Robben Ford Discussion :: View topic - The elusive Mr. Dumble
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through this link.
Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index

Robben Ford Discussion
The Official Robben Ford Discussion Group

www.RobbenFord.com
All Access Pass

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The elusive Mr. Dumble
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> The Daved Zone
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zappa,

I would expect Mr. Dumble to tell you that Andy Fuchs is Satan. Don't believe him, I know Andy and he is a great guy Smile I would not waste my time with the email.

Btw, the Bruno U30 is a great amp, but not "Dumbleish". It is a saggy chimey vox type.

The Super100 is Bruno's Dumbleish amp.

If I were you, I would only consider the Fuchs or the Two Rock. There are a couple of Two Rocks that would do it. Maybe a Custom Reverb or Emerald pro.

The new Fuchs is UNLIKE the Fuchs you have heard. There are constant revisions and the latest revisions are out of this world.

Also, Andy mods old Fenders, Traynors, and Music Mans. You could have a full blown Fuchs for well less that 1000 pounds, including donor amp. 95% the tone for real cheap!

Refer to my soundclips in the "Dumble-esque" thread below us.

Thanks!

Scott
HHB

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree w/ Scott, there's no real reason the even think about Dumble, it's Ford that sounds good not the amp. Chet Atkins would get mad at people who told him his guitar sounded good, he would quit playing and ask "how does it sound now ?"
Zappa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree with the "Its in the hands" theory. I'm just looking for that "Sparkle" which as yet, I've not found. Though I'm getting more into the Fuchs by the minute and scottl has nudged me a little bit nearer. Smile
Aeolian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend (may be on this board but I don't recognize his handle) who is an Electronics Engineer and who builds tube amps on the side for a hobby, trying to perfect the blackface. He has great hands and can wring all kinds of great sounds out of whatever he is playing, but prefers small blackface Fenders and Teles. When he heard my Fuchs his first words were that "it would be 'silly' to spend any more on an amplifier". If you can't do it with one of these, it ain't the amp. The differences left over are a subtle as different brands of plain strings. A couple of posts have mentioned techniques that are part of Robben's tone production if you are after that particular sound. What I like about these tools are that they will let you mimic Robben, Larry or whatever, or some blending of it all that is your own voice.
marinblues

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either I am not too fussy about amps or I have found my holy grail....I have this german 12" Engl Screamer Combo 50 and I pretty much pull out all the sounds I need. If I can't pull out a sound, it typically me and not the amp which is the problem.

I wanted a twin, which is fine by me, but it had no gain and weighed a ton.

I'll never sound like Robben, because:

- I don't know if I really want to (praise to individuality!)
- I am not Robben

marin

________
Ios Games

Last edited by marinblues on Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
bluesman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:00 am    Post subject: Dumble in the box Reply with quote

Oh yes! "Its in the hands" , well "in the brain" actually. Signature sound comes from the heart not from the amp, but obviously good gear helps. Once Robben mentioned in one of his videos: "important is what works FOR YOU". For me the Koch MULTITONE 2x12 worked the best (better than Dizel, Bruno, Rivera, Mesa, Soldano, Crate and Marshall) and now little (not really little, it's enormous) "Dumble in the pocket" - Koch PEDALTONE. Take your sound everywhere, switch in any amp or board and still get the great sound (BTW I'm not advertising here, I just love the sound).
Here are some short demo Mp3s. Modified Pedaltone with different amps or straight to the board. Guitar is the GIBSON L6S scalloped and heavily modified by your humble servant.

Koch in the Peavey Delta blues's fx return - http://www.drika.biz/Bro.mp3

Koch in the Crate GFX (transistor) amp - http://www.drika.biz/IkAnd.mp3

Koch streat to the recording board - http://www.drika.biz/grap.mp3

Koch in the Koch Multitone fx return - http://www.drika.biz/losolo.mp3

Enjoy
scottl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluesman,

Excellent clips! The Koch tone is great. More a smooth rockin' lead tone than a spongy Dumble tone, but I love it! Richie Hallebeek has one and sounds great as well!

As a side note, regarding tone and fingers, here is a clip of Scott Jones and I that appeared as a bonus track on his CD. I am the 2nd and closing solo. This tone is my AC Booster into POD XT, direct into computer! Not bad for no amp or speaker, I think.

http://www.scottlernermusic.com/music/JonesLernerSecondCollab1.mp3

Somehow, I always sound like me!

Scott
Ian Hurtt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scottl,

Does Andy's new voicing on the Fuchs amps also apply to his mods? I have a modded DRRI, and might be interested in an upgrade if it's available.

Ian
bluesman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scott, Very Happy
sounds great! that once again proves importance of the player not the gear. I guess acoustic guitarists are the best example. I've heard Richie Hallebeek on "The Alchemists" album and really enjoyed the music.
Best wishes
Bluesman
Zappa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm. I've just got back from a shop in Manchester and tried a Cornford amp which was nothing like what I was looking for, but it was great. I need to get away from EL34's (I've got Marshall indigestion).

I now have a list which goes

1). Dumble - Highly unlikely but I still dream about owning one,
2). Fuchs - Every man and his dog likes this amp
3). Bruno (Underground 30), not quite the same as the above two but a lovely sounding amp
4). Two Rock - Hmmm, Im not sold on the sound clips, but its in here on recommendation, gotta try one of these
5). Bogner Metropolis - Again, not quite what the Dumbley amps can do but an interesting amp.

I'll keep you guys posted. By the way....if you see one over in the states, just try a Cornford Hellcat......Great amp.

Last edited by Zappa on Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:09 am; edited 1 time in total
RockinRob

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zappa wrote:
The Skrydstrup does indeed sound a nice amp, as do the Fuchs and Bruno amps. I'm going to try the Fuchs out soon, my friend in Manchester has one so I'll drive up to his and annoy his neighbours.

As far as I know there have only been a few Fuchs amps in the UK. The first was brought in by a friend of mine and was an early production ODS50. The next two were brought in by me, first a modded Twin Reverb chassis and the second a modded Bassman 50 chassis. I think the early production ODS50 has left the country, I still have the modded Twin Reverb and the Bassman I sold to a guy locally. I know a guy in Scotland who has a modded amp and he's getting another, but he's never sold any. So, your friend and the guy I sold mine to must be one and the same. It was originally in a head box but he had MATAMP build him a 1x12 combo box for it. Indeed I have since put my amp into a combo, here's a pic of it.

Cheers,
Rob.

---------------------------------------------------
Zappa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks really nice Rob. I popped my head in at Sounds Great yesterday and saw the Bad Cat Cub that they have there that looked great, but I always feel uncomfortable in there so I didnt play it.

That would be mad if the amp my mate (Paul) has got is indeed the same one that you had. I've not seen him for a bit, and I'm going of second hand info, so I hope he A) has one and B) Still owns it.
RockinRob

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Yes the guy I sold it too was called Paul, I know him quite well and we've traded a number of amps with each other, must be the same guy. I believe he still has it. The reason I sold the 50w was that there is just something about the 100's which the 50's just can't get. I know the 50's drive nicely on the clean and all that but the 100's have that something else, depth, power, I don't know. Anyway, the 50 was a great amp and Paul adores it.
My 100 goes out with me all the time and with the Celestion Century Vintage speakers it's quite a portable package.

Cheers,
Rob.
RockinRob

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a pic of Pauls amp before I sold it and it went into the combo.

Rob.
Zappa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, this is getting quite interesting.

Has anyone got any opinions on these amps;

Maven Peal
Guytron
Demeter

I cant play one over here.....Shop owners look at you like you have two heads when you mention these amps.

Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> The Daved Zone All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: