Robben Ford Discussion :: View topic - How much would you pay?
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through this link.
Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index

Robben Ford Discussion
The Official Robben Ford Discussion Group

www.RobbenFord.com
All Access Pass

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How much would you pay?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill Morgan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: How much would you pay? Reply with quote

If Robben decided to sell his original RF guitar, serial #1, built by John Carruthers, how much would you pay for it? $10,000? $20,000? $30,000? It's gotta be the holy grail for a lot of us. But I'm sure it would be out of my price range.

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Bill Morgan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: No takers? Reply with quote

No one has any thoughts on the value of Robben's guitar? This is an iconic guitar that probably belongs in a Hall of Fame somewhere! Surely some of you must have an opinion on what it would be worth.

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PierreL

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest Bill, I have no clue.
diatonicdude

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,

I would sell all my worldly (music) possessions to own it + any spare cash, but unfortunately for me I do't think it would be enough.

It's a very tough one to gauge, and I guess we all would be a little over zealous with quantifing the value based on our admiration for the man and his music.

The fact is although Robben is iconic and hugely respected in the music community, he isn't recognised as being a Hendrix ("burnt" strat) or Clapton ("Blackie" strat) to the general masses so the guitar would only generate a fraction of the value of those guitars of Hendrix or Clapton. That said, I'm guessing that anyone with the cash would be willing to pay between $20K to $30K as you stated.

If Robben is thinking with parting with it we can only hope he might allow the guitar to be raffled off to all board members, and if for money, all proceedings going to charity. Cool.

DD
PierreL

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually think that his tan Dumble would generate more interest than his guitars.
diatonicdude

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PierreL wrote:
I actually think that his tan Dumble would generate more interest than his guitars.

Now that is something I would sell my shirt off my back for Wink

DD
Linville

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diatonicdude wrote:
PierreL wrote:

Now that is something I would sell my shirt off my back for Wink

DD

Agreed Exclamation
frank0936

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: how much? Reply with quote

I may be the lone dissenter, and I am wearing my flame proof underwear so here goes:
I am a musician - not anywhere near Robben's class - but a musician nonetheless. I buy guitars to play, not to hang on the wall and look at. Soooo, I wouldn't pay any more for number one than I would for a new one. I'll bet number 1 would take some work to get back in playing shape (but maybe not), and besides all that, the mojo is in the man- not the guitar.
Robben would differ with me (and has), but the great sound he gets is because of his great hands and wonderful musical background.
Bill Morgan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to own that guitar, it would make a good companion to the Red Lady, but there is no way I could spend that kind of money for a guitar. My last guitar cost $500 and I'm really enjoying it. It's not necessarily the price that makes for a good guitar. In any case, it would be interesting to see what happens if Robben did decide to sell #1.

Bill
JackD

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that guitar is the original one that Fender first made for Robben, then I actually got to play that guitar. I was at GIT and Robben was doing Friday labs. At the time, he was playing mostly his '58 dot neck (I got to play that guitar too). One day, Robben brought in this new guitar that he said Fender had made for him. We all got to check it out and Robben let me play it. That was very cool.
PaulG

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an interesting question, Bill.
I'll admit that years ago, I scoured the web, pricing out various Esprits and RF models, thinking that just might give me a lift in my playing.
Oh, if it were just that simple!
I've since bought a few nice guitars, doing justice to none of them.
So, I don't think I would go too high in the bidding, if it ever went up for sale. Although I would not question it's place in guitar history.

I would love to see Vintage Guitar magazine do an article on this guitar. Maybe they have, but now that it's been retired for the last decade or so, it might be time to look at it again.

I find it courious that no other artist I know (except Garth Webber) uses these guitars. If others did, that might increase the value.
Why do you think no one plays these?
PierreL

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the guitar which would be associated with Robben might rather be his early 60's Tele don't you think ?
AlChuck

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PierreL, the guitar they are talking about was endorsed by Robben, that's why it's associated with him in this context. If you were to talk about guitars he's played most often or for the longest time span, that Tele would probably be the one for sure.
Bill Morgan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulG wrote:
I find it courious that no other artist I know (except Garth Webber) uses these guitars. If others did, that might increase the value.
Why do you think no one plays these?

That's a good point. There were certainly a bunch of them sold. I even have a few myself. But I almost never see anybody playing one. Maybe it's because if you get up on stage with a Robben Ford guitar people may expect you to play at his level, and there's not many of us who can pull that off, Garth being the obvious exception.

Bill
PaulG

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps it's a professional 'ownership' thing. Many pros refrain from performing another artists 'signature' songs. Perhaps it's uncool to play another artists 'signature' guitar.

Still a bit sad, as those models are unique in both looks and tone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: