Robben Ford Discussion :: View topic - looking for a Fender Robben Ford made in Japan
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through this link.
Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index

Robben Ford Discussion
The Official Robben Ford Discussion Group

www.RobbenFord.com
All Access Pass

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

looking for a Fender Robben Ford made in Japan
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> The Daved Zone
View previous topic :: View next topic  
richardmca

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the MIJ ones had Schaller pickups. The CA Custom Shop ones had SDs.
jconstant

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richardmca wrote:
I thought the MIJ ones had Schaller pickups. The CA Custom Shop ones had SDs.

I have a vague recollection of hearing something like that too.
jazzgtrl4

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jconstant wrote:
jazzgtrl4 wrote:

Ya total idiot. Ya if i had Robben sign it thats where it would be, behind the headstock. I wonder if he is going to relist it. He also said he had a case with it but never put that picture in the auction. I wonder what his offers were because there were four of them at the auctions end. These are cool guitars, i wouldn't mind finding another someday at a reasonable price. Do you have the orignal pickups in yours?

Hi,

A few years ago I swapped the originals for a JB Model and 59 Model and it made a huge difference. Had a little trouble with the wiring and ended up having a professional do it though. It was worth the money in the end. If I'm not mistaken, those are the pickups that they were made with when it was being produced by the Custom Shop, but the ones that came in the MIJ models, like mine, were of unknown origin.
Smile

Cool thanks i was thinking about swapping these out for something. I have heard good things about those Duncans you have. i also looked into a set of Lindy Fralin Unbuckers. I see your in CA. what part? im in Palm Springs.
jconstant

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzgtrl4 wrote:

Cool thanks i was thinking about swapping these out for something. I have heard good things about those Duncans you have. i also looked into a set of Lindy Fralin Unbuckers. I see your in CA. what part? im in Palm Springs.

I'm over in Glendale (near LA, for those of you in other parts of the world).
jazzgtrl4

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jconstant wrote:
jazzgtrl4 wrote:

I'm over in Glendale (near LA, for those of you in other parts of the world).

Gottcha. iu used to live in Pasadena when i was going to school at MI in Hollyworld. btw check out this Robben forsale on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=290279993629
FatTeleTom

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, $12,000? Are they really that rare?

I'm no ebay expert, but somehow that seems like an optimistic starting bid, especially for a seller with only 1 feedback? And the description is in dire need of a few paragraph breaks.

Nice-looking guitar though.
jconstant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy shit. $12,000? I'm sure it's a beautiful guitar but unless Robben is going to deliver it himself, become my BFF and give me lessons as part of the deal, it's not worth $12,000.
Mikka

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Very interisting topic !

I would like share something with you.
I don't have the chance to own an Esprit Ultra or a RF Fender signature but I own an Ibanez guitar that make a good job for this kind of sound.
It's an AXD82P, not produced anymore.

It's a very nice hollowbody guitar with a spruce top and mahogany back and sides, with a mahogany central block and a five piecesMahogany/Maple neck .

I moved out the stock pickups for seymour duncan SH2 and SH4 and changed the tone pot by a Push-Pull pot to splitt the Humbucker to single coil wiring.

I realy like the tone, it's got that special Robben's richer and mellow twang in splitted position and his smooth and open middle sound when the pickups are used in Humbucker wiring position.

This is a very versatile guitar.

Here is a sample I recorded whith a DIY amp.
A second.
A third
A Fourth
A Last

The Neck is well thick but not as a Gibson Neck maybe just a few less.

For a better sparkly sound with more expressive feeling I notice that it's preferable to have less curved neck than possible for the more closed strings of the board, and in the same time you increase the playability.
It's what I've done on all my guitars and I enjoye the result !
jazzgtrl4

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikka wrote:
Hi,

Very interisting topic !

I would like share something with you.
I don't have the chance to own an Esprit Ultra or a RF Fender signature but I own an Ibanez guitar that make a good job for this kind of sound.
It's an AXD82P, not produced anymore.

It's a very nice hollowbody guitar with a spruce top and mahogany back and sides, with a mahogany central block and a five piecesMahogany/Maple neck .

I moved out the stock pickups for seymour duncan SH2 and SH4 and changed the tone pot by a Push-Pull pot to splitt the Humbucker to single coil wiring.

I realy like the tone, it's got that special Robben's richer and mellow twang in splitted position and his smooth and open middle sound when the pickups are used in Humbucker wiring position.

This is a very versatile guitar.

Here is a sample I recorded whith a DIY amp.
A second.
A third
A Fourth
A Last

The Neck is well thick but not as a Gibson Neck maybe just a few less.

For a better sparkly sound with more expressive feeling I notice that it's preferable to have less curved neck than possible for the more closed strings of the board, and in the same time you increase the playability.
It's what I've done on all my guitars and I enjoye the result !

Very nice Ive never seen that Ibanez before. what is the year?. do you want to sell it? Laughing
jconstant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful guitar and it sounds fantastic! Nice job!
Mikka

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
what is the year?.

I bought it in 2005 and it was new.

Quote:
do you want to sell it? Laughing

No, never !
Laughing

Quote:
Very nice Ive never seen that Ibanez before.

Quote:
Beautiful guitar and it sounds fantastic! Nice job!

Yeah, it was a stroke of luck.
I choiced it on the Ibanez web pages and I told to my saler :
"That this one I want, how much ?"
When I received it, I found that the accoustic tone was very nice but the pickups didn't give the good sound, but I fel it very confortable and playable.
So I decided to moved the pickups for better pickups.
No regrets !

Wink
JackD

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that person who was selling his custom shop RF must have bumped his head. I saw some of those go for +/- $5000 at most. Some for even less. I had a mint MIJ RF that I had modifed just like the custom shops (with the same Duncan pickups and tonepros bridge and tail piece). that thing was mint and played and sounded fantastic. I sold it for $2,700. In short, there are great RF guitars out there--you have just to be patient and look for them.
jazzgtrl4

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackD wrote:
Wow, that person who was selling his custom shop RF must have bumped his head. I saw some of those go for +/- $5000 at most. Some for even less. I had a mint MIJ RF that I had modifed just like the custom shops (with the same Duncan pickups and tonepros bridge and tail piece). that thing was mint and played and sounded fantastic. I sold it for $2,700. In short, there are great RF guitars out there--you have just to be patient and look for them.

Your right. i bought my MIJ for $1500. there have been two guys recently on Ebay with RF's and they have been out of their mind with the prices. I think the guy with the 12k one i first saw it if im not mistaken for 10k!!. I think he raised it 2 grand?!...
frank0936

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: ridiculous! Reply with quote

I just looked at it again and the auction had ended and showed a BIN of $3399.00
Frank
SuperReverb2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soooooooooooooo. If one had the chance to get one of these guitars made today, which model would be the most recommended?

Greg Fessler (Fender US Custom Shop Masterbuilder) will build any model of the RF guitars for a whopping price of $9000.00 MSRP/MAP, and John Carruthers (co creator of the original RF guitar) currently builds his version of the RF guitar for $5995.00.

Greg Fessler will build:

1) 3 piece maple set neck, ebony board, chambered alder body, carved spruce top.
2) mahogany set neck, ebony board, chambered mahogany body, carved spruce top
3) mahogany set neck, ebony board, chambered mahogany body, carved maple top
4) mahogany neck, rosewood board, solid mahogany body, carved maple top

*Specs as per the US Custom Shop guitars for the RF model (obviously no affiliation to RF) and the pickups are SD 59/JB.

John Carruthers will build:

1) mahogany set neck, ebony board, chambered mahogany body, carved spruce top

*Specs are similar to the RF model but the body is slightly smaller and thinner due to the "violin" type edge carve on the spruce top. Pickups are specially designed SD's and are uncovered. Push/pull pots on BOTH tone knobs allow for coil taps on both the neck and bridge pickups.

I am considering one of these guitars, but I'm unsure as to which model to get. (obviously if I can get an original before I decide on one of these I'll go that route)
My first thought was to get one like the orignals (love that tone) which would be the maple neck, ebony board, alder body, carved spruce top guitar. After some thought though, I'm leaning towards the mahogany neck, ebony board, chambered mahogany body, carved spruce top guitar to make it a little more versatile, and to be able to cop some of his later tones as well.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time in advance.

Smile

Super Reverb, Carol-Ann 100 watt 6L6 combo, Bludotone 100 watt head and 2 x 12 cabinet.

Malekko Spring Chicken, Malekko Spring Chicken Limited Edition, Hermida Reverb,
T-Rex Room Mate, TC Electronics 2290

OKKO Diablo, Burnetti Amps Mercury Box, Skeddy Srewdriver, FET Dream, Wampler Super Ecstasy.

Furman Power Factor Pro

Van Den Hul Cables

V-Picks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> The Daved Zone All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: