Robben Ford Discussion :: View topic - New Robben Instructional DVD
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through this link.
Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index

Robben Ford Discussion
The Official Robben Ford Discussion Group

www.RobbenFord.com
All Access Pass

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Robben Instructional DVD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PierreL

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh...so I should get mine really soon as well Smile
JackD

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

henkholland wrote:
Just received mine today Very Happy
Henk

Henk:

Any review yet? What do you think of the DVD?
henkholland

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackD wrote:
henkholland wrote:
Just received mine today Very Happy
Henk

Henk:

Any review yet? What do you think of the DVD?

Sorry,
I only had time to watch the introduction of the DVD and that was pretty cool. I really like the way Robben is playing rhythm (for example on "Orbit"). Regarding the pdf file, there is a lot to learn (at least for me). I've scheduled "my moment" of watching the complete DVD with Xmas.
Henk
sfhalo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My copy arrived this afternoon from Music Dispatch and I watched it in its entirety. As I've mentioned many times in previous posts, I've always considered Robben one of the finest rhythm guitarists around. Anyone who watches this DVD will understand why immediately.........incredible placement of alternate chords and great rhythm chops. I'm sure the 2nd DVD, "The Art of Blues Solos" will be as good. I hope you enjoy the video as much as I did. Merry Christmas.
diatonicdude

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clarifying the region Henk! Well, it looks like Santa will not have one in time for me for Christmas, but I will make sure it goes on my New Years must have list.

Cheers,

DD
beffy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: DVD Ordering Reply with quote

Geez, the shipping costs to Germany are almost the same as the DVD costs in that shop posted above Sad That's insane...
Is there any affordable way to get the new DVD in Europe?
Why isn't it on the website yet btw.?
JackD

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my copy of the DVD yesterday. I think its great. It really captures the feel of one of Robben's clinics (how he just talks from the heart and doesn't get too technical, etc.). I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to volume 2 that comes out in a few months.

What also cool is since I was a student in attendance at the event, I made the photo on the back cover and probably 15 shots during the video (I'm the bald guy in the second row to Robben's left, right behind the kid)!
JohnnyZ

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have much theory behind me as you'll see from this basic question. In example 2 of the companion pdf of the dvd, directly above the start of the music notation, it states "Use over G7" For those who don't have this pdf, Robben's showing an example of major triads in rhythm, specifically C, F, and G. And, the pattern he's using is CFCGFC | GFCG | FCG | FCG and so on...

BTW, I just got the dvd this morning and I'm watching/listening to it right now, about 38 minutes through, and it's great! I went to a clinic a couple of years ago, and it's just like being there! The companion pdf is great too. I wish I had my guitar with me (I'm at work)...
jconstant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyZ wrote:
I don't have much theory behind me as you'll see from this basic question. In example 2 of the companion pdf of the dvd, directly above the start of the music notation, it states "Use over G7" For those who don't have this pdf, Robben's showing an example of major triads in rhythm, specifically C, F, and G. And, the pattern he's using is CFCGFC | GFCG | FCG | FCG and so on...

Johnny, maybe I missed something, but what's the question part of this?

Jim
JohnnyZ

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I didn't emphasize what I'm asking. I don't understand the "Use over G7" in the example. What does G7 have to do with CGF?
Red Suede

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're about to get into modal harmony, Johnny. I think he's talking about these like they are the triads from mode 4 (F Lydian) and mode 5 (G7 Mixolydian which is the dominant mode) in the key of C. He talks about using those triads on an old clinic tape I have. Three notes=triad, four notes gets into the extensions. The way to hear the mode is to start with a C scale and play it. Start from the next note (D) but play it like you already played the C note. Note the different sound. Same with E and so on and you'll have built the modes in major. To build the chords in major, it's a series of odd/even notes. The first triad (C) is the 1st, 3rd, and 5th notes of the scale, the second chord is the 2nd,4th and 6th, and you keep stacking them till the last note. Chord Chemistry by Ted Green isn't quite as long winded as my little dissertation, but that's where I got it from. This formula is the basic building block of music and it applies to all scales I think. Once I saw this formula, basic music harmony was no longer a hit and miss thing for me.
jconstant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyZ wrote:
Yeah, I didn't emphasize what I'm asking. I don't understand the "Use over G7" in the example. What does G7 have to do with CGF?

I see. Well, G7 is the V chord of a harmonized C major scale (in simple triads, that's C, Dm, Em, F, G, Am, Bdim. Make each chord 4 notes and that G will turn into a G7) If Robben didn't already say it in the video, he will, and he'll tell you that any 7th chord is a V chord. What he means is a V chord always wants to resolve back to its respective I chord. Anyway, you can see above that I gave you the triads that make up the harmonized C major scale. See how the I chord is C, the IV chord is F and the V chord is G? That's because the formula used to harmonize a major scale will always give you the same result and that is a major I, IV, and V chord. In the case of C, that gives you C, F, and G. So, he's saying you can play C, F, and G triads over that G7 all day long because we know the G7, being the V chord of C, means a) the notes are all from the C major scale (no sharps or flats) and b) the notes of C, F, and G, also being diatonic to the C major scale, means those chords will also fit over the G7. Every note we're talking about here is from C major.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by jconstant on Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
JohnnyZ

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both. It does help. I don't completely get it yet, but I do follow what both of you have written (I think!). And, after the Ted Green Chord Chemistry tip, I researched it and read the many positive and informative reviews, and ordered it. It seems that it might be the right tool to give me the understanding that I need (as long as I apply myself)...
Red Suede

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Johnny. Its in the chapter called "Fundamental Harmonies of Scales". This chapter I always thought should have been after the chapter called "the major scale" since it immediately gets you into what modes are and how to build chords off scales. You'll get it after you read it. Even Holdsworth's harmony is based off regular old modal harmony when you look at his books, but his hands are so big he can change note placement on chords to make them sound like new, not of this earth chords!
Zhurh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mail plane brought my copy just the other day, good stuff; hey Moonchild and all. I kinda got to watch his fingers before trying different chords that I haven't used.

I think I have most RF's books, dvds, and cd's. This new dvd seems to be done in a different manner. My son even watched it on his own; say it ain't so.

Thierry, Thanks for the heads up on this one; looking forward to the nx one in a couple months
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: