Robben Ford Discussion :: View topic - Recent Concerts
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through this link.
Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index

Robben Ford Discussion
The Official Robben Ford Discussion Group

www.RobbenFord.com
All Access Pass

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recent Concerts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roadwarriorfortheblues

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 6:14 am    Post subject: Charlie Farren, Farrenheit, Joe Perry Project... Reply with quote

JohnnyZ wrote:
And, for our RWFTB, Charlie Farren did an awesome vocal job of closing out the show with the last 3 songs, including what he claimed was his favorite Beatles tune- Penny Lane.

What an awsome, awesome night!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Charlie closed the show!

Hi JZ, sounds like it was a great tribute to Brad. Did Charlie play acoustic or electric ? I was a huge Farrenheit fan and I also loved hearing Charlie & Robin Farren (his sister) play and sing together. I saw Charlie & Joe Perry a lot too. Those were great times...
BlueRunner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Was at a conference in San Francisco this past Friday, and FINALLY got to Lou's Pier 47. A really fun place. Full of tourists, but obviously tourists who appreciate good music. Music was supplied by Annie Sampson, who really has fun with Stax material. Sorry I didn't get the names of the guys in the band, but with keyboards, drums, bass, guitar, and a guy who doubled on trumpet and flugelhorn, they had that Memphis sound nailed.

Drinks not as reasonably priced as Moe's, but hey, this is San Francisco, and who knows what the rents are down near Fisherman's Wharf?
roadwarriorfortheblues

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:00 am    Post subject: John Mooney Reply with quote

I went to see John Mooney and the Bluesiana Band at Skipper's last night. My local favorite, Sarasota Slim opened. We were celebrating the 10th birthday of the Suncoast Blues Society. The Blues are stronger than ever in Tampa Bay. We have so much local music and many great venues, and I am grateful for it.

It was a fantastic night of Blues! John Mooney is an amazing slide player. He uses metal fingerpicks on his thumb and index and he has a sound that's uniquely his own. He has a great voice too. He had a ton of equipment with him... and the soundman did a good job making everything sound right. John played a couple sets as a trio and also did a mini set by himself. I also picked up his new cd, "Big Ol’ Fiya". He's got Jon Cleary on it.

I posted a few pictures of John Mooney on my web album, as well as some photos of the newborn sandhill cranes that visited my backyard recently. They are precious:

http://picasaweb.google.com/Roadwarriorfortheblues
rainmkr63

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Lindsey Buckingham Saturday night at the Hard Rock hotels “joint” and it was great. We had very good seats (4th row slightly to the left) he did a good selection of solo stuff and some Fleetwood Mac.

He was in fine form and his band smoked.

Rain
Millibobs

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Lindsey is one of the finest guitar players I ever laid ears on. Totally unique style and a big influence on my finger picking technique. Good voice too. Can you imagine Lindsey and Robben doing a double-header? Bet that would be worth catching!
rainmkr63

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That double bill would be amazing but I am not betting on it. LB is very intense great guitar and vocal he writes some great stuff too. This was my first time seeing him, I saw Fleetwood Mac when he was replaced by 2 people.

I hope he comes around again.
Millibobs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that tour in Manchester, UK. They were good players but couldn't get near to LB's trademark sound and style. It was a matter of time before he returned to the fold. Robben is as unique in his take on the blues as LB is in terms of his rock/pop attitude. The other guy I'd stick in my dream line up is Joe Walsh who is far more gifted than many people realise. I saw a clip on YouTube that featured him playing bluegrass with a stand up bass and fiddle player - unbelievable.......
rainmkr63

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Joe Walsh fan here, I saw the James gang’s return a few months ago and it was very good.
roadwarriorfortheblues

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Jimmie, Johnny & Charlie Reply with quote

Roomful of Blues & Jimmie Vaughan (w/ Lou Ann Barton) at Lupo's (Providence, RI)
Johnny A. at Newport Blues (Newport, RI)
Farrenheit at The Beachcomber (Wollaston Beach, MA)

It's not too often I visit somewhere and find a cluster of Blues shows. So this was a good week for me.

The Blues scene in Providence on a Tuesday night is dead. The club was almost empty (maybe 200 people?) when Roomful of Blues came on. The "new" Lupo's is a wonderful venue for music. Great sound and easy access to drinks. And it's air-conditioned. Roomful played about an hour. I used to see them a lot when I lived in Boston 20 years ago, so it was fun to see them again. I'm fascinated by trombone lately, and the trombone player was great!

Jimmie Vaughan was fabulous as always, but I've never had the chance to see him "so" up close. Usually I'm 10 or 12 rows back. Razz I was surprised by how many songs he plays capo'd -- even instrumentals ? It still sounded great. Jimmie also invited the horn section from Roomful of Blues up to play. Mr. Trombone was fantastic, but I think the rest of the horns played a little tentative.

The tall ships and The President were in Newport, so it was a little tricky finding a parking space. This was the first show I've seen at Newport Blues, and it was also Johnny's first show there.
If you haven't seen him yet, Johnny A. is amazing ! I've seen him warm up and co-headline with Robben a couple times, and I saw him at Jannus Landing in St. Pete around the time his first solo record came out. By some stroke of luck, I was seated at the best table in the house, in front of Johnny's chair. Except for some crazy dancers, my full attention was focused on the music coming from his huge Gibson signature guitar. Johnny's music goes straight to my heart -- it excites and satisfies me.

More luckiness... about midnight, James Montgomery walks into the bar. Before long, Johnny has invited James up to do a song, and they jam the living daylights out of "Rock Me Baby"! Wow...what a show !!! And, I even walked away with a souvenir Johnny A black T-shirt !

Twenty five years ago, I was crazy about Farrenheit. I might have seen them 100 times during the 80s. They were a three piece band making some of the best rockin' Blues music in Boston. Charismatic, energetic and a little mysterious... that's how I remember them. It was so easy to feel vulnerable and get lost in their music. I went through withdrawal pains for them when I left Boston and moved to Tampa. How coincidental is it that the three original band members got together to play a reunion show at The Beachcomber (in my old neighborhood!) while I was going to be in town?

The band sounded GREAT ! They've stayed involved in music all these years, doing solo projects and touring with other national acts. The Beachcomber hasn't changed much, in my absence. Maybe the waitresses are a bit grumpier, but everything else was the same. It was wonderful to sit along the back wall, with my best friends in the world, and to see Farrenheit perform again, just like old days!

I'm back home, again. I love Tampa, but I do miss old times, with good friends and music that means a lot to me.
Millibobs

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the next best thing to being at these events is reading some of the quite evocative and literate pieces that get posted here. Someone should publish them.....of course, I am NOT referring to my own extended and usually baffling drivel!

Sometimes I get intense pangs of longing to live on your side of the Pond so that I too can immerse myself in the live music scene that you describe. We just dont have the same opportunties here without huge travel bills and a load of hassle.

Oh no, I just wrote some more baffling drivel.....
fingerlakes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syracuse Jazz Fest is always the last weekend in June and is free to the public. I went all 3 nights ( with 1 kid in college and another on the way I tend to be all over free stuff ). Headliners were Bela Fleck on Fri, Dave Brubeck on Sat and Aretha Franklin on Sun. Bela and his guys were great on Fri but after 3 or 4 times it gets a little boring. Victor Wooten was awesome as always. It's easy to see why Dave and Aretha are legendary. It was my first time to see both,I enjoyed it, but i think i would have rather seen both 25 years ago or so. Still. it beats paying $80 to see The Police. One of the lead up acts was my favorite part on the 3 day event. The Hiram Bullock Band,and Hiram Bullock playing wtih the Jaco Pastorius Big Band was smoking. The event was a great time to take the family and friends,eat some hot sausage,drink some beers and listen to some great music without breaking the bank.
PaulG

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RWFTB, a very nice and inspiring review. Sounds like a great roadtrip. I think it's time I packed up the truck and headed out somewhere on a blues quest. I blew a great chance to see Johnny A at Soho's locally, a couple years back, thinking I'll catch him later. He's never returned. And I'm waiting for a new cd, as it's been a while since his last one.

Speaking of roadtrips, I'll be heading to northern California the weeks of Sept. 17 and 24. Any of you NoCals know of some good blues happening in Robben's motherland during that time. I'll be hitting Humbolt redwoods, Mendocino, etc. I usually try to find some local talent, but it's hit and miss. Any tips would be appreciated.
roadwarriorfortheblues

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Millibobs and PaulG, thanks for the kind words ! Very Happy

There's a West Coast roadtrip I'm trying to work out for September. The Ford Blues Band (Patrick Ford, Volker Strifler, Andy Just, Dewayne Pate w/ Gabe Ford), Kenny Neal & Billy Branch, Nora Jean Bruso, Bill Solley & Kim Prevost, and some "surprise" musicians will be performing on a 4-day riverboat cruise that departs from San Francisco and visits Sausalito and Sonoma Wine Country. I've never been on a cruise before, but this one sounds like a lot of fun. There's a web site, for more info: http://www.deltamusicexperience.com/dme2007.html
JavaDiva

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Waterfront Blues Fest Reply with quote

Hi All. Just spent 5 days at the Portland Waterfront Blues Fest. Many many many great acts. Highlights for me were:
John Boutte - if you ever get a chance to see this singer/songwriter from New Orleans, don't miss out;
Charmaine Neville - an up and coming lady of the blues, with an impressive vocal range;
The Neville Brothers - I can't even come up with the words to describe this band - top of the line show. I had the joy and pleasure of being on stage during part of their show Very Happy ;
Lurrie Bell - fabulous guitarist - he played three sets different sets over 2 days - with a band, as a twosome with a bass player, and a workshop set. He was originally scheduled to play with his father, Carey Bell (blues harp), who passed away a few months ago;
Too Slim & the Taildraggers - northwest blues/roots/rock favorites;
and local divas Ellen Whyte & Duffy Bishop singing together.

The festival included a number of 2-hour river cruises and many after-hours events.

By the way, RWFTB, I've been wishing I could be on the 4-day riverboat cruise from San Francisco to Sausalito and Sonoma as well. DME had a booth in Portland, and the price is comparable to many ocean cruises ($$$$). Too bad for me I've already budgeted all my vacation money for the year Sad
JohnnyZ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>> Too Slim & the Taildraggers

What a great name!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 7 of 22

Jump to: