Robben Ford Discussion :: View topic - All Music Guide
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through this link.
Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index

Robben Ford Discussion
The Official Robben Ford Discussion Group

www.RobbenFord.com
All Access Pass

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

All Music Guide
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GraemeD

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: All Music Guide Reply with quote

http://wm04.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:knfuxzt5ldhe

A friend refered this to me......

What do you think ?

Graeme
Michael

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robben's just fine by me ... I love him for his guitar genious ... if he never bothered with writing a song it would not matter. I happen to think his voice has improved substantially over the years. It offers a tone and clarity that's unique and easy on the ear. Robben's involved in so many projects and musical styles ... putting all that together is a stretch and Robben pulls this off better than any ... Orbit, Jing Chi, The Ford Brothers, his cd's, etc.
BlueRunner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool The review just goes to show ... you can't please all of the people all of the time.

No, Robben does not have Otis Redding's voice. Neither is he the songwriter Jimmy Webb is. But his love for people like Redding and Webb (who he talks about in his Clinics) and Bloomfield and BB King and a whole lotta' people comes out load and clear in his songs. And I'll take that kind of love any time.
Leftbender

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People who write reviews are mostly not musicians themselves. They just review products in relation to other products. That's their job. Big deal.
I have the album for two days now and I listened to it. I like it very much. I also think it is important to realize that a record like this is not a one man's project. Even the quality of the compositions is influenced by the large group of people around it. Robben has proven his composing skills. No doubt about that! Luckely we are his fans and follow him in most of his musical steps, not only his solo projects. With this album he has proven once more what a great guitar player and what a wonderful person he is!
Millibobs

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking as someone who likes Robben's playing but who isn't as ardent a fan as some others, the review sounded like the writer had really enjoyed the process of writing negative comments. There was no attempt at balancing any of the adverse stuff with truly constructive remarks other than, 'yeah, so he's a great guitar player'. I've only heard excerpts from Truth but it sounds like it will find it's way into my collection.

As for the reviewer, I guess he felt satisfied with his attempt at demolition, but it won't stop people entering the building. Some people consider it clever to produce one-sided, opinionated, drivel. Robben meanwhile, will file this one amongst the good reviews and occasionally have a good laugh about it!

Incidentally, I worked out that an anagram of Thom Jurek, the reviewer, is Mouth Jerk. Heaven forbid he should ever review any of my stuff!
AndyR

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:40 am    Post subject: Devil's Advocate Reply with quote

I must admit I'm ambivalent about "Truth."

I agree with with the reviewer about the production values, great guitar work, etc.

I also agree that some of this material is not Robben's best, IMHO. Confused

Other posts have compared "Truth" to "Blue Moon," but I think the latter is a stonger effort.

As discussed before, Robben's singing is an acquired taste. I think he's a fine singer, definitely improved over the years, but his voice is somewhat incongruous to the type of music he plays; this can be off-putting to hard-core blues afficianados.

I will give "Truth" a full listen tomorrow on a road trip, and I'm glad Robben is releasing new material.

Smile

Andy
Michael

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two kinds of wine ... wine you like and wine you don't. Choose what you like. I can say; however, that things do grow on you. The more you listen ... the better it gets.

I will purchase most anything Robben does and I will see him in concert most anytime he appears nearby. Most everything he plays live ... I love. It's hard to perfectly capture that on cd ... the solo's are too short, the jam fades out, but I'm guessing the licks got pretty great on the wind down. It's too bad songs have a limit.

With all that said, I like to hear Robben on the guitar ... more than singing. It's the guitar work and Robben ... that makes me a fan.
diatonicdude

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting!.....

I am awaiting my copy of "Truth" (should be with me tomorrow), but I have listened to the tracks a few times already, streamed off the web. So I guess I have had enough listening to pass comment already.

Obviously I am a huge fan. I have bought everything he has commercially released due to this, and will see him play when ever I can. Putting this to one side, I still like to think i can be honest, and un biased when passing comment.

For me there are 4 CD's of Robben's which epitomise his full range of talents; "The inside story", "Hand full of blues", Tiger walk", and "Supernatural". I personally think Robben's song voice has improved with his latter recordings (the land mark being Supernatural), something he apparently has worked on.

I actually happen to like his distinctive voice, and its intergration with the music he performs. However, some songs are better than others, of course, and my taste will differ to others. This means that the reviewer in question is not wrong, IMHO, as he is just being subjective, using his own benchmarks for comparism. Don't forget he did finish on the note saying something like Robben is very talented, and he believes he is just "coasting"! Maybe not the "Truth" but, an interesting comment nevertheless.

Based upon this guys last comment in his review, I believe Robben is also capable of more, if more means more "landmark" type CDs like the ones I believe are, and mentioned above. Supernatural was very soulful with great songwriting, composition, playing, production, etc. That CD bought Robben some new fans, that I know. However, Robbens last 3 ("Blue Moon", "Keep on running", and "Truth") are more niched. There are similar in style to each other (and are great in their own right), but I feel they do follow too much of a similar trend. Previous offerings from Robben left the listener wondering what box of delights they were to unfold on their first listen. This pattern has been broken, and I do believe this is what this guy has picked up on.

Don't get me wrong, i do like "truth" alot, but I was kind of hoping Robben was going to release something along the lines of a Tiger Walk 2 CD, with a twist, to break the patern. I guess, as mentioned earlier, you can't please all the people, all of the time. And anyway, i do not know of any artist who has consistently released diverse, and breath taking music, release after release.

A big thanks from me to Robben for his music, and may he go on to make great music for many years to come!!!

Cheers,

DD
PierreL

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, Supernatural is one of my favorites as well, not so much for the playing but for the songwriting.
"Blue Moon" and "Keep on running" were kind of a step back in comparison.
I think that with "Truth" Robben is a great improvement over the last two (Blue Moon especially, as it is for me the worst record of his solo career).
Most of the songs are quite solid, the guitar playing is more adventurous, the band(s) is (are) great...

But I have to say that now I enjoy more his jazz/fusion recordings, like Jing Chi or tne new Orbit.
Millibobs

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:53 am    Post subject: Truth Reply with quote

Well, speaking as one of the least informed people on this forum, I love it. I particularly like Riley B King and (you're gonna love this) it reminds me of a jazzed-up James Taylor who is one of my picking heroes. Now I've really gone and done it......

I like the rawness of some of the guitars and I absolutely shudder with delight at those Jazz runs that only Robben and Scott Lerner seem able to pull off in the context of an actual song.

The acid test of an album for me is that it has me unconsciously reaching for one of my guitars. Truth did this within the first thirty seconds. Different yeah, but pretty bloody majestic. Still haven't worked through the back catalogue but getting to grips with Tiger Walk later and probably Supernatural too.

Robben is in his kingdom and I am a happy courtier!
roadwarriorfortheblues

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Millibobs. I love the Truth. I think Robben's original songs on this CD are some of his best songwriting. The lyrics are honest and believable; the musical arrangements and use of various instruments (and musicians) deliver an elegant, soulful approach to this contemporary Blues album. I love Robben's take on both cover songs -- Nobody's Fault But Mine and One Man's Ceiling is Another Man's Floor. I think his vocals sound great, especially next to Susan Tedeschi's wonderful voice. To my ears, Robben's playing just gets better and better. I also appreciate the extra effort that was put into the packaging and liner notes. The new photography (which is the same as on the new web site) is wonderful and I'm hoping it will be used on tour t-shirts as well (hint, hint!!).
frank0936

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:25 am    Post subject: Truth Reply with quote

I think that Robben's duet with Susan is definitely a high point on the CD. They do sound great together.
Frank
telefunk1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I had this long reponse all written and ready to go but had to leave my desk for a few minutes and it vanished while I was gone...oh well. Probably for the best since I agree with a lot of what the review says.

In a nutshell...IMHO this is a fair review. Truth (and Blue Moon and Keep on Running) are all a bit disjointed and never seem to "get going." Part of it is the songwriting (kind of bland) and some of it is the production (smooth and slick). While the playing is top notch, there never seems to be any sense of a band groove going. I just get a sense that RF is trying to do too many things, cover too many styles, and overall force the music to be more than it is capable of. So, in the sense that the reviewer says he needs to make a decision, I tend to agree. Does he want to be a songwriter, smooth vocalist (the next James Tayor?), one of the best guitar sidemen ever, whatever - doing all at once is difficult.

I don't agree totally with the comment about "Nobody's Fault" but RFs choice of cover tunes has always left me confused (Badge and Peace, Love and Understanding to name a few). To me, the best covers are those an artist brings something new to and makes a statement with it. None of these attempts achieves this.

I had a few more comments but will stop here. I will probably come back to Truth every now and then and listen to a few songs, but it won't be in constant rotation like I had hoped.
JohnnyZ

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyR's and telefunk1's reviews pretty much sum it up for me too...

AndyR states that he's "ambivalent about Truth". I wasn't sure what "ambivalent" meant, but when it came up as the word "unsure" in Roget's, I totally understood, and that's exactly how I feel (still).

telefunk1 states, "I will probably come back to Truth every now and then and listen to a few songs, but it won't be in constant rotation like I had hoped." After several (somewhat forced) listens in entirety, I've found myself only scarcely listening to a few Truth songs in between other albums including RF favorites and other new cds such as Orbit in my current "rotation".

Well, that's JMHO. I don't dislike Truth, but I'm not crazy about it. Perhaps, if I experience Truth live, I'd like and appreciate it more just like I did Keep On Running...
srammell

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like Truth, been in the Car for the last week, now whens the next album gonna come out! Very Happy

any news of an Autumn/Winter UK tour to promote the new album, doesnt loook too likely from the TOurs page on the website, but you never know....... been 10 months since my last Robben gig!

Simon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: