Robben Ford Discussion :: View topic - Robben Ford with Landau/Haslip/Novak, Yoshi's Oakland in Jan
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through this link.
Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index

Robben Ford Discussion
The Official Robben Ford Discussion Group

www.RobbenFord.com
All Access Pass

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Robben Ford with Landau/Haslip/Novak, Yoshi's Oakland in Jan
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlChuck

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Robben Ford with Landau/Haslip/Novak, Yoshi's Oakland in Jan Reply with quote

Robben's playing at Yoshi's Oakland in January with Mike Landau, Jimmy Haslip, and Gary Novak.

1/14-1/17/2010

Not on Yoshi's website yet, saw it in yesterday's newspaper.
Twanger

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, I would kill to see this show!
AlChuck

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are also playing at the Kuumbwa Jazz Center in Santa Cruz on Tuesday, January 12th.

Robben's site has no information about any of these dates as of a couple of hours ago. But that doesn't surprise me, whoever he has maintaining that site does not feel any urgency about anything, ever... I'll take a quick look at Michael Landau and Jimmy Haslip's websites and see if their peeps are more on top of things. ...uh, it seems Michael Landau's and Jimmy Haslip's sites are about as poorly updated as is Robben's site. So let's see if Gary Novak is any better... nope, his is under construction and appears to have been in that state since 2006.
Jon07

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlChuck wrote:
They are also playing at the Kuumbwa Jazz Center in Santa Cruz on Tuesday, January 12th.

Robben's site has no information about any of these dates as of a couple of hours ago. But that doesn't surprise me, whoever he has maintaining that site does not feel any urgency about anything, ever... I'll take a quick look at Michael Landau and Jimmy Haslip's websites and see if their peeps are more on top of things. ...uh, it seems Michael Landau's and Jimmy Haslip's sites are about as poorly updated as is Robben's site. So let's see if Gary Novak is any better... nope, his is under construction and appears to have been in that state since 2006.

I complained about the very same thing in a thread with the catchy title "Why is Robben's website so utterly useless?"

To be fair Dal did come back and explain that due to the number of previous cancellations of gigs by venues/promoters which were only provisional rather than contracted, they decided to only post dates for which contracts had been signed (i.e. firm bookings) to avoid disappointing fans. I can understand why but surely it would be better to post the gigs with a 'provisional' next to them just to give fans a heads-up regarding potential gigs - e.g. if Robben was playing at the Jazz Cafe in London and I waited for the gig to be posted on Robben's website, there would be very little chance of getting a good balcony seat/table as they tend to sell out quite quickly.
PaulG

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robben is also posted for shows at:
Coach House - San Juan Capistrano 12/5
Canyon Club - Agoura Hills 1/8

I've been looking for more SoCal shows, but this is all I can find.
(Plus the ones on Robben's site)
Danny

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had tickets to see Robben at the Coach House since August, I'm STOKED. For a couple weeks there I had forgotten I had those tickets!
"Music is the only thing that you can share with a million million people and you don't lose, you gain. It helps you to get energy and to live long, because when your soul is very happy then you don't want to die." - Ali Akbar Khan
AlChuck

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulG wrote:
Robben is also posted for shows at:
Coach House - San Juan Capistrano 12/5
Canyon Club - Agoura Hills 1/8

I've been looking for more SoCal shows, but this is all I can find.
(Plus the ones on Robben's site)

I don't think the Coach House show, and the couple of other dates in early December on Robben's site, are the project with Landau, Haslip, and Novak.
Danny

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prolly not, it'd be a nice surprise though. But the promotion poster was the cover from Soul on Ten so again, prolly not.
"Music is the only thing that you can share with a million million people and you don't lose, you gain. It helps you to get energy and to live long, because when your soul is very happy then you don't want to die." - Ali Akbar Khan
AlChuck

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either way, it's bound to be a great show... I was at one of the shows this past April that Soul On Ten was recorded at, and it was just incredible.
frank0936

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:52 am    Post subject: Shows Reply with quote

I am so freakin' envious! Robben hardly ever makes it down South. The only time he was even somewhat close, I had a gig!
AlChuck

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Shows Reply with quote

frank0936 wrote:
I am so freakin' envious! Robben hardly ever makes it down South. The only time he was even somewhat close, I had a gig!

That's one nice thing about living around here... since Robben was born and raised in Mendocino County and came up on the scene around San Francisco, he tends to sweep through here fairly often...
Michael

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky me ... I found some Yoshi tickets under the tree from my son. We got to see Soul on Ten recorded from a front row seat - I cannot wait to hear this format as I always enjoy the setting at Yoshi's.
PaulG

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last nights show at the Canyon Club proved much different that most RF shows I've seen.
First off, this place is pretty big, with dinner tables in front of the stage and more in the back, raised up for vision. Very little other seating except for the 2 bars on either side. I really didn't feel that the crowd was feeling it.

Anyway, they played about 10 songs. I only recognized 3 from Robben's previous shows. (Spoonful, Set a Date, and one from Tiger Walk) They toggled songs from Robben to Mike on vocals. There was great interplay between all of them, with the 2 guitarists exchanging leads. Landau was very creative. New respect for him. Very talented.
Robben was Robben.

I enjoyed most of the new songs, but will refrain from reviewing as it usually takes time for me to really appreciate most of Robben's writings. One really nice slow blues which I wish Robben would have done more with. Others were less bluesy, but similar in feel to his more recent songs. I'm anxious to get the new cd and give them some time to sink in.

Another surprise to me was Robben's guitars. The first 4 songs he used what appears to be a mid/late 60s 335, with a trapeze tail piece. Sounded wonderful!!! I really loved it!
He then switched to another 335, but this one had a Bigsby or similar tremelo. First time I've ever seen Robben with one of those!
He finished the night with his Tele.

Those attending the remaining tour shows will enjoy some new songs, great exchanges, and some great fret work from these guys. I hope you enjoy it.
AlChuck

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info! I'm really stoked to see them - got tickets for Thursday in Oakland...
Ian Hurtt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to make these Yoshi's shows but I'll be down in SoCal at NAMM. Bummer!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: