Robben Ford Discussion :: View topic - Daved: Does Robben use 6L6s or 5881s?
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through this link.
Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index

Robben Ford Discussion
The Official Robben Ford Discussion Group

www.RobbenFord.com
All Access Pass

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Daved: Does Robben use 6L6s or 5881s?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> The Daved Zone
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JackD

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Daved: Does Robben use 6L6s or 5881s? Reply with quote

Daved:

I was pokin' aroud Larry Carlton's Websitr and there's a little video with his tech where he talks about Larry's rig. He mentions that Larry uses 5881 power tubes rather than 6L6s in hs Dumble. It got me thinking, what does Robben use for his power tubes? I always assumed Robben used 6L6s (but then again, I thought Larry did too).

Thanks
Daved
Robben Connection

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having been away from the Dumbles for some time, I wanted to check them before I answered this.

Alexander Dumble has always recommended 6L6's to me (of varying brands over time as he felt the quality changing).

I'm glad I did check as, though the black Overdrive is still loaded with GT 6L6's, I found the tan Overdrive now has a matched set of Sovtek 5881's (most likely installed by Larry's tech at some point).

"This boy's diseased with rhythm!" -Bing Crosby (Road To Rio, '49)
Bluelobster

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:07 am    Post subject: russia Reply with quote

any Russian anecdot, i mean short novel , ????????? how do they love their children kinda sting fairy tale. We french have been really brainwashed with russians you know ??§§!! Was the venue correct and answering all modern standrards of sonorisation. i'm nosy about it.....
MatsD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a video at Larry Carlton's website his tech says both Larry's Dumbles are equipped with Sovtek 5881 and the way he says it makes you believe that those are stock and recommended by Alexander Dumble.

/Mats D
Daved
Robben Connection

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MatsD wrote:
In a video at Larry Carlton's website his tech says both Larry's Dumbles are equipped with Sovtek 5881 and the way he says it makes you believe that those are stock and recommended by Alexander Dumble.

This could very well be the case with Larry's OD Special's.
One of the characteristics of the Dumble amps is that no two OD's are exactly the same. Alexander always custom built each & every amp, tweaking and modifying each one in various suttle ways to fit the requirements, sound, and use of the individual artist for whom the amp was designed.

(Another reason, by the way, that I always take with a grain of salt any other amp builder's claim that his amp exactly duplicates the Dumble sound. How can you duplicate the sound of a model amp which is designed to sound/respond slightly different with each purchaser?)

Larry's FOH tech/tour manager, Rick, and I just worked together with Robben in Las Vegas this last weekend.
Rick told me he is the one who installed the 5881's in Robben's tan Dumble head last year.
He told me that when he spoke with Alexander at the time, though Dumble usually suggested 6L6's, he this time around recommended changing to the 5881's (which tend to sound a bit darker) because he was not happy with the quality of pretty much any of the 6L6 brands currently available.

"This boy's diseased with rhythm!" -Bing Crosby (Road To Rio, '49)
Mikka

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Maybe Daved can you answer to my questions.

I remember to see on a shot that you put EH preamp tubes on the Robben's Dumble Amps.

Can you tell us what brand of power tubes do you put on his Dumble amps ?

What Brand of tubes are in his own Fender Super Reverb and The Twin ?

I read that you change the speakers on the rental Fender Twins when Robben doesn't travel with his dumble amps, do you change the tubes too ? What Brand ? What are his favourit brands ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> The Daved Zone All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: