Robben Ford Discussion :: View topic - looking for a Fender Robben Ford made in Japan
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through this link.
Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index

Robben Ford Discussion
The Official Robben Ford Discussion Group

www.RobbenFord.com
All Access Pass

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

looking for a Fender Robben Ford made in Japan
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> The Daved Zone
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lemonjefferson

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RnB wrote:
Hi all, Haven't posted here for a long time, but this thread caught my attention.

I have a MIJ Model also. Bought it used about 10 or so years ago. It's an Ultra SP Model (a '93 or '94?), & it's in fabulous cond. I asked Robben to sign the control cover plate for it one nite, when he was playing at Yoshi's in Oakland. He obliged, even though it was right after a great set w/ the Blue Line. I haven't been playing it all that much lately, because I've been using my Tele & acoustics since I've stopped playing out.

It has the original pups in it, which are the SD '59 & JB. I did change-out the bridge & TP in favor of some Gibson ones, cause I like a cleaner look...but it's all reversible. The back is Alder w/ a tummy cut, & it has a Spruce top. Not a heavy guitar, due to the tone chambers. I brought it to practice one nite and it floored everyone in the band. It be a real strong contender!

When I first got it, I think it was about the time that Fender had just released the US versions. I couldn't believe the prices they were asking for them either. In retrospect, I think I made out OK... Wink I had heard that the Japanese models were actually better & that made me feel OK? The people at Gelb Music in Redwood City told me that they were made for Fender by Ibanez. How true that it, I'm not 100%, but they are a good source. If someone could enlighten me w/more info, that'd be great. Robben had purchased his original Fender Espirit there, back in the '80's. I think Garth Weber has one just like mine too?

some pics:

Rich

Thats a beautiful MIJ RF!!! lovely colour Ive seen a few of these - I have a red sunburst model but prefer the natural colour on yours.

The bridge mod makes a difference but interestingly the original bridge also sounds good.

The neck on my 1990 MIJ RF is very slim and I sometimes would prefer something a little more chunky - Im suprised that the US models are also slim.

thanks
LJ
RnB

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well after much thought & some persistent pursuasion, I caved in and sold my '94 MIJ RF Model this evening to a well-deserved Forum member!

It's the orangish/amber colored one that is pictured previous to this post.
I hadn't been playing it much lately, so I felt it was time to turn it over to a big RF & Garth Weber fan, and also an aspiring player who will play & enjoy it immensely. I know I'll miss it, but it's going to some young talent...Congratulations Phill B!

Last edited by RnB on Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:16 am; edited 1 time in total
richardmca

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky Phil B Very Happy Very Happy I love the colour!

How about summing up your impressions, Phil, once you've had a few days with this one?

There is so little information on these guitars that every little contribution to the picture helps.

I've now made contact with a friend who has a MIJ Esprit and a Flame, so I thought I might try to do a comparative road test between the two of them, and my 94 custom shop Flame Ultra FM. I'm interested mainly in the tonal differences between the spruce and maple tops, but I will look at build quality too (although I'm sure it's brilliant on the MIJ ones). With any luck, I'll be able to post photographs, measurements, and some comparative sound samples too. Rich.
richardmca

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come to think of it, another friend has just acquired a Squier Esprit, so that would be another interesting comparison. Hey, we'd better devise a judging panel with some proper statistically-weighted voting system to eliminate favouritism for our own guitars
jazzgtrl4

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres mine i got from a guy on here recently. was thinking aout changing out the pickups to Some Seymour Duncan or Lindy Frailin Unbuckers.

richardmca

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the look of that. Spruce top I presume?
jazzgtrl4

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richardmca wrote:

Yes i believe so
Ian Hurtt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzgtrl4 wrote:
richardmca wrote:

Yes i believe so

It's spruce. Cool
jazzgtrl4

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm heres one forsale at a ridiculous price

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140282780584&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching
jconstant

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzgtrl4 wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140282780584&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching

That guy must be high on something. To begin with, there's no such thing as a Japanese custom shop model. It's one or the other. And it's not a custom shop model. And the description is written like a 5 year old would write.

Nice looking guitar though, but the price...please.
jazzgtrl4

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jconstant wrote:
jazzgtrl4 wrote:

That guy must be high on something. To begin with, there's no such thing as a Japanese custom shop model. It's one or the other. And it's not a custom shop model. And the description is written like a 5 year old would write.

Nice looking guitar though, but the price...please.

Ya high on something is right. Also why have Robben sign it right on the top. I wouldnt do it, thats just me though.
jconstant

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzgtrl4 wrote:

Ya high on something is right. Also why have Robben sign it right on the top. I wouldnt do it, thats just me though.

True that. Robben signed my guitar but I asked him to do it on the back of the headstock. As a matter of fact, it's my avatar picture just to the left.
jconstant

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked the guy if it was made in Japan or the Custom Shop and he replied, "
this is the Japanese custom shop this is the same model robben
played on talk to your daughter that guitar he played was from the Japanese custom shop as well".

I told him there was no such thing and that Custom Shop means something very specific so he should be careful with the description. The reply - "Well its was the Robben Ford model that he was using on talk to your daughter it has the Robben Rord truss rod cover on it and it was after the esprie guitars in the 80's but i'm under the impression it was made in japan i could be wrong"

I can see that he never did change the description and the auction has ended. Moron.
jazzgtrl4

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jconstant wrote:
I asked the guy if it was made in Japan or the Custom Shop and he replied, "
this is the Japanese custom shop this is the same model robben
played on talk to your daughter that guitar he played was from the Japanese custom shop as well".

I told him there was no such thing and that Custom Shop means something very specific so he should be careful with the description. The reply - "Well its was the Robben Ford model that he was using on talk to your daughter it has the Robben Rord truss rod cover on it and it was after the esprie guitars in the 80's but i'm under the impression it was made in japan i could be wrong"

I can see that he never did change the description and the auction has
ended. Moron.

Ya total idiot. Ya if i had Robben sign it thats where it would be, behind the headstock. I wonder if he is going to relist it. He also said he had a case with it but never put that picture in the auction. I wonder what his offers were because there were four of them at the auctions end. These are cool guitars, i wouldn't mind finding another someday at a reasonable price. Do you have the orignal pickups in yours?
jconstant

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzgtrl4 wrote:

Ya total idiot. Ya if i had Robben sign it thats where it would be, behind the headstock. I wonder if he is going to relist it. He also said he had a case with it but never put that picture in the auction. I wonder what his offers were because there were four of them at the auctions end. These are cool guitars, i wouldn't mind finding another someday at a reasonable price. Do you have the orignal pickups in yours?

Hi,

A few years ago I swapped the originals for a JB Model and 59 Model and it made a huge difference. Had a little trouble with the wiring and ended up having a professional do it though. It was worth the money in the end. If I'm not mistaken, those are the pickups that they were made with when it was being produced by the Custom Shop, but the ones that came in the MIJ models, like mine, were of unknown origin.
Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> The Daved Zone All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: