Robben Ford Discussion :: View topic - Inexpensive solid-state amps?
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through this link.
Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index

Robben Ford Discussion
The Official Robben Ford Discussion Group

www.RobbenFord.com
All Access Pass

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Inexpensive solid-state amps?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlueRunner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Inexpensive solid-state amps? Reply with quote

Cool Regular gigging in a venue larger than the music room at home will probably wait until after retirement. In the meantime, I sold my 50-watt Carvin vintage amp, which even when set to "1" was shattering windows at home. I'd like to pick up a small (1x10 or 1x12 combo) solid state for somewhere south of $400 or so. Anyone here have any experience with the Roland Cube 30-X? Or any of the small Fender solid-states? Or anything else for that matter?
JohnnyZ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue, I just got (literally, it just arrived at my workplace) a Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15-R from Musician's Friend, $149. While I can't tell you how it sounds, it's a neat little package. And, the specs and reviews on the MF site convinced me to go for it. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hughes-Kettner-Edition-Blu-15-15W-1x8-Combo?sku=480436 I bought this amp in hopes of finally getting my scared and shy butt out to some blues jams. My DrZ 2x12 is much too heavy (unless I was seriously gigging) to lug around. I'll post my impressions of this amp after I get home tonight...

Also, I used to have a Fender Frontman 25R which mysteriously disappeared into the black hole of my house (my son's room). It seemed like an ok amp and much louder than you need in the house...
frank0936

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject: Small amps Reply with quote

BR, I heard the Roland at a music store recently and it was an awesome little amp. I normally like to stick with Fender, but if I was looking for a small amp for the house I would seriously consider the Roland.
Frank
Cal

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might try a VOX VR30. Pretty nice, 30 watts, two channels plus an overdrive boost. It's a hybrid with a tube in the preamp and solid state poweramp. No modeling stuff either.
edpesco

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Micro Cube for real living room practicing and a Cube 60 for the same purpose and little gigs or rehearsals at different places, it's easy to transport and sounds always nice at any volume, a nice compromise. If you want the 60 to sound really good you have to turn him way up and then he's really loud. The sound quality is still not to be compared to my 74 Fender Deluxe reverb, the only tube amp I know so far that always sounds nice, even at a low levels. But if you are looking for a living room solution the Cubes are the only non tube amps I can recommend so far.
JohnnyZ

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't get much of a chance to put my new H&K 15-R through its paceslast night, but what I was really pleased about was its tone a low volumes. And, although I haven't played through my Fender Frontman 25R in ages, I seem to remember it as being harsh sounding while this new amp seems very warm. I can't wait to open it up (i.e. encourage wife to go to the mall)... Laughing
BlueRunner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Thanks for the great tips, gang. I'll let you know what I end up doing.
BlueRunner

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Thank again for all of your input. I went ahead and sprung for the Roland Cube 30X, and like it a lot. It's perfect for home and tossing into the car to go play with friends, and the price/value factor seems really good. And the best part: My wife thinks it sounds good, too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: