Robben Ford Discussion :: View topic - Banzai Fireball II
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through this link.
Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index

Robben Ford Discussion
The Official Robben Ford Discussion Group

www.RobbenFord.com
All Access Pass

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Banzai Fireball II
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonemaster2_11

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 7:46 pm    Post subject: Pedal Mod Reply with quote

Before you guys plunk down the serious cash for a Banzai I recommend digging that old RAT pedal out of your closet and trying the mod posted at www.diyguitaramp.com . There's no soldering required and it's reversible if you don't like it.
It's my nephew's site and the RAT pedal he modded was MINE. I asked him to make it more useable for me since I always liked its inherent tone and the quality of its distortion. I just thought it was too thin sounding.
After the mod it is less compressed, a little less gain but what it has is more finely tuneable and it doesn't rob the signal of low end like it used to. Give it a try. I've sold off more than a few expensive pedals since I started using it and it's about the only pedal I use anymore. Could save you alot of $$$!
Aeolian

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was basically set to buy a Fulldrive II from Jing Chi Fan as I wanted a basic tone-in-a-box pedal that I could plug into any horrid Line-6 or whatever backline gear, and get a decent sound. I have a Klon Centaur which works great on good amps. I normally play thorugh a Fuchs ODS which Andy has tweaked to my liking or a one-off made by Bruce Zinky (who designed the Tone Master among others for Fender) so I'm pretty well set for gain tones.

I saw something on Daved's page about the Banzai and then heard Robben playing it through a Twin at the SC festival. Checked the web site and it looked like an update of the Fulltone. The price was better than a new Fulltone so I put in my order. Seemed like it would work for what I want.

Now I'm wondering what happened as I can't get any response from Banzai and they have my money.

Garth is playing down here in a couple of weeks so I'll ask him about the Stampede. His normal rig is a very complicated set up with two amps, attenuators, and a homebuilt switchboard. (his dad was an electronics teacher) Having been on the same bill with him, he was kind of coy about the set-up but with his hands it really doesn't matter that much. He also has all kinds of stuff at his studio to do other kinds of sounds if he wants to.

Yours for great tone and customer service Shocked
midc74

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aeolian,

Not sure if you have tried the AC Boost yet or not.. but I thought I would tell you about my first impressions of it.

The first night I used it was through my Fuchs ODS.. I guess I was un-impressed.. it wasn't really what I was looking for.. although it did sound great. The funny thing is.. it sounded almost identical to my OD channel on the Fuchs. So it didn't give me anything that I didn't already have. The tone was slightly warmer, maybe a little fatter sounding compared to the Fuchs OD. Less edgy..

Then.. the last time I played, I used my Mesa/Boogie Subway Blues.. again with the same pedals (Juicer, ACB, Boss DM-2).. and I was blown away. That little amp never sounded so good. It was amazing.. I actually played better than I have in a long time (or ever).. it was very cool. I don't know if it was my playing that made the amp sound so good, or the fact that it DID sound so good, made me play even better.. Does that ever happen to you?

Anyhow.. the ACB isn't anything special with my Fuchs.. but (so far) with other amps it kills. Might be what you're looking for.. Although, I've read a lot that it's a very transparent OD pedal.. So, I would imagine it will make good tube amps sound even better.. No idea what it would do for a solid state amp.

Patrick
Garth Webber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 2:16 am    Post subject: Banzai Fireball II Reply with quote

Quote:
Aeolian wrote: <<Garth is playing down here in a couple of weeks so I'll ask him about the Stampede. His normal rig is a very complicated set up with two amps, attenuators, and a homebuilt switchboard. (his dad was an electronics teacher) Having been on the same bill with him, he was kind of coy about the set-up but with his hands it really doesn't matter that much. He also has all kinds of stuff at his studio to do other kinds of sounds if he wants to.>>

This is my first post on this forum so please forgive me if I screw anything up (like quoting text etc). Sorry if I was not forthcoming about my rig. My current setup is simpler now than it was a few years ago. I now use only one amp, a '95 Fender Concert amp. Here's the signal chain: From my guitar I go into a Carl Martin compressor pedal, then to an old Boss SD1, then into a home made switch which routes the signal to the tuner or the amp but never both simultaneously. Then I go straight to the amp. In the amp's effects loop I have a little Alesis Pico Verb which I use to add a little delay or extra verb. I would be happy to give my settings if anyone is interested but they change somewhat from gig to gig of course.
One slight correction. My father was a math teacher, not electronics, but in any case he had nothing whatsoever to do with my very limited knowledge (or lack thereof) of electronics.
As far as the Stampede SOV1, I think its one of the best pedals I've tried but I'm still more comfortable using the SD-1 probably just because of how used to it I am.
I am happy to answer any questions about my rig but you might ping me via email so I know a question has been asked. I will respond on the forum.

Garth~
elizabeth
Robben Fan #1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 6:20 am    Post subject: Welcome Reply with quote

Hi Garth,

Welcome to our board; it is an honor to have such a fine musician among us. Don't worry about board expertise...we appreciate the lack of it resoundingly! (Well, I do!)

If you haven't heard this outstanding man, trust me: just buy any of his CDs; you will NOT be sorry. How ironic is it that Saturday, while filling up my car, I had Get A Grip on the Blues blasting for "mood music." A guy walked up and asked, "Who the HELL is that? It's f@#%in' fantastic!"

I showed him the cover and gave him a 60 second musical consciousness raising session, to which he replied (Sorry Garth...) "Never heard of him!"

It is my (not so humble) opinion that this man's name should be a household word, particularly if you love fine guitar. (I sing with him in my car all the time, so Garth, I feel like I know you.) You rock! I adore Hard Rain and You're a Bad One...cannot EVER get them loud enough in the car!

Please tell us where/when you are playing. Smile
marinblues

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ho, ho, ho!!!! Laughing

GARTH WEBBER!!!!!!

Welcome to the board!

I saw you playing with Miles in 1986 in London!

Great Stuff!

marin

________
Honda VF and VFR

Last edited by marinblues on Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total
edpesco

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garth, did I tell you that "man on a mission" and "sidestreet" are always a great success when we play those tunes live?
Anyone who hasen't already done so: BUY Garh Webber's MAN ON A MISSION and all the others.....
Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Ed
Aeolian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's unfortunate that we don't get to see Garth live very often but it is always a real treat and definitely worth chasing down. I saw him once take 20 or something chorus's of a slow blues and it was incredible. He just kept taking us on a trip. Building and dropping, teasing and letting us have it, only to take it higher still. I was exhausted and elated at the same time. With a lot of guitarists, this could have been a big ego trip (and they would have gone through all they had in a few chorus's), but Garth had something to say the entire time and it was all about the music and making an emotional statement. Pick up any album you can, but really try to see him live.
And I really hope that the next time Pat puts one of his Blue Rockett tours together, we get to see Garth and Robben together. I've been to a bunch of these and the line up always seems to separate them. Some of the trading fours on Garth's last album probably only hint at what these guys could inspire each other to live.
Garth Webber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 5:27 am    Post subject: Banzai Fireball II Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words folks. Its nice to see a group that appeciates Robben (my favorite guiatr player in the world) as much as I do. Cool

Garth~
kirk95
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Banzai Fireball II Reply with quote

Garth Webber wrote:
Thanks for the kind words folks. Its nice to see a group that appeciates Robben (my favorite guiatr player in the world) as much as I do. Cool
Garth~

Thanks Garth! Yeah, we have a great group up here that keeps getting bigger and better every day. Especially when people as talented as you contribute as well! Cool

Thanks for stopping bye! I am dying to catch you live one of these days. Come out to Boulder and I will make sure you play to a packed house!

Kirk out! Very Happy

P.S. Everybody, you can check out Garth's music right here: http://www.garthwebber.com/mp3.shtml

Check it out!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
juspasinby2003

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Banzai Fireball II Reply with quote

kirk95 wrote:
[Thanks Garth! Yeah, we have a great group up here that keeps getting bigger and better every day. Especially when people as talented as you contribute as well! Cool

Thanks for stopping bye! I am dying to catch you live one of these days. Come out to Boulder and I will make sure you play to a packed house!

Kirk out! Very Happy

P.S. Everybody, you can check out Garth's music right here: http://www.garthwebber.com/mp3.shtml

Check it out!!

I don't think he will need any help packing a house in Boulder. He grew up in and started his career in Boulder before moving to the Bay Area.
Garth Webber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 2:32 am    Post subject: Banzai Fireball II Reply with quote

Quote:
[I don't think he will need any help packing a house in Boulder. He grew up in and started his career in Boulder before moving to the Bay Area.]

Yeah I was just about to bring that up. My first teacher was Tommy Bolin. I was a fledgling drummer when I first saw Tommy play with the band Zephyr in the late 60s. Shortly thereafter I started to switch to guitar. One summer Tommy and his band Energy rehearsed in the dairy barn on the farm where I lived out on 47th. By the time that summer ('71 or '72 I think) was over I had made the switch to guitar.
I havent been back to Boulder in more than 20 years. It sure was a great place to grow up and I miss it.

Garth~
HHB

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, TB was your first teacher, how very cool!!! welcome to this board, HHB
kirk95
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Banzai Fireball II Reply with quote

Garth Webber wrote:
Quote:
[I don't think he will need any help packing a house in Boulder. He grew up in and started his career in Boulder before moving to the Bay Area.]

Yeah I was just about to bring that up. My first teacher was Tommy Bolin. I was a fledgling drummer when I first saw Tommy play with the band Zephyr in the late 60s. Shortly thereafter I started to switch to guitar. One summer Tommy and his band Energy rehearsed in the dairy barn on the farm where I lived out on 47th. By the time that summer ('71 or '72 I think) was over I had made the switch to guitar.
I havent been back to Boulder in more than 20 years. It sure was a great place to grow up and I miss it.

Garth~

Well it's time to come back to Boulder! Come out and do a bunch of gigs and hang with us!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
juspasinby2003

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 11:35 am    Post subject: It Ain't The Gear. Reply with quote

I think its noteworthy that Garth's overdrive tone comes from a $50 pedal, a Boss SD-1. If you have heard him, then you can appreciate how remarkable that is. Which tends to prove that it ain't the gear that makes the player.

You can get good tone from many choices of equipment, but it won't happen without the right technique, talent, taste, and experience. A Dumble is a beautiful piece of equipment and sounds majestic in the right hands, but it is simply not a necessary prerequisite for world-class tone or exceptional chops. Without dedication, endless practice and a love for the muse, a Dumble would be just one more burden to lug around in your quest to become as good as it gets.

We all lust after gear from time to time, and it's easy to forget that it's the music, not the gear, that brings us happiness and saves our souls. You would do yourselves a greater service by freeing yourselves from your burdensome possessions by sending your gear to me Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: