Robben Ford Discussion :: View topic - Better D-tone than a Zendrive
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through this link.
Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index

Robben Ford Discussion
The Official Robben Ford Discussion Group

www.RobbenFord.com
All Access Pass

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Better D-tone than a Zendrive
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> The Daved Zone
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bluelobster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: GRAAL Reply with quote

So, we'll just have to wait Robben choosing another OD pedal. This one is handy though. Light weight, dedicated with love... definitively not suited for a pedal board gentlemen. I must agree i tried it with my 63 strat and a marschall it was not that fun but i do not like the od from a marschall so it was better anyway.
Then if you stick with your Zen just like Robben does -amp & guitar -it feels quite good with humbuckers plus a bit of reverb. Yes i was reluctant to get one but i'm glad i did .thanks to diatonicdude..............yes you can smile DD but you can drool too coz i'm pumping an Hiwatt with my Zenboost that means if i can't make music i can for sure make NOISE.
So boys, dudes, mates , men, women, brada's,sista's,just get a hold on striving for a tone but don't do business on ebay.it is naughty , brrrrrrr,
JohnnyZ

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blobby!!!
Bluelobster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: LOVE Reply with quote

Hi johnny i'm back on the blobs. Laughing
frank0936

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: the return Reply with quote

Welcome back, Blobby!
Frank
Bluelobster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:48 am    Post subject: glad Reply with quote

Thanks mates i appreciate. I was just in my "nobody wants you when you're down & out" phase.

i would like to bring a truckload of fun to you so just get on you tube and search with this keyword :
darth vader plays the blues.

Tell me how many of you knew this one ?
frank0936

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:57 am    Post subject: Vader Reply with quote

That is too funny! Thanks, Blobby, I needed that.
Frank
Phill_B

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently got a zendrive and I really dig it! All of my guitars have humbuckers (except my G & L) and they sound great through my zendrive. The knobs are a little tricky but I think that I have finally found a setting that sounds good to me.

Phillip
JohnnyZ

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: glad Reply with quote

Bluelobster wrote:
Thanks mates i appreciate. I was just in my "nobody wants you when you're down & out" phase.

Dems is what da blues is all about!!!

Sounds like you have a lot of song-writing material there, Blobs!

And, sorry for the topic diversion. Bluelobster is a long lost icon in this forum, and I'm glad to see he's back. Please continue... Very Happy
AlChuck

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried bidding on a used ZenDrive on eBay but it shot out of reach that last day to around $350 or more (I didn't wait to see the final price).

While I wait to see if I ever get a reply from Alf and get on the the waiting list, I went ahead and ordered a Jetter Gain Stage Red, which I should have in hand (or under foot) early next week.
Millibobs

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I'd miss mine more than I have - the Xotic BB preamp is doing a wonderful job in its place and was far easier to get hold of. I like Alf and I like his products - I just think maybe the Zendrive I had lacked that certain 'something' and was a tad harsher than I expected. I intend to buy the Zendrive 2 later on because I'm entering a new covers period and I reckon it would make a good standalone pedal for when I don't need my big scary board.
Cheebatone

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a Zendrive 2 for about a month now. The honeymoon period is over and ...it still sounds killer! However, my TLE-mod Ethos should be arriving any day now, so we'll see if the Zen is up to a little competition!
AlChuck

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Jetter Gain Stage Red arrived yesterday. I was only able to give it a quick run-through with my humbucker-equipped solidbody (a Gibson L6-S) and I was quite pleased with it. It has a very musical character and seems to suit my playing well. I would agree with the Guitar Player magazine review of its treble response, which I am very happy about because I'm always struggling with the treble on that guitar for some reason. I'll try it with my Strat tonight if I can steal enough time. I'm looking forward to playing it live somewhere as soon as I can...
MatsD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my Zendrive a few weeks ago after a loooong wait and my expectations were rather high since I own a Hermida Mosferatu since a couple of years that I like very much, although it's the older 3 knob version.

I'm almost strictly a single coil pickup player and as everyone knows you then need to be more picky about your equipment compared to if you're a humbucker guy. This is especially true when looking for distortion/overdrive stomnp boxes.

I plugged the zendrive in between my tele and my Edgar D-Lux (basically a ptp built and somewhat improved clone of a Fender Deluxe 5E3), dialled the knobs around and picked a few notes. At first I was rather disappointed, but after a while I found a very dynamic sweet spot i the more modest overdrive region.

I did expect the zendrive to be a more low gain version of the mosferatu, and in a way it is, but to me the zendrive is a bit muddier, a bit more muffled and there ar more odd overtone interference between notes, if you play double-stops and other non-singel string stuff.

I do think it's a nice stomp box and I will probably keep it for a while, but I'm not blown away by it as the hype told me I would be. I have other stomp boxes that works better with my single coil guitars, primaily my Reverend Drivetrain II, but also the aforementioned Mosferatu, my Fulltone OCD, my MXR Distortion III and Zakk Wylde Overdrive, my T-Rex Dr Swamp, my Visual Sound route 66 - to mention a few.

But on the other hand I bought, disliked and sold both a TIM and a Timmy, so perhaps my taste in pedals are not the general. But I DO appreciate Robben's guitar sound very much, at least his sound during the last decade or more, so it's not that I'm looking for something completely different.

/Mats D
bluesman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: AC+ ad BB+ Reply with quote

Probably you guys have to check out new Xotic double pedals: AC+ and BB+ they are really versatile and great sounding devices. I hope Alf will create something similar soon – double Zen drive (which I suggested long time ago). Exclamation
PierreL

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was not that fond of the Zendrive with my Strat as well, but it kicked ass with my Hamer loaded with Seth Lovers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> The Daved Zone All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: