Robben Ford Discussion :: View topic - Renegade Creation at Iridium
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through this link.
Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index

Robben Ford Discussion
The Official Robben Ford Discussion Group

www.RobbenFord.com
All Access Pass

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Renegade Creation at Iridium

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roadwarriorfortheblues

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:02 am    Post subject: Renegade Creation at Iridium Reply with quote

Back online after a vacation in London. I saw both shows at the Iridium on Sunday, Aug 7th. Renegade Creation is awesome !!! The band was Robben, Michael Landau, Gary Novak and Andy Hess (who filled in for Jimmy Haslip). Both shows were entirely different -- no songs were repeated. They played songs from Robben's last 4 or 5 albums as well as Michael's albums and the Renegade Creation CD. They also played a new song and some less frequently performed songs during the second show.

What I love about this band is the texture you hear with two amazing guitar players. The sound is complete -- all blossoms, no buds. Andy Hess was just as amazing. His bass was just right and he is fun to watch (as he feels the music in a visual way). Gary Novak was also fun to watch (he was working so hard his drums set fell apart and needed to be repaired mid-song during the second show). Gary plays with the dynamics, so the sound is more distinctive (I found it easy to focus in on the drum sound the same way I enjoy listening with my ears centered on the guitars or the bass).

The first show was a full house. I got to the Iridium, which is in Times Square at Broadway and 51st, a short time before doors were scheduled to open. There were a handful of diehards in line ahead of me and it was fun hearing (overhearing) their past concert stories. A couple of guys had gone to Italy to see Robben's last tour. Someone else in front of me flew in from Michigan for the show and the guy behind me was from South Florida. I've seen Robben and his various bands play in several different cities, but the clubs in New York City are my favorites (in addition to my hometown favorite, Skippers).

Iridium is a great concert club. It is an intimate listening room down in the basement and there were no obstructions of view. The food was very good and the service was excellent. I was seated about midway back on the floor and the sound was excellent. Once before (at the Bottom Line, RIP!) I sat too close to the stage and got a bad crick in my neck, so I avoid being seated at the front of the stage anymore.

The doors for the first show opened late because the band ran into travel problems coming from a gig in Canada. If there was a soundcheck, it was very brief. There was a comedy show at the club before Renegade Creation's show, so maybe there wouldn't have been much of a soundcheck or warm up anyhow.

The second show was less full, and twenty or so people stayed for both shows. The second show was more adventurous than the first in that new music, and songs that might not be played or practiced as often, were performed. It was a treat being exposed to songs that gave a feeling like they were freshly hatched.

My teenage daughter (who has different, but very good taste in music) saw the show with me and enjoyed Renegade Creation more than the other bands led by Robben. Like mother, like daughter. We both had a chance to say hi to the band in between shows.

Unfortunately, we were not able to attend the following night which was billed as Robben with the Les Paul Trio, because of our trip to London, but I was happy to have caught both shows Sunday.
PaulG

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks RWFTB! Great review. I'm glad the boys are still pumping out the energy.
Since I first heard RC, I've picked up a couple MLandau cds and am now quite a fan. Obviously different chops than RF, but the same commitment
to 'creation'.
jbear

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A live double-CD would be pretty cool.
PierreL

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool review, thanks a lot.
LongIslandRod

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that review....

I had tix for the first show but something came up and couldn't make it. Quite bummed about that.

I'd been looking or a review of the show, this is the only one around.....

What amps and guitars were they using?
roadwarriorfortheblues

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LongIslandRod wrote:
What amps and guitars were they using?

Robben played his new red SG (Sorry, I don't remember the others).

I didn't see any other reviews either.
roadwarriorfortheblues

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read on Robben's Guitar Dojo that Renegade Creation is recording new music! They were awesome live -- I'm looking forward it!

@ PaulG (re: Obviously different chops than RF, but the same commitment to 'creation')

101 % -- well said Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: