Robben Ford Discussion :: View topic - The Flash Photography problem
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through this link.
Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index

Robben Ford Discussion
The Official Robben Ford Discussion Group

www.RobbenFord.com
All Access Pass

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Flash Photography problem
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Robben should pull a "Jerry Seinfeld" and find these people, go to their jobs, and flash bright lights in their faces while they try to make a living.
JohnnyZ

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billt wrote:
I think Robben should pull a "Jerry Seinfeld" and find these people, go to their jobs, and flash bright lights in their faces while they try to make a living.

Heck, I'd welcome Robben visiting me at my job! Laughing
Three Chord Monte

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I jumped on this thread, rather than create another, because I was searching this site to discover if the incidents of rude photographers/photophobia were isoloted. In finding this thread, I realized that they were not. It doesn't seem to me that it's just about the flash, regardless of the OP title. There's more to this than flashes of light while trying to concentrate.
Phil T

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three Chord Monte wrote:
It doesn't seem to me that it's just about the flash, regardless of the OP title. There's more to this than flashes of light while trying to concentrate.

There is a thread from back in 2003 http://dhenderson.com/online-discussion/RobbenFord/viewtopic.php?t=146&highlight=, though not strictly on the subject of flash photography, has some pertinent comments (facts) from Daved. I will paste a few quotes here for a sampling, I hope he doesn't mind.
Daved wrote:
FLASH photos have ALWAYS been a big deal with Robben and people continue to IGNORE that.
... Robben is more interested in his relationship with those who want to hear his music.
... I regularly have to leave the stage to go reinforce this to audience members when they continue to distract Robben with their cameras ...
... He feels his shows should be about the music, not the photos which distract his performance and he feels is distracting to the majority of the audience who come to see & hear the show, not to watch lots of flashing lights.
Daved wrote:
But, to Robben at present, it sucks even more when his concentration/vibe is broken/distracted, or he is blinded in the middle of that awesome, once in a lifetime performance because some people insist on taking advantage of his generosity when he DID allow still photography.
Seems to me, it's all about distraction and concentration. There seems to be a mindset of intense focus in the moment when playing those great improvised solos. Anyone who has ever seen him live will note that he looks down at the guitar most of the time, rather than out at the audience, or around the stage etc.
gill

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: flash photos Reply with quote

being a guitarist and photographer, the use of flash in a concert performance is useless. the light on stage is the only light you need. don't take xmas type photos..the music is supported by the lighting system and giving you the colors, shading and the look of the show....... black and white photos are the best. Robben Ford and all the other great players need and deserve respect on the photo issue. there is a great photo of bb king by linda mccartney. its black and white no flash time expose style. it says it all. you don't flash to get a great shot. learn how to use your camera. and be creative. sometimes the grainy, soft photos are the best. take care gil
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a good digital - you can set the speed, take pictures with a zoom and get amazing clarity. Here's a concert photo, stage lighting, handheld camera, zoom lens with a stablizer. The flash would have blown out all the sublte effects like the stage light in the glasses.

http://mlm.smugmug.com/photos/157953320_xrttW-M.jpg
marinblues

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: flash photos Reply with quote

gill wrote:
being a guitarist and photographer, the use of flash in a concert performance is useless. the light on stage is the only light you need.

So true, but a lot of idiots, apart from being totally disrespectful of the artist, don't even know how to switch of the flash on their phone/digital camera.

marin
stratnut

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: photography Reply with quote

I'm really glad someone has brought this up. I saw Robben at the Monterey blues festival in 07. For me it was almost a religeous experience getting to see such an incredible guitarist on a relatively small stage. As a wannabe guitarist (30 year) it was one of the most important inspiring shows I've been to. But Robben was acting really put out by the photographers and they just ignored him. I think the photgraphers were really out of line and it was clear that Robben did too. But I don't know if the audience should deal with it. Because that can lead to undesired confrontations. Anyway my experience was definately dampend by the mood of the artist. I know Robben's only human and has to deal with this constantly so it may be too much to expect him to have a great night every time. But... at the risk of offending die hard fans, I've been to lots of shows where the artist either ignores photographers or pretends to not mind. Part of what makes a great show (for me) is when the artist appeas to be having a great time, and Robben seemed particularly frustrated that evening. It does seem like concerts can be magnets for rude behavior. In other words rude folks aren't ever going away. So, maybe (really really sorry to say this) Robben could find a more professional way to react to these people.
Danny

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: photography Reply with quote

stratnut wrote:
Anyway my experience was definately dampend by the mood of the artist. I know Robben's only human and has to deal with this constantly so it may be too much to expect him to have a great night every time. But... at the risk of offending die hard fans, I've been to lots of shows where the artist either ignores photographers or pretends to not mind. Part of what makes a great show (for me) is when the artist appeas to be having a great time, and Robben seemed particularly frustrated that evening. It does seem like concerts can be magnets for rude behavior. In other words rude folks aren't ever going away. So, maybe (really really sorry to say this) Robben could find a more professional way to react to these people.

I'm the same way, the first time I ever saw Robben he called out someone in the crowd that was using a video camera ("Hey, whats that little red light?"), at one point he joked about calling the cops, it really messed up the night. My father (who came with me to the show) won't see him live again because of that incident. It's a shame because I saw Robben at the same venue a couple months ago and the difference was night and day, Robben put on an INCREDIBLE show!
"Music is the only thing that you can share with a million million people and you don't lose, you gain. It helps you to get energy and to live long, because when your soul is very happy then you don't want to die." - Ali Akbar Khan
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bottom line ... the venue needs to police the problem. Respectful people pay to see a great show. I've seen Robben too many times to count - and yes, a few of the shows were ruined by those snapping flashes over and over. It took Robben out of the zone and the shows were not as good. I was considerate, paid my money, and got less than expected. I understand Robben's position and as a fan will continue to attend no matter.
Danny

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My point was that to a casual fan one bad experience can be permanently off-putting. The venue can attempt to police the problem, but I think it comes down to those in the audience. If one flash is all it takes to piss Robben off then no amount of policing (aside from total cavity searches) will prevent that one flash.

Someone whose really committed to getting pictures will get them at anyone's expense.
"Music is the only thing that you can share with a million million people and you don't lose, you gain. It helps you to get energy and to live long, because when your soul is very happy then you don't want to die." - Ali Akbar Khan
Russ_Hobby

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't imagine Robben in those clothes earlier in this thread. Here is what he wore back in 1970. Much more cool ;-)

Metrodome

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not as much as the flash (though very annoying)but more about the pictures,video and recording.He does not want anyone selling or bootlegging his music or photos.I agree first before Robben plays, an annoucement should be made and if your caught you will be asked to leave the venue.Thats ok in a bar,theatre,etc but in an larger outside venue its much more difficult to police.Ive been to alot of Robbens concerts and this is definetly a serious problem.We pay pretty good money to see him play and want to enjoy the hole show but when these situations happen it can take the wind out of the sails so to speak.Many times I have seen him turn his back drop his head wave his hand etc.If it is announced and you violate the announcement you should be asked to leave period.Just my opinion though
Phil T

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daved wrote:
BTW... please note that, when i first started working with Robben 9 years ago, photos were OK, just NO flash, but...
as time went by, it became obvious that people figure, if the guy next to me can take photos WITHOUT a flash, then it's Ok (and obviously important) for ME to take photos with a flash.
Like so many other things in life, people figure that rules, and courtesy, are for other folks, not themselves.
That is why Robben eventually felt he had to go with the "No show photography... PERIOD!!!".
Though, he continues to, usually, if you don't piss him off, let you take photos with him away from the stage.

One last comment...
Ever wonder how folks like RoadWarriorForTheBlues CONTINUALLY get such great show photos?
Because people like Andrea THINK about what they're doing and RESPECT the spirit of the artists wishes.
She uses a decent camera which doesn't require flash and she stands well away from the stage, NOT being obvious or DISTRACTING to the performers...
... SO NO ONE MINDS THAt SHE IS TAKING PHOTOS...
...AND THEY LET HER TAKE HER PHOTOS!!!!!
...AND SHE TAKES GREAT PHOTOS FOR EVERYONE TO ENJOY!

Why is it so hard for everyone else to figure that out for themselves?!?!?
Phil T

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daved wrote:
BTW... please note that, when i first started working with Robben 9 years ago, photos were OK, just NO flash, but...
as time went by, it became obvious that people figure, if the guy next to me can take photos WITHOUT a flash, then it's Ok (and obviously important) for ME to take photos with a flash.
Like so many other things in life, people figure that rules, and courtesy, are for other folks, not themselves.
That is why Robben eventually felt he had to go with the "No show photography... PERIOD!!!".
Though, he continues to, usually, if you don't piss him off, let you take photos with him away from the stage.

One last comment...
Ever wonder how folks like RoadWarriorForTheBlues CONTINUALLY get such great show photos?
Because people like Andrea THINK about what they're doing and RESPECT the spirit of the artists wishes.
She uses a decent camera which doesn't require flash and she stands well away from the stage, NOT being obvious or DISTRACTING to the performers...
... SO NO ONE MINDS THAt SHE IS TAKING PHOTOS...
...AND THEY LET HER TAKE HER PHOTOS!!!!!
...AND SHE TAKES GREAT PHOTOS FOR EVERYONE TO ENJOY!

Why is it so hard for everyone else to figure that out for themselves?!?!?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: