Robben Ford Discussion :: View topic - Small Blind Faith reference in Jing Chi's Live at Yoshi's
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through this link.
Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index

Robben Ford Discussion
The Official Robben Ford Discussion Group

www.RobbenFord.com
All Access Pass

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Small Blind Faith reference in Jing Chi's Live at Yoshi's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danny

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:32 am    Post subject: Small Blind Faith reference in Jing Chi's Live at Yoshi's Reply with quote

I've been sitting in the library cramming for a final for the last 2 hours, and watching that video of Robben with David Sanborn got me in kind of a funky mood, so I've been listening to Jing Chi's Live at Yoshi's. I just noticed a small Cream reference in Stan Key around 2:57, Robben kind of goes into this descending thing that turns into the intro from Had to Cry Today!

I hadn't seen this pointed out before, so I thought I would mention it because it made me smile! I don't know if Robben intended to go into that little thing or if he did and realized on the spot "Hey, that sounds kind of like Had to Cry Today"...
I seem to remember reading or hearing somewhere that when Robben first started playing publicly that he basically just copped Cream licks the entire time (something about hearing Cream on the PA before he went on, and being embarrassed to go up and basically play the same stuff!), so I thought it was funny :P
"Music is the only thing that you can share with a million million people and you don't lose, you gain. It helps you to get energy and to live long, because when your soul is very happy then you don't want to die." - Ali Akbar Khan

Last edited by Danny on Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
frank0936

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:52 am    Post subject: Cream ref Reply with quote

I noticed that, too. Like you, it brought a smile. I've always loved the way Robben throws in little quotes here and there. He used to do it a lot more, I think.
Danny

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's probably found his own voice more over the years, needing to rely less on "quotes" than before. But a small nod here and there doesn't indicate reliance by any means, if anything its more of a respect thing. I remember someone on here pointing out a nod Robben makes on Think Twice to Miles Davis..
"Music is the only thing that you can share with a million million people and you don't lose, you gain. It helps you to get energy and to live long, because when your soul is very happy then you don't want to die." - Ali Akbar Khan
AlChuck

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to point out that a quote from "Had To Cry Today" is not a Cream reference, as the song was done by Blind Faith.

Speaking of Cream, though, Clapton starts his famed "Sunshine Of Your Love" solo with the beginning of the melody to "Blue Moon," and on one of the live bootlegs I have, he quotes from the famous melody to the finale of Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture.

Quoting in solos is a time-honored thing to do... Sonny Rollins is a master of it...

Robben throws in the melody to Miles' "Jean Pierre" at least once on every album and performance, it seems sometimes. He does like that one.
Danny

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahaha whoops! Rookie move, I wasn't even paying attention...

And that's what it was, Miles' Jean Pierre! Good call...you may have been the one I read it from!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: