Robben Ford Discussion :: View topic - Fender Flame - $200
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through this link.
Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index

Robben Ford Discussion
The Official Robben Ford Discussion Group

www.RobbenFord.com
All Access Pass

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fender Flame - $200

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:27 pm    Post subject: Fender Flame - $200 Reply with quote

I picked up a Fender Flame for $200 off of craigslist. Had no clue what it was, never heard of it. Seller wanted $300, I offered him $200 and he took it. I'm the 3rd owner. The 1st owner destroyed the guitar top, he tried to install a Jaguar/Jazzmaster tremolo on this guitar using a spade drill bit. I did check ebay and seen the high pricest, so I figured $200... I ain't got nothing to lose. I met the seller at a Blues Club, checked the guitar out under a street light, no damage besides the tremolo route. Didn't test it, just handed the $200 and left.

I'm a Mustang, Jaguar, Jazzmaster player... I bought the Flame cause I'm a "fender guy" and love unique gear. As soon as I plugged it in and played the guitar, I knew it was gonna be my "go to" guitar. Stock pickups are cool, but I agree a tad bit "hot & muddy". I'm thinking of trying a JB (bridge) & Jazz (neck). The collector vaule of the guitar is shot, since it's got a huge hole in it, so I'm thinking of going ahead and installing a tremolo. Any recommendations for tremolo? I'll fill the hole with maple and probally send it off to be touch up or top completely refinished. Are these poly or lacquer finishes?

Any mods or ideas would be appreciated.

Seller photo, huge Jaguar tremolo route

Spade bit mess, ground wire exposed

My bad photo, I put a Jaguar Tremolo on to cover up the hole

Another bad photo
Bluelobster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:16 am    Post subject: Fender Flame Reply with quote

As long a guitar is intended to be played you are THE lucky guy of the new year. I thought at first you got a squier ... but it's not . That hole is real
ugly ( makes me think of me trashing a 1969 music master for routing an humbucker....). The Jazmmaster trem plate looks good , or you can try to
fill it with "wood paste" .........Anyway enjoy
roadwarriorfortheblues

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Fender Flame - $200 Reply with quote

Joey wrote:
The 1st owner destroyed the guitar top, he tried to install a Jaguar/Jazzmaster tremolo on this guitar using a spade drill bit.

Looks like a prototype for Guitar Hero Razz
FatTeleTom

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that could be a great find for $200.

If it were me, I think I'd be tempted to try to fill that hole up some other way, rather than try to put some kind of trem on there. Or use it as a pick holder or something!

I'm no wood-worker, so no real ideas. Maybe start by cutting a block of some appropriate wood to the approximate size and stick it in there, fill with some wood filler. Then maybe try something to finish it?
DaveH

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you decide to restore it, it should be done by a professional. It may cost a couple few hundred, but the end result will pay a dividend should you decide to sell.
kevin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd fill the hole and refinish it a solid color.
Phil T

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Fender Flame - $200 Reply with quote

http://www.masterseriesguitars.com/
Joey wrote:
I picked up a Fender Flame for $200 off of craigslist. Had no clue what it was, never heard of it.
Phil T

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveH wrote:
If you decide to restore it, it should be done by a professional. It may cost a couple few hundred, but the end result will pay a dividend should you decide to sell.
+1
Joey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still kicking my feet around in the dirt on this one. I really want a tremolo on this guitar. Either the Jaguar tremolo or the Schaller tremolo that was added to this guitar at the US Fender factory. Anybody got any suggestions, I'm open for other tremolo idea's.

I might install a JB/Jazz in it also. At least try em out. I do like the stock, I'm just really curious if I can squeeze any more tone outta this guitar.

I like the orginal finish, would like to keep it just gotta see what a tech/finisher say can be done. Honestly want a player, not a collector. The vaule of the guitar is screwed already cause of the damage. It plays great. I'm short on cash, so don't expect a "completed" follow up any time soon as the repairs will probally excede $300.

More suggestions on pickups & tremolo would be appreciated. Thanks for the forum, didn't expect to find one for such a limited guitar. I gotta YouTube Robben Ford, honestly never heard of him before... but judging by his taste in guitars, I like him already.
Phil T

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joey wrote:
I really want a tremolo on this guitar. Either the Jaguar tremolo or the Schaller tremolo that was added to this guitar at the US Fender factory. Anybody got any suggestions, I'm open for other tremolo idea's.
Something designed to fit (i.e. replace) a LP style bridge and tailpiece that just drops on would be ideal (have seen some long ago, not familiar with the Schaller), no modifications so you could reverse it type of thing. This assumes a somewhat pro patch fix to the top (personally, even if the result is noticeable, I'd get it "filled" right).
Joey wrote:
I might install a JB/Jazz in it also. At least try em out. I do like the stock, I'm just really curious if I can squeeze any more tone outta this guitar.
I have an '84 Esprit standard and have changed the pickups to standard HB type (replaced the same ones you have). This is not easy, it's doable but far from just swap out/drop in.
Joey wrote:
I like the orginal finish, would like to keep it just gotta see what a tech/finisher say can be done. Honestly want a player, not a collector. The vaule of the guitar is screwed already cause of the damage. It plays great. I'm short on cash, so don't expect a "completed" follow up any time soon as the repairs will probally excede $300.
That color is my favorite, same as mine. I would just suggest get the damage improved a bit as reasonable as possible, even if it's noticeable up close, and play it and enjoy.
Joey wrote:
I gotta YouTube Robben Ford
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUbf8FOu2ek
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8HEC5wKWW0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: