Robben Ford Discussion :: View topic - Running Ads on the Site - Could use some help!
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through this link.
Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index

Robben Ford Discussion
The Official Robben Ford Discussion Group

www.RobbenFord.com
All Access Pass

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Running Ads on the Site - Could use some help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> What's New and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirk95
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:11 pm    Post subject: Running Ads on the Site - Could use some help! Reply with quote

Hello Everybody!

I just wanted to give everybody a quick update on what I have been working on. I have been experimenting this month with serving ads to all my boards.

The Robben Ford Discussion Group:
www.online-discussion.com/RobbenFord
• 470 members
• 60,000 pageviews/month

The Scott Henderson Discussion Group:
www.online-discussion.com/ScottHenderson
• 136 members
• 40,000 pageviews/month

The Michael Landau Discussion Group:
www.online-discussion.com/MikeLandau
• 33 members
• 8,000 pageviews/month

The Two Rock Discussion Group:
www.dhenderson.com/TwoRock
•179 members
•40,000 pageviews/month

Basically, the donation idea just doesn’t generate enough revenue. I want to thank everybody who contributed, but it’s just not enough to support the time, effort and expenses for running these sites.

So I wanted to test the validity of running ads on the Forums. And guess what???? The ads are performing exceptionally well! – like 5x to 15x the Internet average. This is a very focused highly targeted audience of music and gear aficionados. We buy a lot of music merchandise each year. That’s an extremely attractive audience to certain advertisers – amps, guitars, cds, music books, concert tickets, etc.

My feeling about ads has always been, if the ads are for products I am interested in then I actually like them. Where can I go see a Baker ad or a Two Rock ad or a Robben CD ad… that’s cool to me! I hope it can be for you guys too.

So now that I have ads, I need to sell those ads! Besides running these sites, adding new features, creating banners, attracting new users, reading and moderating all the forums and having some basic form of a life offline…..hehehehehehe, things are starting to get a little crazy.

But I think it’s worth it! - promoting the artists and music that I love and helping to expose that music to a broader audience! Let’s face the artist’s are not going to do it and the record companies don’t do it for these artists!! Scott Henderson can’t afford to tour in the US. This is ridiculous!!!

So I don’t know. Maybe there is a business here and maybe not. But I am willing to give it a shot! Maybe there are new services we can create to help artists make more money and provide more content for us the fans!

Wanna HELP?
I could really use some help with Ad Sales right now! Like I said the ads have been doing really well and are micro targeted. So if anybody wants to help the cause and help sell some ads into the Network, please shoot me an email kirk95@mailblocks.com. I ‘ll be glad to pay a commission for your efforts. Email me if you are interested.

That’s the scoop!

The good news is we keep growing stronger and stronger as a community! I want to keep building on this and build it into something even bigger! I think WE CAN!

Thank you everybody! Please keep coming back!

Kirk Out!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
telefunk1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all due respect to kirk and the effort he has put into this discussion board, I am having some problems with this whole thing. These are my 2 cents here, so take them for what they are.

First, I visit this site to talk/read about music, mainly RF's stuff, and related issues. I do not really care about Henderson and Landau (no offense just not my cup o tea) and find it a little weird to see them advertised here. Second, RF does not use Two Rock amps and the ads for them may suggest sponsorship that does not exist. Third, all these guys are adults and make their own choices. If they choose not to run their own forums or discussion groups, so be it. You are free to choose to pick up the slack as you see fit but then are responisble for any burden that falls on you financially or otherwise. Robben must not care too much about this whole thing or else he, or Dal, would have updated the "Message" link on his web site - since Blue Moon is not his most recent release, right?

Basically, kirk, this is your site and you can do what you want with it, but these are your decisions and if you want to turn it into a business and it costs you money and "quality of life" you have no one but yourself to blame. Capitalism works this way, right? I wish you well with this, but I, for one, would prefer a simpler approach because as always it is about the music.
kirk95
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks for the honest feedback... I appreciate it!

Like I said I just testing out a lot new concepts and your feedback helps a ton.

I hope more members chime in!

Thanks,
Kirk Out!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
kirk95
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, what other artists do you care about?
JohnnyZ

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ads don't bother me since they're not popping up uncontrollably and blocking my view. In fact, I enjoy some of them. For instance, the Black Creek ads for Baker Guitars caught my interest, and I now have new guitar fever which could render me about $3.3K poorer. Smile The Wildwood Guitar site has lots of awesome "eye candy" too. I would've never found these sites on my own...

JMHO.
JohnnyZ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks for helping Reply with quote

kim_wong wrote:
Thanks for helping me with JobQueen and China Sales Reps. I'm with them 2 month now and they, thanks god, really pay. I'm already getting more than 5000 per month and looking for more coworkers. If you change your mind let me know. You can use my promotion code to sign in. mailto:kimwongshu@yahoo.com

THIS MUST BE STOPPED.
BlueRunner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Actually, the ads are sort of cool. I ignore them when I'm busy, and click 'em when I'm curious. Of course, like Johnny Z, some of the ads make me wish I could come across an extra $3.3K, maybe lying in the washing machine 'cause I left it in a pocket.

Kirk -- a question: If I click on the Amazon link, do they know? Or do you get financial props only if I buy something? I generally hit the link on this BB, rather than going there directly, hoping you get noticed.

And thanks for all of the great work. This really is a fun community, and over the past few years I've met amazing people, and learned about amazing concerts, that I would otherwise have missed.
kirk95
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks for helping Reply with quote

JohnnyZ wrote:
kim_wong wrote:
Thanks for helping me with JobQueen and China Sales Reps. I'm with them 2 month now and they, thanks god, really pay. I'm already getting more than 5000 per month and looking for more coworkers. If you change your mind let me know. You can use my promotion code to sign in. mailto:kimwongshu@yahoo.com

THIS MUST BE STOPPED.

Stopped and deleted... Very Happy
kirk95
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlueRunner wrote:
Cool Actually, the ads are sort of cool. I ignore them when I'm busy, and click 'em when I'm curious. Of course, like Johnny Z, some of the ads make me wish I could come across an extra $3.3K, maybe lying in the washing machine 'cause I left it in a pocket.

Kirk -- a question: If I click on the Amazon link, do they know? Or do you get financial props only if I buy something? I generally hit the link on this BB, rather than going there directly, hoping you get noticed.

And thanks for all of the great work. This really is a fun community, and over the past few years I've met amazing people, and learned about amazing concerts, that I would otherwise have missed.

Yes, if you click on that Amazon link and buy something we get a small commission for the sale. If you want more info about how this works go here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html/002-4596942-1504027?node=3435371

It's what's called an affiliate program - Amazon calls it Associates.
Bluelobster

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 2:22 am    Post subject: Chimin'in Reply with quote

telefunk1 wrote:
With all due respect to kirk and the effort he has put into this discussion board, I am having some problems with this whole thing. These are my 2 cents here, so take them for what they are.

First, I visit this site to talk/read about music, mainly RF's stuff, and related issues. I do not really care about Henderson and Landau (no offense just not my cup o tea) and find it a little weird to see them advertised here. Second, RF does not use Two Rock amps and the ads for them may suggest sponsorship that does not exist. Third, all these guys are adults and make their own choices. If they choose not to run their own forums or discussion groups, so be it. You are free to choose to pick up the slack as you see fit but then are responisble for any burden that falls on you financially or otherwise. Robben must not care too much about this whole thing or else he, or Dal, would have updated the "Message" link on his web site - since Blue Moon is not his most recent release, right?

Basically, kirk, this is your site and you can do what you want with it, but these are your decisions and if you want to turn it into a business and it costs you money and "quality of life" you have no one but yourself to blame. Capitalism works this way, right? I wish you well with this, but I, for one, would prefer a simpler approach because as always it is about the music.

Let's just assume that i can't read,write & speak english : Telefunk would be my perfect personnal translator.
frank0936

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 6:37 am    Post subject: ads Reply with quote

I don't mind the ads. They do not destract me or detract from the fun I have on this board. I use the Amazon link on this page whenever I can. I did not think that the ads implied sponsorship by Robben or anyone else for that matter. They're just ads and a necessary evil here as everywhere else. I appreciate the time and effort that the Captain has put into making this a site that I enjoy using almost every day - several times a day. As for whether or not Robben cares about this forum and the whole web concept - well, that's for Robben to decide. I'd really rather he just kept concentrating on his music and let us enjoy that. Kirk, I enjoy this board and I appreciate your efforts.
Thanks,
Frank
Bill Morgan

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: ads Reply with quote

I have no problem at all with the ads, and if they help to keep this forum up and running, then I'm all for them.

Keep up the good work Captain, and I hope things continue to go well for you.

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
yeoyeo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am amazed by the way you have explained things in this article. This article is quite interesting and I am looking forward to reading more of your posts. Thanks for sharing this article with us. grand rapids kitchen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> What's New and Suggestions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: