Robben Ford Discussion :: View topic - Martin Scorsese - The Blues on PBS
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through this link.
Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index

Robben Ford Discussion
The Official Robben Ford Discussion Group

www.RobbenFord.com
All Access Pass

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Martin Scorsese - The Blues on PBS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirk95
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 11:27 am    Post subject: Martin Scorsese - The Blues on PBS Reply with quote

Are you guys watching this! It is just awesome!

The story of the Blues is one of the great stories of our time and in history. Just think how the blues over the past 100 years has influenced our culture and our music. It's amazing!

Consequently, I have been listening to a lot of delta blues the last few days.

Skip James
Blind Willie Johnson
Charlie Patton
Blind Lemon Jefferson

Incredibly intense music...it's so spiritual!!

Also got turned on to J.B. Lenoir...wow what a talent. A black man from the south in 60's writing about social issues.

Skip James records and then disappears for 31 years and then does a gig at the Newport Folk Festival. What a story!

BB King talking about playing the Filmore West in the late 60's to his first white audience and getting standing ovations. Watching him tell that story with tears in his eyes...extremely moving.

Great stuff!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
roadwarriorfortheblues

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 6:13 am    Post subject: I'm Glued to The Blues Reply with quote

David, I've been watching this series every night too. I enjoyed Scorsese's own film, "Feel Like Going Home" very much. I thought Corey Harris did a great job interviewing the last of the living originators of Delta Blues. The Robert Johnson story was fascinating too. I'd like to get his biography. Recently, I acquired a similar documentary on cd called "Straight from the Delta" by Rex Miller, which includes field recordings, photographs and interviews with nine Delta artists. This one is not connected in any way to the Scorsese stuff, but it's worth checking out if you are interested in authentic Delta Blues.

I have mixed feelings about "Soul of a Man," the film about Skip James, Blind Willie Johnson and JB Lenoir. It had a great story line, but the musicians Wenders' tapped to re-create their music were strange picks, in my opinion. The Skip James original recordings were great; I like his style a lot. And I love the JB Lenoir stuff... especially his "Don't Dog Your Woman."

What was shaking with "Road to Memphis" ? Laughing I wonder if she'll be shaking it in Ft. Lauderdale with Bobby Rush later this month? The interviews with BB King were great... he is the coolest and will always be!

On "Warming by the Devil's Fire," I can relate to the main character's passion for the Blues. His bedroom (stacks of records everywhere, newspaper clippings and concert posters all over the walls) looks like my place ! The music on this film was great too.

I loved last night's show on Chess Records, "Godfathers and Sons." Did you see Mike Bloomfield ? I'm still trying to figure out what he meant by, "If he was a planaria... a tuna fish sandwich, he would be there." He was talking about Paul Butterfield. I think he was trying to say that Paul Butterfield is THE MAN ! Can anybody translate this Bloomfield-ism for me? I was not familiar with Chuck D before last night, is that cd with Electric Mud on the market yet? Also, who was the vocalist in the studio session? Nice voice.

Tonight's film, "Red, White & Blues" will feature music by Jeff Beck, Miles Davis, Spencer Davis Group, Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac, Cream, John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, and more. It's supposed to be the most musician-friendly film in the series. I'll be tuned in ! Smile
jconstant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 9:26 am    Post subject: J.B. Lenoir Reply with quote

If I'm not mistaken, isn't Talk to Your Daughter a J.B. Lenoir song?

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Daved
Robben Connection

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 10:41 am    Post subject: BB's Blues Reply with quote

<< BB King talking about playing the Filmore West in the late 60's to his first white audience and getting standing ovations. >>
I've watched bits & pieces of this show. Isn't PBS grand? I watch it all the time. And, on the radio, NPR is a 'must' to have programmed into your station select buttons.
I didn't see this particular segment but was intrigued to hear of it as I've never forgotten that the very first time I ever saw BB was during my hippy days in the late 60's at the Filmore. I was a semi-regular attendee of the Filmore (and the Avalon, and the Longshoreman's, and the Carousel Ballroom, and Winterland, etc.) back then.

A quick, slightly related, aside at this point:
Sorry, but I simply MUST tell this tale here, as I consider it a major crossroad in the story of my life.
Thanksgiving Day, 1988: my first international tour with the Dan Reed Network.
We had just closed out the Euro leg of our tour with a show at the Marquee in London on November 25th, but our flight home wasn't scheduled till the day after Thanksgiving. So, Bill Graham took us all out to a carte blanche dinner, by wining & dining us at a fancy French restaurant, a favorite of Bill's, and then picking up the tab.

When dinner was over we started piling into a couple of cabs out front, to return to our hotel. Bill and I were the last to board and we were coming up one seat short, so everyone was calling for another cab.
I then spoke up, saying, "Hey, don't worry about it. I know where the hotel is & it's not far. It's a cool night and I am dressed warmly. I think I'll just walk back as this is my first trip to London, the realization of a lifelong dream, and who knows if I'll ever be coming back. So, I think I'd like to spend my last night here wandering around for awhile."

Bill was thoughtful for a moment and then said, "You know, Daved, it IS a very nice evening and I could do with a walk myself. Do you mind if I join you?"
"Bill," I told him, "I would be honored to have you accompany me."

What followed was 2 delightful hours of one of the most magical nights of my life as Bill Graham and I walked Hyde Park and the nearby night streets, past the Royal Albert Hall and Kensington Palace, chatting & bonding.
We remained friends till he died. (About which I have another poignent tale of the last time I saw Bill alive, reflecting what I consider to be the essence of Bill's personallity.... but I will save that for another, more apropos, time.)
In our conversations that night, among many other wonderful things, Bill instilled & reflected a sense of personal confidence and pride in me. Bill was a hero to me and now he was a friend.... tell me, how cool was that?!?! A purely once in a lifetime event.... constructively & positively, shaping my life ever since.

Now, to tie this story in with the bulk of this post....
I remember being so glad that evening to have the opportunity to personally tell Bill, referring to the scene & concert houses he had established so long ago, that in some small way I almost considered him a father for having given me a safe haven and healthy environment to escape to during my unstable street days as a "radical youth" in S.F.

Humbly sincere, he was very respectfully appreciative of my comments and praise.
Bill Graham really was a truly mighty man.... one of a kind.

Back to topic:
I had, of course, heard of BB, but was totally unfamiliar with him and his music. I went to the Filmore that night to see other Psych/Rock bands and was going to "put up with" this BB guy till the groups I had actually come to hear played.

I ended up blown away, as were all the other freaks in the audience, and do remember a standing ovation (me included) on the night I saw him. This may not have been the same night BB spoke of in the interview. I really don't know if it was his first show there, or a later one, but that night made me a new listener and fan of both BB & the blues.

But then, that was one of the most wonderful aspects of the environment Bill Graham constructed.... exposure to the many varied facets of entertainment and music in particular. Thru Bill's special insight, audiences of all ages opened their doors and began to respectfully learn of the pleasures & benefits of ALL types of music.

"This boy's diseased with rhythm!" -Bing Crosby (Road To Rio, '49)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: