Robben Ford Discussion :: View topic - robben chord charts
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through this link.
Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index

Robben Ford Discussion
The Official Robben Ford Discussion Group

www.RobbenFord.com
All Access Pass

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

robben chord charts
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevemax

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:55 pm    Post subject: robben chord charts Reply with quote

does anyone know of a site where i can get the chord changes to robbens tunes, especially his version of " i ain't got nothin but the blues". i know i should be able to just figure it out, but really i am a drummer and i would rather spend the time working on my drum chops. i like that version and would like to be able to play it with robbens chords. thanks steve
Aeolian

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ain't Got Nothing But The Blues is gone though in the Blues And Beyond instructional tape. There are some weird chords in there. Watching Robben play them is the easiest way to get it.
stevemax

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:47 am    Post subject: robben chord chart Reply with quote

thanks for the reply. when you say "ain't got nothin but the blues" is gone, where is it gone from, there certainly are other tunes of robbens that i would like to get a chord chart of. if you know of a good site(s) that has such things, i would be grateful to know about that. tablature would be ok but my preference would be an actual chart w'grid that shows his voicings, i'm probably asking a bit much but sometimes those things are out there. robben's chord voicings are so lush and yet to the point. he has a great voice in his music vocally and instrumentally. 'supernatural' is my favorite to date. thanks again, steve
kirk95
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we should start a transcriptions section on the site. Members can post chord charts and transcriptions? We'll build a members Robben song book.

What do you think?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jconstant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirk95 wrote:
I think we should start a transcriptions section on the site. Members can post chord charts and transcriptions? We'll build a members Robben song book.

What do you think?

I second that motion, Captain!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Aeolian

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: robben chord chart Reply with quote

stevemax wrote:
thanks for the reply. when you say "ain't got nothin but the blues" is gone, where is it gone from, there certainly are other tunes of robbens that i would like to get a chord chart of. if you know of a good site(s) that has such things, i would be grateful to know about that. tablature would be ok but my preference would be an actual chart w'grid that shows his voicings, i'm probably asking a bit much but sometimes those things are out there. robben's chord voicings are so lush and yet to the point. he has a great voice in his music vocally and instrumentally. 'supernatural' is my favorite to date. thanks again, steve

Opp's, Sorry. When I said "gone through", what I meant is that in the instructional tape he "goes through" or explains the voicings he uses.

This is in Bb and there's a really cool altered chord that he does after the Gm that he uses two different fingerings of in the tape. The first sounds more like the record to me. This is a great tape (I think it's on DVD now too) and would be strongly recommended if you want to learn some of those "Robbenish" chord things. Or you can do like Robben and spend several years with the Mickey Baker chord books. Cool
JoeB63

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a transcription book of the Supernatural CD. I bought it a Guitar Center a few years ago. I'm sure you can find it on Amazon.
stevemax

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:43 pm    Post subject: robben transcriptions Reply with quote

that would be cool to have robben charts available, and w voicings, that would be over the top. i will definitely look for that transcription book of supernatural. great tunes. the string quartet pieces are gorgeous. his blues roots are so strong and then there is this soulful sophistication that rounds it all out so nicely. that album is a classic for me. what a cool site this is, you guys are super helpful. thanks s.r.

ps. aeolian i misread your email i thought it said 'gone though'. clearly you said "gone through". i went to the store but that book isn't in stock so i will order online. thanks again.
jconstant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are also the following excellent transcription books:

Blues Collection (combo of the first Blue Line CD and Mystic Mile)
Tiger Walk
Handful of Blues

I'm hoping for a Blue Moon transcription book in the future.
bbqbob

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 1:26 pm    Post subject: Blue Moon book Reply with quote

I'll second that one! I mistakenly thought there was one for a while when the CD came out, but alas, no. I think we would have seen it by now along with a "Running" one. BTW, all those DVD's/video are stunning for those that do not have them They show up often on eBay and other places. You playing level doesn't matter, you'll get something out of them.

Still grinnin' from the Beantown shows
bbq-bob
russ

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would seriously recommend to any player of just about any level to work through the tunes contained on the VHS/DVD "Blues And Beyond". There is so much info packed in this - composition, chord voicings, soloing material. Well worth every penny!

http://www.russletson.com
335clone

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bb7 / F7(#9)(#5) / | Bb7 / Am7(11) D7(#9) | Gm7 / Gm9(11) C13 (#11) | Gm9(11) / Gdim Dbdim7 | Cm7 Dm7(#5) Ebmaj7 Edim7 | Eb/F / F7(#9)(#5) / | Bb7 Dm7(#5) Eb9 Edim7 | Bb/F / F7(#9) (#5) / | Bb7 / F7(#9)(#5) / | Bb7 / Am7(11) Ab7(#11) | Gm9 / C9 (#11) / | Gm7 / Gdim Dbdim7 | Cm7 Dm7(#5) Eb Edim7 | Eb/F / F7 (#9)(#5) / | Bb7 Bb7(VIII) Eb9(VIII) Edim | Bb9(XIII) / Eb13 Eb9 | D9 / Em7 / | Fdim7 / D/F# / | G7 / / / | G7 / / / | Gm7 / C13 (#11) / | Gm7 / C13(#11) / | Cm7 Dm7(#5) Ebmaj7 Edim7 | Eb/F / F7 (#9)(#5) | Bb9(I) / F7(b13) / | Bb9(I) / Am7(11) D7(#9) | Gm7 / C13(#11) / | F/G / Dbdim Bbdim | Cm7 Dm7(#5) Eb Edim7 | Eb/F / F7 (#9)(#5) / | Bb7 Dm7(#5) Eb7 Edim7 | BbF / F7(#9)(#5) / | Bb7 ///

Hi, this is my first post here. Hope this helps. I had saved this from another site a while back, but have not gotten very far into it yet. I just bought the blues and beyond DVD for a friend, and received the Blues CD/book and the RF & BL official bootleg CD for a gift. I hope to work through both in the coming months, and I'm sure I'll be asking a lot of questions.
bob mc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:41 am    Post subject: Please excuse if this is a violation Reply with quote

but I am trying to sell my RF TAB books and instructionals; no details until I know it's cool.
Zitcool?
BlueRunner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Lawyer-guitarist speaking here: If you're listening to Robben or watching him live or on DVD and you figure out his chords and fingering and post it, that's OK. If you go through his books or DVDs and learn the stuff and post your own explanation here, that's OK too. And if you refer other members to Robben's publications, that's even more OK. But when posting chord charts or transcriptions, please don't post photocopies or electronic copies of any of Robben's written stuff from his books or from the booklets that come from the DVDs, or images from the DVDs themselves. That's getting into copyright violation. Or to put it another way, Robben doesn't drive a Solid Gold Cadillac (it's actually an older-model Acura sedan) or live in a Great Big Mansion (it's a modest home in a nice neighborhood), so if you have enough money and a choice between (a) someone else passing on info to you, (b) buying a book or DVD on eBay, or (c) buying something new from a dealer who passes the royalties back to Robben, choose (c).
nineacres

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting back what the Captain said (sorry if I jump in here - the previous posts have been extremely interesting, but I'd just like to catch Kirk's attention here) - the idea of building up a Robben songbook is something this board should have. And - who knows if RF could be cajoled into proof-reading them for us. Oh well, just an idea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: