Robben Ford Discussion :: View topic - calling all tone gurus
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through this link.
Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index

Robben Ford Discussion
The Official Robben Ford Discussion Group

www.RobbenFord.com
All Access Pass

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

calling all tone gurus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> The Daved Zone
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mojolang

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: calling all tone gurus Reply with quote

Right now I play a marshall TSL 2x12. After doing much research, I've decided it's time to upgrade. Obviously price is a concern, but also getting the perfect sound for the music I want to play.

The Tone:

Joe Bonamassa, Scott Henderson, Santana, Jimmy Mcintosh, Eric Johnson, Al Di Meola (circa 1976-1980).

I was raised on the blues, but I also want to be able to play Wayne Shorter and John Coltrane out of my amp and in small clubs.

I love Robben, but I'm not sure his tone is really gainy enough for my sound...

Whatever I get, I figure I will run through a 4x12 of vintage greenbacks or blackbacks.

The Choices:

The OD-100 Classic

This is the obvious choice, but the price on these AIN'T cheap. This get's the heavenly tone of Scott, Landau, and McIntosh, and if money wasn't an issue, I might just get one of these. But this is the most expensive route.

The Fuchs Mod:

According to Bonamassa:

The best dumble style amp have run across is the a amp that I use in europe and will have in the states later this month. Its called a Twinkleland and its made by Peter VanWeelden in Holland. Simply a stunning amp. The Two Rock has more of a high gain Eric Johnson thing.. Alot of people rave about the clean sound about those.. I think there is something wrong with mine cause it has no clean headroom.. The reason I havent sent it back to get serviced is that I really like it the way it is.. The fuchs is a combination of the the two amps I just described. All very good, very articulate and very direct. They are good a showcasing all my mistakes. Like playing a acoustic guitar in a outside way.. thanks Joe Bonamassa

This sounds pretty great and is considerably less than the ODC. My concern would be gain versatility. The Fuchs is the only one of the three I've had the chance to play, and it sounds pretty good.

The Caswell Marshall Mod

http://onfinite.com/libraries/1105980/9f9.jpg

As far as gain goes, this thing looks awesome. My concern is kind of the opposite of the fuchs, how is the clean going to be?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Joe
Red Suede

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talked to Ray Gomez about the OD series and he told me that since I already had a modified 71 Marshall head, if I didn't need dead clean for funk or something the Marshall with pedals should be fine. Seems true because I heard Scott Henderson say that he likes a hint of distortion, dosen't really use dead clean anymore, and that's why he uses only the one channel on his Classic.
bluzboyy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Dumble inspired amp called the Super Overdrive manufactured by Glaswerks in Arizona. I've owned a Fuchs ODS, as well as a Two Rock Topaz (very similar to the Emerald Pro).

If the only thing that makes you a little nervous about a umble inspired circuit is versatility I think you'd be pleasantly suprised with the Glaswerks.

Call me up if you get the chance 440-242-7019 pretty much anytime, and I can give you the skinny on it. I posted a review over at Harmony Central
http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/Glaswerks/Super+Overdrive/10/1[/url]
bluzboyy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can...What's your spending limit? I just reread your original post and realized that you wre thinking of doing a mod of some sort. What's the donor amp?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> The Daved Zone All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: