Robben Ford Discussion :: View topic - any Allman Brothers Fans on here?
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through this link.
Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index

Robben Ford Discussion
The Official Robben Ford Discussion Group

www.RobbenFord.com
All Access Pass

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

any Allman Brothers Fans on here?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ellsworth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: any Allman Brothers Fans on here? Reply with quote

flying out to see them in NYC on thursday, can't wait Razz
JohnnyZ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy, ellsworth! I'm a huge ABB fan. They're by far the band I've seen the most in my concert-going history. And, I'm happy to have experienced a Beacon Theater show...
Daved
Robben Connection

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The band has worked up some new musical surprises for their fans this year (Can you say "Led Zepplin" or "Jimi Hendrix" amongst other things? Wink ).
Gregg aso is performing "Midnight Rider" on acoustic guitar (as he does in his Gregg Allman & Friends format) with the Allman Brothers Band for the first time.

Of course, they will be spreading the surprises out through the 3 weeks of shows and won't be doing them all in one night, but rest assured you can expect some of the unexpected.

Hopfully you'll have a good time.

BTW, the weather has cleared up here and, though chilly in the mornings, should be very nice for your visit.

"This boy's diseased with rhythm!" -Bing Crosby (Road To Rio, '49)
Daved
Robben Connection

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally, you ABB fans might find it interesting to know that one afternoon during rehearsals in Atlanta 3 weeks ago, a projector, screen and sound system were set up in the studio next door so that a noted filmmaker (sorry, forgot his name) could show us some restored footage of one of the earliest ABB shows on film.

He told us it was at a festival in Georgia back in the late 60's, similar to Woodstock. The band was still virtually unknown and performed early in the day. The crowd was so blown away that the promoters asked the band to play again that night in the headline position for the day... which they did. This was the performance that is pretty much credited as the band's first real exposure to the world... the show that launched them out of nowhere and upwards to the stardom they were to acheive.

This filmmaker told us how excited they were to have this multicamera shoot, but how broken hearted he was when an unfortunate accident apparently wiped the reel with the ABB clean.

He continued the story of how he has held onto that footage thru all these years and everything possible to restore it was done... unsucessfully... until recently when someone he knew asked him to dig it out and try some sort of new "reverse negative" process.

Lo and behold, to his extreme pleasure, it worked! The footage has been recovered though it is faded and water/mold damaged.

This filmmaker says that can all be fixed and with today's technologies the film can now be cleaned up and restored and he wants to finally fulfill a lifelong dream of putting together the documentary of this festival and the "Brothers" debut, but of course he needs the bandmembers permissions to the rights, etc., so he set up this viewing for the band.

There was about 45 minutes of film which really was quite impressive and the ABB members and crew enjoyed watching it.
I don't know what will become of the legalities to follow, but possibly this documentary will at last get completed in the next couple of years.

If you are into the Allman Brothers Band, you might want to keep an eye open for this documentary's release sometime in the future.

"This boy's diseased with rhythm!" -Bing Crosby (Road To Rio, '49)
frank0936

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:17 am    Post subject: ABB film Reply with quote

I wonder if that is the same festival that was recently released as a two CD set. If so, I have the CD and it is great. BTW, the ABB was the first live concert I ever saw. It was a great experience, but they were a tough act to follow!
Frank
JavaDiva

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: ABB Reply with quote

I took a friend along who had never heard Robben play live to a recent show, and told them that they were in for a treat, as they would hear unique playing better than any they had heard before. About two songs into the set, my friend said to me "He's good, but I have heard playing like this before."

I asked "who?", ready to challenge whatever answer came out, when he said "Duane Allman". 'nuf said
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: