Robben Ford Discussion :: View topic - Renegade Creation
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through this link.
Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index

Robben Ford Discussion
The Official Robben Ford Discussion Group

www.RobbenFord.com
All Access Pass

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Renegade Creation
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rainmkr63

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it’s living up to my expectations. A project like this I could expect the earth to shatter, an unrealistic rapture that is imposable to achieve, so I had to reign in my insatiable expectation. I’m very happy with the results, hard to compare the music to anything else. It’s a great example of the players involved, bringing all their style and history and making a wonderful groovy rock blues disk.

I saw them in Phoenix AZ a few months ago, I just had to make the big trip and it was worth every penny. I brought my zoom H2 and got a decent recording (no I will not give it to anyone so don’t ask!). I have listened to that cheeseboot about 90 times so I was familiar with the songs, now I can hear them all clean and tidy. The sound is extraordinary and they are all on top of their game. “Destiny over me” and “Where the wind blows” are highlights for me now, but I’m sure after 50 listens my attention will expand. There is a lot going on in these tunes, a lot more creative organic effort went into this then most recordings done by artist of today.

All in all, a monumental achievement in experimental pop emotion and sound, and a disk that will stay in my rotation for a long time, just like their individual efforts.

Thanks dudes!!
Rob
Badronald

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I was at that show, so you really should give me a copy!
PierreL

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have listened to it a few times, and to be honest I am underwhelmed.
There are some nice moments, but ironically I feel it lacks some "heroic" passages guitar-wise.
But mostly, I think that Robben's style is not suited for the rockier stuff. I think he needs a more sophisticated environment to really shine, harmonically or rythmically.
I didn't expect that I would ever say that, but if I wanted some solid blues rock guitar I'd listen to Joe Bonamassa.
Maybe I had to much expectation, I was hoping that it would be more Jing Chi than it is...
gill

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: friends making music Reply with quote

i see the renecade creation as friends making music. if you had your buds over for a weekend... what music would you make.......cover different styles, play styles you make not quite fit in and have fun........ robben and michael play different style of guitar but yet make it work. getting together and going for it. music is for fun.......and expression. i try not to measure to much stuff anymore.......the tune..... peace.... is a cool tune.

so peace to all ........gill
rainmkr63

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more i listen the more it's sinking in, and the more detail i can enjoy. I also have been having fun with Kirk Fletcher new disk. Landau produced it and he has a few amazing solos and guitar work on that disk.

So much great music and so little time to enjoy it..... Neutral
masque

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just downloaded it from itunes and i got to say i like it alot. so far so good.
roadwarriorfortheblues

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robben's guitar playing on this new CD reminds me of Blue Moon. His vocal phrasing is more rockish, but he sounds like the same guitar player to me whether he plays blues, or jazz, or rock. I like all tracks, but the vocals on "Who do you think you are" are creepy (intimidating).
Ford427

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: Renegade creation Reply with quote

Just recieved my copy of this C/D and after my third run through I really like it. Reminds me of Robben of old and I find it refreshing.
A nice mix of great musicians having fun really comes through.
I hope there is more to come. Enjoy!

Nigel.
pchadwic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PierreL wrote:
I have listened to it a few times, and to be honest I am underwhelmed.
There are some nice moments, but ironically I feel it lacks some "heroic" passages guitar-wise.
But mostly, I think that Robben's style is not suited for the rockier stuff. I think he needs a more sophisticated environment to really shine, harmonically or rythmically.
I didn't expect that I would ever say that, but if I wanted some solid blues rock guitar I'd listen to Joe Bonamassa.
Maybe I had to much expectation, I was hoping that it would be more Jing Chi than it is...

Interesting—my reaction too. we have similar takes obviously; I love Robben's playing buy have always thought he plays best over more explorative stuff. Jing Chi was so great for just that reason; the grooves were unique, the song-forms encouraged stretching out and the harmony was varied and complex.

I do like Renegade Creation, but it's pretty uneven. A few really good tunes (who do you think you are comes to mind) and some fairly pedestrian rock tunes. Doesn't it sound like Landau is mixed too high? He sounds great BTW...but Robben gets buried in the mix a lot.

That said, it's great to see Robben playing in new situations! I hope to see him playing with lots of different people, and outside of the blues genre! The Scofield gig in NYC this winter is a good sign.
diatonicdude

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know of a release date for the new Renegade Creation CD? While we are at it, ditto the CD of Robben with Michael Mcdonald?

It's been a pretty long bleak winter here in the UK, and I am just looking forward to these two releases to break me out of the winter blues; both releases were rumoured to be around Spring time.

Cheers,

DD
AlChuck

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to a news item on Robben's website, the new Renegade Creation record, titled Made To Last, is tentatively scheduled for release at the end of April, 2012.

From what I understand the Robben/Michael McDonald project is not destined for a CD release but will probably show up in some form online. At the moment I can't find where I read that...
AlChuck

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, here it is:

http://www.billboard.com/news/michael-mcdonald-prepping-two-albums-1005616772.story#/news/michael-mcdonald-prepping-two-albums-1005616772.story

Somewhere else, maybe an audio interview, I recall Robben being asked about this and replying with a chuckle that the ball was in McDonald's court now, he wasn't sure when it might be available.
diatonicdude

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Al,

many thanks for ther heads up. I look forward to the Renegade C CD, and lets hope it's release is sooner rather than later.

Interesting that M Mcdonald is thinking of releasing via the the net only. As long as we can get to listen to the new music, it's fine by me!

All the best,

DD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: