Robben Ford Discussion :: View topic - Robben Ford's New Pedalboard
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through this link.
Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index

Robben Ford Discussion
The Official Robben Ford Discussion Group

www.RobbenFord.com
All Access Pass

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Robben Ford's New Pedalboard
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VERTEX

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:09 am    Post subject: Robben Ford's New Pedalboard Reply with quote

Here is a pedalboard that I constructed for Robben Ford:

Robben has now moved more into using more pedals than in past and wanted to expand his rig, as well add more functionality in a package similarly sized to what he was previously using.

Here’s a picture of Robben’s original pedalboard (22" x 16”):

For the new pedalboard (25" x 17"), I integrated an amp channel switcher for Robben’s Dumble, so he would no longer have to use a footswitch off of the pedalboard to change channels on his amplifier and could save valuable space on stage.

I also introduced Robben to a few new pedals, cables, and interfacing ideas as did Michael Landau:

- Lovepedal COT 50 Lil’ China
- Tanabe Dumkudo
- Vertex Boost Prototype
- Vertex Axis Modified Wah
- Vertex Modified Volume Pedal
- Vertex Modified DL-4 Delay
- Vertex “Michael Landau” Modified Arion Chrous
- Vertex Prototype Instrument Cables

INTERFACE

Passive Input (no buffer), Stereo Outputs (left and right) with Vertex Dual Output Buffers tweaked to Robben’s taste, isolation transformer on left output to prevent any grounding when using two amplifiers together, and a polarity switch to optimize sonic performance when using two amplifiers in a stereo set up.

There is also an additional 5-pin DIN to 5-pin XLR junction in the center of the interface to allow Robben’s Dumble to be switched from the pedalboard. The pedalboard side is all 5-pin DIN at both the switcher and interface, on the outboard side the interface is all 5-pin XLR so that any 5-pin XLR. The interface is wired to accept any 5-pin DIN or XLR and the configuration for the Dumble switching is all done inside of the interface so any “off the shelf” cable could be used in an emergency with the same orientation.

POWER SUPPLY

Guitar Laboratory PB-1

SIGNAL PATH

Interface (passive), Korg Pitchblack Tuner, Lovepedal COT 50 Lil’ China, Tanabe Dumkudo, Vertex Boost (Prototype), Vox Wah (Vertex Axis Mod), Vertex Volume Pedal (modified Boss FV-500), Vertex “Michael Landau” Modified Arion Chorus (stereo), Vertex modified Line 6 DL-4 (stereo), T.C. Electronic Hall of Fame Reverb (stereo), T.C. Electronic Hall of Fame Reverb (stereo), Interface (Stereo Outputs with Vertex Dual Output Buffers, ISO transformer on left output, and a polarity switch).

*Vertex Amplifier Channel Switch is for Dumble Overdrive Special and is connected through the interface which has a 5-pin DIN to XLR pass-through).

*Wah is powered off of batteries as requested by Robben.

* Robben is now using Vertex Prototype Instrument Cables going in and out of the pedalboard (see pictures below).

* XLR Cable is wired with Belden 9540 with two leads connected to each pin to maximum durability (if one lead becomes detached or fails the cable will still function flawlessly - see pictures below).

MORE INFO: http://www.vertexeffects.com/blog/vertex_robben_ford_pedalboard
EMAIL: mason@vertexeffects.com
PHONE: 510.863.0612
The Duck Of Hellfire

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is sweet! Tight and neat. Thank you for sharing!
VanZapp

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thats a lot of tap dancing..... Smile

Nicely put together. Why is Robben using the Line 6 Delay? I'd have thought that was a bit long in the tooth. Didn't he use the TC Elecronic for Delay previously?
jconstant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, great post and pictures! Thanks!
diatonicdude

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing the photos and info!

Interesting departure from the reasonably simple plug 'n' play type set up Robben has been using for a number of years. I wonder how much influence Landau has had on Robben. He said in a recent clinic that Landau is a great player he admires, and he really marvelled at his approach to the guitar (I guess the effects play a part).

Maybe its just a catch all set up when either working solo or with Renegade Creation, etc. Has Robben explained why he has taken this direction?

Cheers,

DD
tboulette

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are these pedals affixed to the pedal board? I'm only familiar with the commercially available velcro boards, which (I've discovered) largely suck, especially with heavier pieces.
frank0936

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:02 am    Post subject: pedal board Reply with quote

Looks like at least some velcro and plywood spacer blocks to bring all the pedals up to approximately the same height? What does that board weigh?
Frank
VERTEX

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VanZapp wrote:
Nicely put together. Why is Robben using the Line 6 Delay? I'd have thought that was a bit long in the tooth. Didn't he use the TC Elecronic for Delay previously?

The modification changes the character of the pedal significantly, and was recommended this pedal by Michael Landau for running in front of the Dumble and/or backline equipment.

He had used a T.C. Electronic 2290 for some time previously.

diatonicdude wrote:
Interesting departure from the reasonably simple plug 'n' play type set up Robben has been using for a number of years. I wonder how much influence Landau has had on Robben. He said in a recent clinic that Landau is a great player he admires, and he really marvelled at his approach to the guitar (I guess the effects play a part).

Maybe its just a catch all set up when either working solo or with Renegade Creation, etc. Has Robben explained why he has taken this direction?

I would say that now it's actually much easier to plug and play, with the interface, everything is centralized in one location for all the inputs and outputs, plus the XLR changing the amp channels.

My understanding is that Robben wanted to have more variety in sounds and be able to still have all of his amp switching available on the same pedalboard. Additionally, he wanted to be able to use the rig with any amplifier, whether it was his Dumble or backline amps.

tboulette wrote:
How are these pedals affixed to the pedal board? I'm only familiar with the commercially available velcro boards, which (I've discovered) largely suck, especially with heavier pieces.

3M Dual Lock, with two different densities for maximum adhesion. The pedals are secured with about 25lbs/square inch of Dual Lock. Most pedals have anywhere between 6" to 12" of Dual Lock on both the surfaces of the pedalboard and effects pedal.

frank0936 wrote:
Looks like at least some velcro and plywood spacer blocks to bring all the pedals up to approximately the same height? What does that board weigh?

Each row is staggered, the first row switches are approximately the same height, the second row of pedals is 1" higher than the first row, and the third row of pedals are 2" above the second row of pedals.

The lifts are not ply, they are made out of a aerospace composite that's laminated with formica on both sides as is the pedalboard (but the pedalboard has an ABS bottom). The total weight of the rig when it was boxed and shipped was 24lbs. so, pedalboard itself was probably about 20lbs. as you see it in the pictures above. With the flightcase it's well under 40lbs. total.
frank0936

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:34 am    Post subject: pedal board Reply with quote

Thanks for the description. That's really nice work. I've been using the velcro stuff for my pedals and it doesn't stay on the bottom of a lot of the pedals. No glue that I have found is strong enough to keep the velcro pads stuck to the bottoms of some pedals.

Interestingly enough, a guitar mag (I think it was Premier Guitar) just had an article on pedal boards of 10 well known guitarists and several of them used the Line 6 delay. I know several pros that still use them and love them.

I see you used the G-Lab power box. I was wondering why you didn't use an off board power supply like the Godlyke Powerall or the OneSpot?

Impressive work, Vertex. Thanks again.
Frank
tboulette

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only real problem with the DL-4 was the poor quality switches, but they can be swapped out for better ones with a little know how.
frank0936

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: pedal board Reply with quote

If you go to Vertex's website, he's got several mods listed for the DL-4 and that's one of the things he does. But really do check his website. He's got some cool stuff, and if you're playing professionally - it's pretty reasonable.
Frank
VERTEX

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: pedal board Reply with quote

frank0936 wrote:
Thanks for the description. That's really nice work. I've been using the velcro stuff for my pedals and it doesn't stay on the bottom of a lot of the pedals. No glue that I have found is strong enough to keep the velcro pads stuck to the bottoms of some pedals.

Interestingly enough, a guitar mag (I think it was Premier Guitar) just had an article on pedal boards of 10 well known guitarists and several of them used the Line 6 delay. I know several pros that still use them and love them.

I see you used the G-Lab power box. I was wondering why you didn't use an off board power supply like the Godlyke Powerall or the OneSpot?

Frank

Thanks Frank!

The Dual Lock will work flawlessly, but the important thing is to let the adhesive cure for 24 hours before you start to apply other pedals to it or move things. This makes a tremendous difference in locking power.

The DL-4 sound great in front of an amp, it can be powered by batteries if necessary, and with the Vertex mods is completely reliable, and sounds significantly better.

Robben likes the G-Lab is a good supply, so are the Voodoo Lab supplies, any of these would have worked perfectly for this application. The G-Lab was preferable for Robben because it has an auto-sensing transformer and can be used in any country with any voltage without an issue.

A 1-Spot or similar wall-wart style supply is garbage, and not professional, nor reliable. They are noisy, unregulated, not isolated, and I would never use one to power an entire rig, however they are sometimes helpful for replacing an Eventide Factor-style wall-warts since they are smaller.

tboulette wrote:
Only real problem with the DL-4 was the poor quality switches, but they can be swapped out for better ones with a little know how.

This is one of the things that is replace with the modification among other things. Robben's DL-4 includes the full Vertex modifications as recommended by Michael Landau.
jconstant

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thing looks like a work of art.
frank0936

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: pedal board Reply with quote

VERTEX wrote:
frank0936 wrote:

Frank

Thanks Frank!

The Dual Lock will work flawlessly, but the important thing is to let the adhesive cure for 24 hours before you start to apply other pedals to it or move things. This makes a tremendous difference in locking power.

The DL-4 sound great in front of an amp, it can be powered by batteries if necessary, and with the Vertex mods is completely reliable, and sounds significantly better.

Robben likes the G-Lab is a good supply, so are the Voodoo Lab supplies, any of these would have worked perfectly for this application. The G-Lab was preferable for Robben because it has an auto-sensing transformer and can be used in any country with any voltage without an issue.

A 1-Spot or similar wall-wart style supply is garbage, and not professional, nor reliable. They are noisy, unregulated, not isolated, and I would never use one to power an entire rig, however they are sometimes helpful for replacing an Eventide Factor-style wall-warts since they are smaller.

tboulette wrote:

This is one of the things that is replace with the modification among other things. Robben's DL-4 includes the full Vertex modifications as recommended by Michael Landau.

Interesting opinion on the wall wart type power supplies. I've been using the Powerall for over 7 years with no noise issues and no other problems in an environment that often includes outdoor gigs in a sea air environment. I haven't tried it overseas yet, but it says it works with any voltage anywhere and has a lifetime warranty. It's currently (no pun intended) providing power for 9 effects. I don't believe it would work for the DL-4, though.
Frank
Danny

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't happen to work for Vertex do you? ;)

I was surprised as well to see a DL4 on this pedal board, and I initially mistook the Vertex sticker for a Keeley sticker, thinking it was Keeley modded!

Great post though, thanks for sharing.
"Music is the only thing that you can share with a million million people and you don't lose, you gain. It helps you to get energy and to live long, because when your soul is very happy then you don't want to die." - Ali Akbar Khan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: