Robben Ford Discussion :: View topic - Reliability of Fender Amps
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through this link.
Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index

Robben Ford Discussion
The Official Robben Ford Discussion Group

www.RobbenFord.com
All Access Pass

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reliability of Fender Amps
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon07

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:20 am    Post subject: Reliability of Fender Amps Reply with quote

Hi Daved

As someone who has day-to-day working experience of Fender Twins, would you say that new ones are relatively reliable? I need a loud clean amp and a new Twin seems like a good route to go down but I have heard stories of unreliability - I'm not sure how much credence to give to these stories on various forums (or fora for the grammar nerds) so it would be good to get experience from someone working with these amps in a professional capacity. Do you usually end up with rentals which are fairly new models and do you have many failures?

Cheers

Jon
JohnnyZ

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Mono Lake Dave's post on last week's Robben performance: "Tele and Sakahastu, 2 Twin Reverbs (one blew up on the first song and Patrick Ford tried to get it back on but it immediately went dark again)."

Perhaps Robben drove too much "tone" into that Twin? Laughing
Jon07

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear! It's always hard to know in the grand scheme of things how often this sort of thing happens with mass-produced amps, but I've heard a few pros who've had issues with the big names' more recent products and won't go there any more. More power to the smaller manufacturers really, but their costs are higher. Does anyone know of a 'boutique' equivalent to a Twin which isn't massively more expensive?

Just realised I should've posted this in the Daved zone - could one of those very nice adminstrator people move it?
edpesco

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Reliability of Fender Amps Reply with quote

Jon07 wrote:
Hi Daved

As someone who has day-to-day working experience of Fender Twins, would you say that new ones are relatively reliable? I need a loud clean amp and a new Twin seems like a good route to go down but I have heard stories of unreliability - I'm not sure how much credence to give to these stories on various forums (or fora for the grammar nerds) so it would be good to get experience from someone working with these amps in a professional capacity. Do you usually end up with rentals which are fairly new models and do you have many failures?

Cheers

Jon

Sorry Jon, but the plural of the latin word forum is fori, of the English version it's forums.

GrammEd
bluenote

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings, I recently had the pleasure of playing the "taste of Chicago" festival and the promoters supplied the back line, out of the 3 or 4 amps I had a choice for, the fender twin was my choice as well as the other guitar player in the group. Mine was very very clean and loud but worked fine...his however, well lets just say half way through the show I seen him pounding on top of the amp, he said it kept cutting out but came back on when he whacked it! the amps were new models, I'm sure his just had a loose tube or socket, but you dont really know these days now that the circuit boards are mass produced and probably cheaply....just buy a dumble and be done with it!
________
trichome

Last edited by bluenote on Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jon07

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: Reliability of Fender Amps Reply with quote

edpesco wrote:
Jon07 wrote:
Hi Daved

Cheers

Jon

Sorry Jon, but the plural of the latin word forum is fori, of the English version it's forums.

GrammEd

Fori is the plural of the Italian word foro (meaning court) but in Latin the plural of forum is fora. If we all started using the word fora, someone would eventually stick an 's' on the end anyway, so I'll stick with forums!
JohnnyZ

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I belong to several other foras besides this one... Twisted Evil Laughing
edpesco

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Reliability of Fender Amps Reply with quote

Jon07 wrote:
edpesco wrote:
Jon07 wrote:
Hi Daved

Cheers

Jon

GrammEd

Fori is the plural of the Italian word foro (meaning court) but in Latin the plural of forum is fora. If we all started using the word fora, someone would eventually stick an 's' on the end anyway, so I'll stick with forums!

Sorry Jon, you just ain't right concerning Latin, yes to Italian. Forum is a neutrum word in Latin and the plural is fori, at least that's what my dictionary says in harmony with what I learned at school. In your language you can't go wrong with the s as an ending, also for the word solo, so stick to it. Very Happy
Millibobs

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay guys, allow Millibombs to resolve the issue once and for all; put on your reading glasses and upon closer examination of the Guitarist's Dictionary, you will discover that the precise term is Four/Fora.

It is a well known fact that the Romans would typically conduct their debate and classical discourses to a precise blues tempo, also known as Bluesius Discoursius.

As Ceasar once remarked, 'I woke up this morning........uuurgh", Sadly, he never completed this statement due to his friend Brutus stumbling and accidentally impaling the Emperor upon an experimental instrument constructed of alder and maple which came to be known as 'Fenderus Telecastus'.

A number of colleagues rushed to Ceasar's aide. They had been sitting outside the Forum (singular tense) eating low calorie snacks of tomatos, celery, rocket, green peppers and onion. In their haste to assist their leader, they all fell upon him in such a manner that their eating implements caused further, fatal injury and his body lay twitching amongst a tattered heap of vegetables. This is what ultimately came to be known as 'Ceasar Salad'.

I hope we can now move on to a more constructive assessment of Robben's blues method and use of solidified salad dressing as a cure for microphonic pickups.
Bluelobster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: You Da man Reply with quote

Strati,Strato,Strata,Stratum.

Evidence.
edpesco

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: You Da man Reply with quote

Bluelobster wrote:
Strati,Strato,Strata,Stratum.

Evidence.

Cool

But seriously folks:
ask me - I'm Dr. Knowitall

Bluelobster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: You Da man Reply with quote

edpesco wrote:

But seriously folks:

Edmund El Pescador , we all know you rule .
But can U Knowitallishes my teeth?
What 's up with rosi rosa rose rosum ????? i obviously tought you were loosing some of your legendary Austrian Loose upper lip syndroma.
Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, it's me, ok i apologize in advance. Crying or Very sad
edpesco

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: You Da man Reply with quote

Bluelobster wrote:
edpesco wrote:

But seriously folks:

Edmund El Pescador , we all know you rule .
But can U Knowitallishes my teeth?
What 's up with rosi rosa rose rosum ????? i obviously tought you were loosing some of your legendary Austrian Loose upper lip syndroma.
Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, it's me, ok i apologize in advance. Crying or Very sad

Sorry Jon, Bob, I'm the idiot, for sure it's FORA. I apologize!

Kirk please banish me from this board for unbearable senility.

Btw Blob, did I tell you the I am the new hope of the senior's boxing club in Bregenz? no apology Twisted Evil
JohnnyZ

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Millibobs wrote:
Okay guys, allow Millibombs to resolve the issue once and for all; put on your reading glasses and upon closer examination of the Guitarist's Dictionary, you will discover that the precise term is Four/Fora.

It is a well known fact that the Romans would typically conduct their debate and classical discourses to a precise blues tempo, also known as Bluesius Discoursius.

As Ceasar once remarked, 'I woke up this morning........uuurgh", Sadly, he never completed this statement due to his friend Brutus stumbling and accidentally impaling the Emperor upon an experimental instrument constructed of alder and maple which came to be known as 'Fenderus Telecastus'.

A number of colleagues rushed to Ceasar's aide. They had been sitting outside the Forum (singular tense) eating low calorie snacks of tomatos, celery, rocket, green peppers and onion. In their haste to assist their leader, they all fell upon him in such a manner that their eating implements caused further, fatal injury and his body lay twitching amongst a tattered heap of vegetables. This is what ultimately came to be known as 'Ceasar Salad'.

I hope we can now move on to a more constructive assessment of Robben's blues method and use of solidified salad dressing as a cure for microphonic pickups.

Classicus, MilliBombs. Classicus! Laughing
jconstant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Millibobs wrote:

This sounds remarkably like something Cliff Clavin would say. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: