Robben Ford Discussion :: View topic - Opinions on new CD, L. Carlton with R. Ford Live in Tokyo ?
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through this link.
Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index

Robben Ford Discussion
The Official Robben Ford Discussion Group

www.RobbenFord.com
All Access Pass

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Opinions on new CD, L. Carlton with R. Ford Live in Tokyo ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PierreL

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:39 am    Post subject: Opinions on new CD, L. Carlton with R. Ford Live in Tokyo ? Reply with quote

Hi all.
I have received this CD "Larry Carlton with Special Guest Robben Ford - Live in Tokyo" (bought from Ebay by the way, got it quicker than through Amazon) last week.
I would like to know what you think of it, for those who have purchased it.

As far as I am concerned, I think it's a good CD, but it lacks something, that's a bit difficult to define, maybe some fire ?
Anyway, there still is some good playing from both guitarists, the band is tight, maybe the songs are not all great. I would have loved an "All Blues" in the style of Larry Carlton's "Last Nite" CD.
I also prefer when Robben's tone is thicker, like on Jing Chi's live album. Here it's a bit too thin for my taste, yet it's still a great tone.
Now, I'm curious to see the DVD which should have been also shot during the Paris concerts.
fig

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also bought it off eBay. I'm going to be honest here and say that , even though I've been a fan of Carlton's since the 70's, I wasn't real impressed with his playing on this CD. But that's just me.

However, I loved Robben's playing, as usual. I'm not sure what amp he was using, but then again, his tone changes. And it depends on how it was recorded too.

I agree about Robben's tone with Jing Chi. That's my favorite OD tone from him.

In all, I like the CD. Very Happy
henkholland

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the CD, especially track 3 Cold gold.
Henk
sfhalo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads-up on the availability of the CD on eBay.........I ordered mine this morning and will let you know my opinion after receiving & listening to it. By the way, if anyone else is interested.........there are now 6 copies left for sale on the e-Bay site:
http://cgi.ebay.com/LARRY-CARLTON-ROBBEN-FORD-LIVE-IN-TOKYO-JAPANCD-2007_W0QQitemZ230097987605QQihZ013QQcategoryZ307QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
fig

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my earlier post I said I didn't know what amp Robben used on the CD. Now that I read the notes and looked at the pics, he used his Dumble. Smile
roadwarriorfortheblues

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've listened to the clips on the JVC web site and I think this CD is the JVC-equivalent of an instant live or authorized bootleg. It's a souvenir of the show that's being made available to everyone whether you went to the festival or not.

It represents the music that was performed live during the show(s), not what these two artists are capable of if they were to produce their own CD or DVD. It's supposedly the best parts/highlights of their performance.

It seems a lot projects don't make it to market for whatever reason. If something else gets released on DVD in the future, it will probably be much different than this instant live product.

Although it's a lot of money for 8 live songs, it's a historic release considering how many folks have been waiting years and years to hear these two artists play together again.

The link to hear the sound clips is:

http://www.jvcmusic.co.jp/-/Discography/A020869/VICJ-61429.html
sfhalo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well..........my "Larry Carlton with Special Guest Robben Ford - Live in Tokyo" CD arrived in today's mail from Japan..........I had cancelled my order with cdUniverse and ordered it from eBay learning that it was available now. It took about 8-10 days after ordering it and I received a follow-up message saying it was shipped.......very professional. As I'm writing this message, I'm listening to the CD.......great quality! The second song, Burnable, is a killer......great playing by both and a very cool groove! A few interestings notes about the packaging: There is a beautiful embossed photo of the cover on the inside of the case under the CD.......looks like a bronzed embossed photo......very, very cool! The liner notes booklet contains a separate four-page sheet listing the songs and notes in Japanese. The English notes tell, in their own words, how Robben & Larry met and how they feel about each others playing and each other, in general......very nice. Also, a few interesting notes about their equipment.......both using Dumbles and the notes say that Robben's Gold Top Les Paul is "on long-term loan from LC." Also, as far as I can see, this CD was not done as an "instant live or authorized bootleg".........it is an extremely well produced CD and was mixed & mastered in California, as noted in the liner notes. This is a CD you'll want to own.........guaranteed!
JohnnyZ

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrian, what's the name of the record label?
sfhalo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny: It's on JVC..........fabulous CD! Since its arrival yesterday, I've listened to it 3 times and love it.........wonderful playing interaction between Robben & Larry and the band is great. In October, two days before attending one of Robben's clinics in Ojai, CA, I saw Robben & Larry together in San Diego and, though I loved the show, wasn't thrilled with the drummer and the keyboard layer. But, this lineup............absolutely super. I can't wait to get the DVD when it's released. I've seen the online video from the show containing 3 songs and the final release shoule be super. Hope this helps.
JohnnyZ

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>> It's on JVC

Geezum! How many record companies are putting this thing out?! The 2 labels that I posted about yesterday which are either available now (but backordered) or at the end of this month are Victor and EMI, and both are listed as Japanese imports!
sfhalo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems very strange that 3 different companies would produce the same CD.........I'd be leery of any that show "backordered" as the status. I can see how a U.S. version could be delayed at this point in time (like the cdUniverse version), but not the JVC Japan version. And, considering the fact that it was produced by LC for 335 Records and mixed & mastered in the U.S.........it seems to make sense that only one label would have the "rights" for distribution. But......what the heck do I know! I'm just an aging guitarist! If you're interested in the import CD, there are 2 available on eBay where I bought mine:
http://cgi.ebay.com/LARRY-CARLTON-ROBBEN-FORD-LIVE-IN-TOKYO-JAPAN-CD-2007_W0QQitemZ230101177018QQcategoryZ307QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
JohnnyZ

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to take a shot at the version available at the end of the month (28 and change with free shipping at cdnow). It'll be interesting to compare features (liner notes, etc.)...
SuperReverb2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the CD as well, and it's the one that was advertised on E-Bay. The transaction was very professional, and as mentioned above, the "bronze" style embossed photo and liner notes are very cool. The CD is good (quite good actually) but to my ears, in a comparison with my other Carlton and Ford CD's, espeically Jing Chi Live for Ford or Last Nite for Carlton, (both live obviously) I find the overall mix of this latest CD quite poor. While I do like it (the first three songs are great) I think I'll like the DVD MUCH better as I believe this particular show must be watched as well as listened to, to fully apprecitae it.

Chuck

Super Reverb, Carol-Ann 100 watt 6L6 combo, Bludotone 100 watt head and 2 x 12 cabinet.

Malekko Spring Chicken, Malekko Spring Chicken Limited Edition, Hermida Reverb,
T-Rex Room Mate, TC Electronics 2290

OKKO Diablo, Burnetti Amps Mercury Box, Skeddy Srewdriver, FET Dream, Wampler Super Ecstasy.

Furman Power Factor Pro

Van Den Hul Cables

V-Picks
frank0936

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:43 am    Post subject: Tokyo Live Reply with quote

I have been listening to the new CD almost non stop since I got it. I'm really excited about the DVD coming out, too. I thought the CD was excellent.
Frank
Badronald

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Tokyo Live Reply with quote

frank0936 wrote:
I have been listening to the new CD almost non stop since I got it. I'm really excited about the DVD coming out, too. I thought the CD was excellent.
Frank

When is the DVD supposed to come out? I cannot find anything regarding it's release.
Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: