.

My whole argument is based on the premise that things went the way the thread starter said they did. If that's the case then I don't get too precious over anyone.

I also don't agree with writing someone off even if it was a lousy performance, which I doubt. Robben at his worst is better than most at their best! Smile
Red Suede

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might not be distracting to you, but obviously distracting to Robben, or there would be nothing said about it. Pretty simple.
JohnnyZ

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, interesting opposing arguments presented by bluzboyy and Cal. I found myself agreeing then disagreeing with both. And, I especially commend them for staying with the basis of their arguments without becoming ugly, which I've seen ad nauseum elsewhere. And, that's why this forum is the best!
Phil T

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Johnny, so nice to to see the discussion stay civil.
If I had to weigh in though, I find myself leaning toward Cal (FWIW). I think the bar playing vs what Robben does to be apples & oranges.
JohnnyZ wrote:
Actually, interesting opposing arguments presented by bluzboyy and Cal. I found myself agreeing then disagreeing with both. And, I especially commend them for staying with the basis of their arguments without becoming ugly, which I've seen ad nauseum elsewhere. And, that's why this forum is the best!
jconstant

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluzboyy wrote:
I can actually see where he is coming from. If you have a room full of people who have laid down hard earned scratch to see you do your thing, you can't let flash photography or someone taking your picture take you outa your game. I'm sorry, but I expect professionalism from the professional on stage, and not some attitude of "How dare they distract me". I guess playing rough and tumble biker bars for years has taught me that no matter what's happening on the floor in front of you, your job is to deliver the music.

I tend to think that many performers need to check themselves and remember that the audience comes first, not your oversensitivity to flash bulbs. As a matter of fact if you can't handle flash bulbs, maybe the entertainment industry is the wrong place for you.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you on that.

I think it's a matter of respect to not distract a performer and I don't think it's up to the audience to decide what's distracting and what's not, whether it's a biker bar or Robben Ford or whoever. I think it's also disrespectful to the others there to see a show. I can't tell you how many times I've seen Robben and he's playing his ass of on a slow tune and people at the tables around me are yapping so loudly I can't enjoy the show.

Think of it like this. Is it okay to walk up to a stage at a play and start taking pictures or yapping during the performance? How about during a ballet or symphony performance? (I'll assume the answer most would give is 'No') So then why is it okay at a show of Robben's or anybody else's for that matter.

This is NOT directed at anyone here - but it bugs me when I see people who express displeasure over bad behavior looked at as intolerant or unreasonable. More people should be encouraging good, respectful behavior.
JavaDiva

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Gabe Ford, Mike Osborn Reply with quote

Okay, gotta get another 2 cents worth in here regarding the remark about Pat "letting his kid" play the drums. First of all, Gabe Ford is no "kid" (unless you're old like me), he's an experienced musician who not only wrote that song, but also played it on Robben's upcoming CD release and also on his (Gabe's) own new CD. Here's some info from Gabe's bio on the Blue Rock'It site:

Gabe Ford - Gabe has worked in the San Francisco Bay Area with all types of bands playing all kinds of music. He honed his blues chops working with Chris Cain, Mike Osborn, Mark Ford, Garth Webber, and others. He recorded with Cain and Osborn and wrote and sang "Be Careful What You Wish For" on the Ford Blues Band Another Fine Day release.

While Gabe has spent much of his musical career working as a drummer and singer, on this release his talent as a singer/songwriter comes to the forefront. All but two songs are Gabe Ford originals. In addition, Gabe plays keyboard and guitar on many of the tracks. Backing up Gabe on the CD are family and friends well-known to Blue Rock'It fans. Robben and Mark Ford make appearances as does Chris Cain. Dewayne Pate plays bass on all but two tracks. The material is definitely not your typical blues fare. It may prove to be a bit too far astray for some. But, that has often been said about the Ford Family. Seeing Gabe continue the family style on his new CD should come as no surprise.

My other comment is that the "sideman" Robben asked to play lead while Robben sang a tune is Mike Osborn, who played with John Lee Hooker for 13 years. He is a longtime friend of the Fords and talented musician who now lives in Portland. Robben usually invites him up for a couple tunes when he plays here, and I thought it was great to hear Mike take the lead while Robben sang. One of the things that really impresses me about Robben is his willingness to turn the spotlight on his fellow players and to show his real appreciation for their talents.
JavaDiva

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Myron Dove Reply with quote

And, oh yeah, I forgot to mention ... Myron Dove on bass... damn, that guy can play. WOW. Cool

And welcome back Blobby!
gdolim

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JavaDiva, thanks for coming to Gabe's defense. I tried to defend him a little bit in one of my earlier posts.

From my POV, the whole energy of the band elevated up when Gabe stepped into the driver's seat. It was real interesting to watch, and I thoroughly enjoyed his drumming and the couple of songs he played on.

To re-iterate the point, he is a very gifted musician and not just "Pat's son." Heck, Robben recorded at least one of his compositions for his upcoming album. That's gotta say something.
Bluelobster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: BLUES Reply with quote

few months ago we had Devlin, now we had Jacket.

Lack of perspective. That is missing to these people no matter how long they are fans. And a fan it's just a ventilator in a certain way.

The matter is to not throw shit , 'coz when shit hit the fan it makes your jacket brown everywhere.

Ahem , sorry about that. Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: