Robben Ford Discussion :: View topic - Wanna get sick? Read This Thread!
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through this link.
Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index

Robben Ford Discussion
The Official Robben Ford Discussion Group

www.RobbenFord.com
All Access Pass

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wanna get sick? Read This Thread!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bluelobster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluesman wrote:
Somebody mentioned that Jimi Hendrix was more famous for burning up his guitar than playing it Crying or Very sad

For the masses certainly. Sad
elizabeth
Robben Fan #1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:46 am    Post subject: Hideous Reply with quote

Hideous, but then it is the masses who elect the George Bushes, the Ahnolds, believe that violence and avarice are admirable traits, and point fingers at others, while they allow their own gardens to deteriorate in disarray.

Personally, I am exquisitely proud NOT to fit in among them. May I always have the courage to think and act independently. (Thanks Mom and Dad! Wish you were here.)

If you want me, I'll be at my aerobics class! Smile

love, elizabeth

...oh, p.s. "Voodoo Crossing" is fanfuckingtastic (excuse my profanity!)
Sonarguitar

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Hideous Reply with quote

elizabeth wrote:
Hideous, but then it is the masses who elect the George Bushes, the Ahnolds, believe that violence and avarice are admirable traits, and point fingers at others, while they allow their own gardens to deteriorate in disarray.

Personally, I am exquisitely proud NOT to fit in among them. May I always have the courage to think and act independently. (Thanks Mom and Dad! Wish you were here.)

If you want me, I'll be at my aerobics class! Smile

love, elizabeth

...oh, p.s. "Voodoo Crossing" is fanfuckingtastic (excuse my profanity!)

I think Elizabeth's post best points out that there are plenty of folks that are just wired differently (er...um...I mean, independently). Perhaps the poster (Daddyo on the Gear Page) just believes Tab Benoit is the center of the blues universe and he also probably believes he is defining the "courage to think and act independently" in posting his musical thoughts. I'd bet, he too, is exquisitely proud to be such a rebel. Wink

I believe this is a diagreement more akin to arguing the merits of brussel sprouts as a viable meal alternative. I mean, to me, Tab Benoit would be brussel sprouts on my plate -- you'd have to tie me down and FORCE me to endure a Tab Benoit CD.

But, as luck would have it, I can choose to listen to Robben Ford and not think anything one way or the other about the questionable musical taste or political views of others.

I rather enjoy the thought that a Robben Ford concert is still a place filled with kindred musical spirits as opposed to a "popular artist" such as Santana who has concerts which seem to be filled with radio contest winners and "flavor-of-the-month" Grammy groupees. BUT when Entertainment Tonight starts interviewing attendees entering Robben Ford concerts (and commenting on their attire and companions along the red carpet), I imagine it would be time for me to re-think my position. Laughing
elizabeth
Robben Fan #1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 9:19 am    Post subject: uhhhhh, ummm, errrrr Reply with quote

...I love brussel sprouts (so do both my children!) and I maintain that, once again, you can blame this blasphemy on the masses, who cook the life out of their vegetables, play their guitars (piano, sax, fill in the instrument of your choice) so that they no longer resonate the life force they possess; they paint and write by the numbers, color "IN THE LINES" (oooh, don't get me goin' on that one...I started out as a Kindergarten teacher) and maintain that, "...lips have to be red, the sky has to be blue..." and so forth. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

In addition to being somewhat "odd," or "independent," or whatever pejorative you wish to label me, I thoroughly enjoy live performance, mistakes, clams (never heard that one before this board...I rather like it!) clinkers, or even a gordian knot, made of Medusa-like arms playing each other's guitars. There is a palpable and experiential energy that is emitted, generally defies description, but is unique to each participant, player and consumer alike.

I hunger for live performance with such voracity that I even enjoy listening to live music I would not care for in a recorded medium. At the risk of sounding like the corny idiot that I am (yeah, I know it...) I cannot help reflecting back to exactly one year ago (yeah, and I'm a soppy, hopelessly romantic, nostalgic too...what, you are surprised???) when I stood before Degas' Tiny Dancer and Monet's Les Bassins des nympheas, Harmonie verte and wept. I visited and spent time with these treasures day after day, much the same way I enjoy going to see Robben perform night after night. It makes me feel alive and connected to a larger force in the Universe.

I am always shocked that everyone does not share this feeling, as it is a sense I find so integral to being alive, but on a positive note (b flat!) I am appreciative that many of the elements I find so intoxicating are often not shared by others. I have never been comfortable in crowds, anyway. And one gift that came out of that was finally getting up the nerve to go to hear one of Robben's shows by myself. It was a life altering experience (still a work in progress...even if they DO giggle and point to me as, "THAT woman...) Embarassed I'm even getting used to THAT!

Excuse me now, Mr. Pilates awaits...

love, elizabeth
iamthewalrus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 12:38 pm    Post subject: Taste . . . Reply with quote

I remember from my years in the motorcycle biz the floor sales guys saying, "there's an ass for every saddle;" (I was turning wrenches in the back).

Cheers!

P.S. I like brussles sprouts and the whole cruciferous lot. Laughing

Knock knock.
Who's there?
Control freak. Now you say "control freak who."
elizabeth
Robben Fan #1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 12:48 pm    Post subject: yeah man... Reply with quote

...brussel sprouts rule! Smile
HHB

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great thread! methinks the posters abilties are more in line w/ Tabs than RF's. Ever notice how the people who cant play as well always want the credit for soul? Many guys my age are into the indie rock/punk thing, it was our high school music ( tpp bad for me LOL ) and they always wanted credit for not showing off, I don't get it, it like , " look how out of shape I am " is some kind of honor, it's all projection to cover personal inability, sorry, but thats always been my opinion of this " soul " if your simple , "show-off " if your complex deal, HHB
Aeolian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HHB wrote:
great thread! methinks the posters abilties are more in line w/ Tabs than RF's. Ever notice how the people who cant play as well always want the credit for soul? Many guys my age are into the indie rock/punk thing, it was our high school music ( tpp bad for me LOL ) and they always wanted credit for not showing off, I don't get it, it like , " look how out of shape I am " is some kind of honor, it's all projection to cover personal inability, sorry, but thats always been my opinion of this " soul " if your simple , "show-off " if your complex deal, HHB

I know what you mean by the "badge of honor". The world has become so politically correct that fools feel safe to brandish their incompetence and some even use is preemptively to prevent being called on it. "Look how bad I am, I dare you to call me bad". Growing up in Hawaii with the strong asian influence, I am strongly affected by the "loosing face" syndrome. That is, if you don't know what you are doing, you work in gradually and learn first as you take each step. If you paddle a surfboard out at Pipeline without knowing what you are doing, you not only stand a good chance of getting killed, you could get someone else killed. Too many people expect Disneyland, where all the danger is removed, the boats ride on rails, and the "attacking" animals are synronized and choreographed. It's like putting hand rails on the trails at Yosemite so the tourists in their high heels don't fall down.

As for the soul vs. ability, I don't think they are mutually exclusive. My issue is with one dimensionality. I understand the reaction against the rock shreaders. Too much of anyone thing starts to go in one ear and out the other. Eight bars of 64th notes is impressive but becomes a drone after the first couple of bars. Similarly, b7 to root bends on the B string all day becomes tiring, no matter how much "soul" is put into it. This is my issue with the SRV clones (and to a lesser extent with the man himself), they fixated on the "high energy" part to the exclusion of any peacefullness or gentleness. Just incessant pounding. A few of them will turn down occasionally, but they are still all over the riff, pushing it ahead of the time and making it "forcefull" and "powerful". There is a place for this, but again the one dimensionality makes it hard to take for very long.

I do think that one should hear a "souless" player live before making any judgements. There is a difference when the red light goes on. When you know you are going to have to hear it forever, there is a tendancy (at least I know I have it) to focus so much on a "clean" take, that it's hard to let oneself go the same as in a live setting, when it's gone the moment you sent it out there and you can redeem yourself in the next bar. Then you can concentrate more on making a connection. Kind of like a conversation, "if they didn't understand that, maybe they'll understand this". You can give and take, and build the rapport. There's no rapport with a tape recorder.
diatonicdude

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 1:36 pm    Post subject: Soul V ability! Reply with quote

Much has already been communicated on the thread, 99% agreeable to me (I'm not sure of where the other 1% went?!).

Here in the UK, just like many countries, the stars of the music world (those who appeal to the masses) are the commercial offspring; boy bands, "pop idols" and other simarly over "you must like this or you are not hip" artists. Yes, I am afraid, like most things in mainstream life, the business man prevails. However, like Elizabeth states, we have our god given individuality. If you are luckly, you can reep the benefits of the "forbidden fruit" of the commercial music world. We have found one such garden here, with this artist, RF.

Finally, with reference to soul v ability, without doubt, there are a few stellar examples, RF being one such artist. I also have found a beautiful piece of music by an artist, both proficeint in tech ability and soul; Pat Metheny. Check out "tell her you saw me" from the "secret story" album to discover one of the most beautifully crafted, soulful, simple peices of music ever to engage my neurons. this one makes the hairs stand up on the back of the neck. He can, like RF, also rip it up.

Cheers,

DD
elizabeth
Robben Fan #1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 4:22 pm    Post subject: neurons engaged indeed Reply with quote

Pat Metheny is outstanding...and was light years ahead of the others back in the early 80s. Smile

DD, it was fun TRYING to chat with you today...the Captain is working on the system...and I was just about to ask you a trivia question about Merry Old England...

Ah well, next time. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: