Robben Ford Discussion :: View topic - Even more RIPs...
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through this link.
Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index

Robben Ford Discussion
The Official Robben Ford Discussion Group

www.RobbenFord.com
All Access Pass

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Even more RIPs...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> The Daved Zone
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ltkojak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:56 am    Post subject: Even more RIPs... Reply with quote

The 25th of July Hiram Bullock passed away for complications on his throat cancer.

The world lost not only a brilliant guitar player but one hell of a fine, decent human being.

http://www.hirambullock.com
Bluelobster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:17 am    Post subject: poooooooooo Reply with quote

Hello, kojak , don't make me start to cry weep & moan again.
We miss you Hiram.....
bluenote

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This just in......the Sax player from the Dave Mathews band bought it...I dont remember his name, I do remember his work though and its a shame.
________
buy extreme q vaporizer

Last edited by bluenote on Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
frank0936

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: more RIP's Reply with quote

And Jerry Wexler, and Buddy Guy's younger brother Phil.
Frank
bluenote

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Now....Jerry Reed ......Tah-Duuuuuu!!!
________
vapir no2 vaporizer

Last edited by bluenote on Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Daved
Robben Connection

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry Reed... Sept. 2: He started off as a guitarist, eventually had a string of country hits and also made the jump to the big screen with successful turns in Burt Reynolds films like 'Smokey and the Bandit' and 'Gator.' Reed lost a battle to emphysema at 71.

Steve Foley... Aug. 23: The bespeckled drummer from Minneapolis will always be known as the replacement Replacement for his brief tenure after Chris Mars left the beloved band in 1990. His death is being attributed to an accidental prescription drug overdose. He appeared in one video for the band, the visually quirky 'When It Began,' pictured.
He was the drummer with the Repalcements during the year in which I worked with them. Friendly & very quiet, I found him to be a breath of fresh air in a band of highly intense personalities. He was 49.

LeRoi Moore... Aug. 19: As a founding member of the Dave Matthews Band, Moore's saxaphone playing helped propel the band's sound to major success.
A pleasant personality and talented horn player, I met and got to casually know him thru several dates over the last few years that the Allman Brothers Band did with the Dave Mathews Band. He was 46.

Pervis Jackson... Aug. 18: Jackson provided the deep bass that was the foundation of The Spinners' many soul hits. He lost his battle with brain and liver cancer at age 70.

Jerry Wexler... Aug. 15: Quite literally the father of "rhythm and blues" -- he coined the term and produced the genres finest talents like Aretha Franklin, Ray Charles and Wilson Pickett while holding court at Atlantic Records in the 1950s and 1960s. He was 91.

Don Helms... Aug. 11: The final member of Hank Williams' iconic band, the Drifting Cowboys. The pedal steel master played on nearly every Hank Sr. classic, as well as hits for Patsy Cline and Lefty Frizzell. He was 81.

Isaac Hayes... Aug. 10: He branched out from his early start in soul music to help influence the sound of funk and disco. He also won an Oscar for his iconic Number One hit 'Theme From Shaft.' He was 65.

Larry Harmon... July 3: The man who appeared as Bozo the Clown for decades and turned the character into a thriving business dies at 83.

Bo Diddley... June 2: The rock 'n' roll pioneer, whose signature beat bears his name and has influenced generations of guitarists, died in Florida after months of ill health.

Earle Hagen... May 26: The Chicago native, who co-wrote the jazz classic 'Harlem Nocturne' and composed iconic themes for 'The Andy Griffith Show,' 'The Mod Squad' and other TV shows, has died. He was 88.

Dick Martin... May 24: The co-host of 'Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In,' the groundbreaking sketch comedy show that spawned such great catch-phrases as "Sock it to me," succumbed to respiratory problems that had plagued him for years. He was 86.

John Rutsey... May 11: The Toronto native formed Rush along with Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson but performed on only one album, their 1974 self-titled debut, before quitting to make way for Neil Peart. That's Rutsey on the Zeppelin-esque favorites 'Working Man' and 'Finding My Way.'

Eddy Arnold... May 8: The country superstar behind crossover "countrypolitan" hits like 1965's 'Make the World Go Away' died just days short of his 90th birthday.

Paul Davis... April 23: The singer-songwriter got his start with country music before topping the charts with 1977's "I Go Crazy." In 1981, he had a pair of Top 20 hits with the slicker pop songs '65 Love Affair' and 'Cool Night.' Davis died at 60 of a heart attack.

Al Wilson... April 21: The soul crooner shot to the top of the Billboard charts with his 1974 hit "Show and Tell," which spent a week atop the singles chart.

Danny Federici... April 17: As the keyboard and accordian player for Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band, Federici helped shape the sound of many of the group's songs. Springsteen called him "one of the pillars of our sound." Federici died of melanoma at the age of 58.

Charlton Heston... April 5: An Oscar-winning actor for 'Ben-Hur,' Heston also played heroic roles in films as diverse as 'The Ten Commandments,' 'Touch of Evil' and 'Planet of the Apes.' His family would not reveal the cause of death. He was 84.

Neil Aspinall... March 24: The Beatles' original road manager eventually went on to grow the band's business empire, even after the band broke up in 1970. He died at 66 after a battle with lung cancer.

Klaus Dinger... March 21: The early member of Kraftwert, co-founder of seminal Krautrock group Neu! and inventor of the robo-4/4 beat used throughout music called "motorik," died of heart failure at 61.

Ola Brunkert... March 16: The studio musician who drummed on every album released by the Swedish pop group ABBA died accidentally in his garden after cutting himself with shattered glass.

Jeff Healey... March 2: The rock and blues singer who overcame his blindness to become a Grammy-nominated musician succumbs to cancer at the age of 41.

Mike Smith... Feb. 28: The singer and keyboardist who helped lead the British Invasion with the Dave Clark Five -- scoring hits with 'Glad All Over' and 'Because.' Smith died of pneumonia just days away from being inducted into the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame. He was 64.
In '64 you were either a Beatles fan or a DC5 fan. I started out as the latter, eventually accepting the genius of the Beatles but, to this day, owning, loving, and never tiring of absolutely everything the DC5 did during their 13 album career.
To my tastes, Mike Smith had one of the finest R&R voices in the genres history.

Buddy Miles... Feb. 26, 2008: Miles grew up performing with his father's jazz band, and went on to drum for Jimi Hendrix's 'Electric Ladyland' album, Wilson Pickett, the Delfonics and others. He died after battling congestive heart failure. He was 60.

Roy Scheider... Feb. 10: By the time 1975 rolled around, Scheider had already found success -- and a pair of Oscar nominations -- with roles in 'The French Connection' and 'All That Jazz.' Then came 'Jaws,' the film the actor will forever be best known for. He was 75.

John Stewart... Jan. 20, 2008: He recorded 13 albums as a member of The Kingston Trio, but his biggest success was 'Daydream Believer,' a song he wrote but didn't record. It was a No. 1 hit for The Monkees in 1967 and went to No. 12 for Anne Murray in 1980. Stewart died a day after suffering either a massive stroke or brain aneurysm.

Suzanne Pleshette... Jan. 19: Pleshette, who died of respiratory failure, was best known for her role as Emily Hartley opposite Bob Newhart on 'The Bob Newhart' show. She was 70.

"This boy's diseased with rhythm!" -Bing Crosby (Road To Rio, '49)
JohnnyZ

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, I either forgot or did not know about Buddy Miles. I loved his tempo and especially strong beat. Gotta go dig out my Band of Gypsies and listen to Them Changes on 11...
Millibobs

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, it's all kind of sad but it's also the old 'circle of life' thing as well. If we think about the friends and family who have also passed, we can contemplate the good things that they brought and do our best to celebrate their lives and wish them a safe journey. Musically speaking, I know a few of the people Daved has listed and in other cases, the link between them and famous people/tunes is only now apparent.

One thing's for sure, whatever time I get allotted in the grand scheme of things, I don't intend to waste a minute of it and it would be nice to think that people would remember me with the same affection that we have for some of our musical heroes.

Round and round we go!
Tele295

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember Robben subbing for Hiram in the house band on David Sanborn's TV show "Night Music". He was a good'un. Vaya con Dios, Hiram.
Daved
Robben Connection

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy "Thorpie" Thorpe :
I just discovered this one and it breaks my heart.

Guitarist/vocalist Billy Thorpe was touted as fronting one of the loudest R&R bands, The Aztecs, to ever storm an Australian stage. I discovered and loved him in the early 80's during his brief forage away from the Aztecs, into 'concept rock' with his Children Of The Sun anthem and trilogy.
It was also my first knowledgable exposure to bassist extraordinaire Leland Sklar, a key member in his solo band.

Children Of The Sun begins with one of the most extraordinary processed drum solo/intros ever.

The unfortunate demise of his label, Pasha, threw serious thorns in the proper promotion of his band , material, and albums, forcing him to eventually return to Australia, reforming the Aztecs, and the 'party rock' he was mostly known and loved for by his fellow Australians.

From wikipedia:
"Thorpe suffered from chest pains at his home on 28 February 2007, and was taken by an ambulance to St. Vincent's Hospital in Sydney around 2:00 am AEDT after having a massive heart attack. He remained in the emergency ward in a serious condition. He went into cardiac arrest around half an hour later, and the hospital staff unsuccessfully attempted to resuscitate him. His family was by his side when he died. Thorpe was 60 years old.
He is survived by his wife Lynn, and daughters Rusty and Lauren. Thorpe's manager Michael Chugg said the death is a "terrible tragedy", as Thorpe had just finished recording a new album Tangier and was very happy after a recent acoustic tour.
He was posthumously appointed a Member of the Order of Australia in June 2007 for his contribution to music as a musician, songwriter and producer."

frank0936

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Another great one gone... Reply with quote

I just read on the Fender forum that Richard Wright of Pink Floyd has died of cancer at age 65. Another giant has gone.
Frank
Bluelobster

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Bouch Reply with quote

Well may be it's only me realizing we are mere mortals or 2008 is F++++
year?????
Daved
Robben Connection

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Levi Stubbs :

Stubbs began his professional singing career with friends Abdul "Duke" Fakir, Renaldo "Obie" Benson and Lawrence Payton to form the Four Aims in 1954. Two years later, the group changed their name to the Four Tops. The group began as a supper-club act before finally signing to Motown Records in 1963; by the end of the decade, the Four Tops had over a dozen hits to their name. The most popular of the Four Tops hits, all of which featured Stubbs on lead vocals, include "Baby I Need Your Loving", "I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch)", "It's the Same Old Song", "Reach Out I'll Be There", "Standing in the Shadows of Love", "Bernadette", "Still Water (Love)", and "Ain't No Woman (Like the One I've Got)".

Although Stubbs was a natural baritone, most of the Four Tops' hits were written in a tenor range to give the lead vocals a sense of urgency. Stubbs and the other Tops remained a team until Payton died in 1997, at which point Theo Peoples took his place. The Four Tops were elected to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1990. Benson also died on July 1, 2005. Levi Stubbs passed away after a long illness on October 17, 2008.

As an actor, he provided the voice of the carnivorous plant "Audrey II" ("Feed me, Seymor... feed me!!") in the movie version of the musical Little Shop of Horrors (1986) and the voice of Mother Brain in the animated TV series Captain N: The Game Master (1989). Stubbs has also guest starred in a number of TV shows as himself.

Stubbs and his wife Clineice were married from 1960 until his death, and had five children. In 1995, Stubbs was diagnosed with cancer, and later, a stroke, and stopped touring. Since 2000, Theo Peoples has taken Stubbs' place as the lead singer of the Four Tops, with Ronnie McNeir taking the place that Payton originally held. Levi Stubbs died in his sleep on October 17, 2008 at his home in Detroit from his ailments. Abdul "Duke" Fakir is the only surviving member of The Four Tops original lineup.

Stubbs was a cousin of soul singer Jackie Wilson.

Daved
Robben Connection

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Her biggest hit was the song "Santa Baby", receiving heavy airplay every holiday season.
Eartha Kitt died from colon cancer on Chrismas day, 2008, at the age of 81.

She was an American actress, singer, and cabaret star. She was perhaps best known for her 1953 Christmas song "Santa Baby". Orson Welles once called her the "most exciting woman in the world".

In 1967, Miss Kitt made an indelible mark on pop culture as the infamous CATWOMAN in the television series, BATMAN when she took over the role for the 3rd season of the 1960s Batman TV series, replacing Julie Newmar, who was unavailable for the final season.. She immediately became synonymous with the role and her trademark growl became imitated worldwide.

A true multi-media star, she has distinguished herself in film, theater, cabaret, music and on television. Miss Kitt is one of only a handful of performers to be nominated for a Tony (three times), the Grammy (twice), and Emmy Award (twice).

Kitt began her career as a member of the Katherine Dunham Company and made her film debut with them in Casbah (1948). A talented singer with a distinctive voice, her hits include "Let's Do It," "Champagne Taste," "C'est si bon," "Just an Old Fashioned Girl," "Monotonous," "Je cherche un homme," "Love for Sale," "I'd Rather Be Burned as a Witch," "Uska Dara," "Mink, Schmink," "Under the Bridges of Paris," and her most recognizable hit, "Santa Baby," which was released in 1953. Kitt's unique style was enhanced as she became fluent in the French language during her years performing in Europe. She had some skill in other languages too, which she demonstrates with finesse in many of the live recordings of her cabaret performances.

rongtr

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched a repeat of Conan O'Brien last night with Issac Hayes along with the Max Weinberg Seven with Issac's guitarist, additional horns and singers doing Shaft, but substituting "Conan". It was hilarious, an incredible performance, and a great way to remember Issac. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> The Daved Zone All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: