Robben Ford Discussion :: View topic - Robben's 2 Dumbles - what is the difference?
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through this link.
Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index

Robben Ford Discussion
The Official Robben Ford Discussion Group

www.RobbenFord.com
All Access Pass

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Robben's 2 Dumbles - what is the difference?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> The Daved Zone
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirk95
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 11:41 am    Post subject: Robben's 2 Dumbles - what is the difference? Reply with quote

Robben has the two basic rigs.

Dumble Head
2x12 Cab
TC2290

Dumble Combo 1x12
TC2290

What are the differences between the Dumbles? Was Robben looking for something different tonewise with the combo? I often hear that the combo doesn't have the same singing lead tones as the head?

Speaker questions:
What is Robben using for speakers these days?
What are the dimensions of his 2x12 cab? Was that built special for Robben?

Question
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Daved
Robben Connection

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Robben's 2 Dumbles - what is the difference? Reply with quote

kirk95 wrote:
Robben has the two basic rigs.
What are the differences between the Dumbles? Was Robben looking for something different tonewise with the combo?
Speaker questions:
What is Robben using for speakers these days?

David,
Haven't been ignoring you on this post, I imagine this is something a lot of techheads are interested in, just hadn't gotten around to it yet (along with a few other members gear questions that I will hopefully get to soon).

I will be addressing this subject in depth in the near future in the new "Gear" department on my site. I'll let you know when I do so.

For now, the quick answers are:
- There are very little differences between the amps themselves. The combo was made from Robben's old back up rig, whose differences are minor & mostly mechanical.

- Tone wise, Robben & Alexander say the ampheads are identical. Robben, and I, were looking for portability when we had the combo built.

- Alexander has had the O/D head at his place for the last 2 weeks making some "cosmetic" changes that Robben has desired for awhile, the most obvious being it's color. I pick it up tommorrow and will fill you all in soon.

- Speakers are still in flux. I will address this and your other questions soon at the RF Pass.

"This boy's diseased with rhythm!" -Bing Crosby (Road To Rio, '49)
johan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Daved,

That's a good start Wink Thanks!
We all wanna hear the nitty-gritty on the mighty Dumbles.

On the last tour there were lots of talk on the internet (we all know how that can be) , PRS Forum in particular, regarding Robbens "new" combo. People who loved his tones felt it was all gone and something was lacking. Thin, buzzy and bright was the word I heard. Unfortunately I missed that tour (first time since the first Blue Line CD) so I'm not sure how it sounded. Guess this is not how Robben felt?! Is the amp tweaked by Mr Dumble every now or then or is it just tubes/speakers change from now on?

Regarding speakers, we heard about the old Celestion G12-65 he was so fond of. The kept blowing up with the 100W head. I know Celestion has re-released them but I guess that won't make much difference. Also heard they won't sound the same as the old ones (maybe needs time to break in). Weber VST on the other hand has made it's version of the 65 as well. Ted W makes them 4, 8 or 16 ohm versions. Have you tried those? You can get them with AlNiCo or ceramic magnet for different feel. Give Ted a call if you haven't tried them. May be worth a try. http://www.webervst.com/store/v12.htm

See you in Copenhagen Daved! Will be my 8th gig I think. It's always a blast. Take care and have great tour. Cool

// johan
Daved
Robben Connection

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johan wrote:
On the last tour there were lots of talk on the internet (we all know how that can be) , PRS Forum in particular, regarding Robbens "new" combo. People who loved his tones felt it was all gone and something was lacking. Thin, buzzy and bright was the word I heard. Unfortunately I missed that tour (first time since the first Blue Line CD) so I'm not sure how it sounded. Guess this is not how Robben felt?! Is the amp tweaked by Mr Dumble every now or then or is it just tubes/speakers change from now on?

Hmmm.... that's interesting. Most of the feedback we've ever gotten was how good the combo sounded.

We've never had a "buzzy" problem with it. Bright could be possible, but no more so than the 2-12 setup which can also seem very bright, particularly if you set yourself directly in front of it as a lot of fans insist on doing. The combo IS more directional than the 2-12 setup and placing yourself directly in the line of fire is pure masochism if you ask me. Personally, I would much rather sit off center and give the tone a chance to "breathe" within the room.

There is only one time I can think of where a "thin" criticism would be rightly applicable and that was briefly at the beginning of the combo's first Euro tour when we used it in conjunction with a Fender Twin and could not get it to sound right, till we discovered that when the setup was wired correctly, the Twin amp itself was built out of phase with the Dumble. I compensated for that and then Robben was quite happy with his sound. But over time, Robben has remained happy with the overall sound and performance of his combo. And any guest musicians who use it are consistently delighted with it.

I take both amps to Alexander regularly, who plays them himself and then runs them thru a battery of tests and then tweaks whatever needs to be tweaked, tests them again and then plays them again, till he gives them a final approval.

Robben has tried the new Celestion 65's and didn't like them. The low end was missing. The Celestion 100's were the ones Robben liked in the combo, but they kept imploding on us. Currently we've been using Celestion 75's for his 2-12 and a specially modified Eminence in the Combo.

edpesco

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sound very much depends on where you are in the room.
I remember Morning Paris 2001 where I almost died so good was the sound in the audience behind the dance floor and when I whatch the tv broadcast there is nothing like it, it's a good sound on the broadcast but you miss that fat bass-end that I enjoyed there. Can you tell me what happened to the first half hour of that gig? it was not broadcasted but it was magic.
Edmund
HHB

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, how loud does Robben typicly play? I suffer from the " turn it down " message from the club manager alot, so much that I'll gig w/ a 15 watt amp and still they want it lower, something I'm sure RF does'nt have to go through. How much of his rich vocal tone is volume dependant? HHB
Daved
Robben Connection

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robben is quite loud and he knows it. He wishes he could be quieter, but there is a threshold that he needs to exceed to get the response he wants.

We do what we can to accomodate band mates (baffles/gobos), the venue (the volume knob to a limited point), and the audience (angling the amp away/earplugs), but there is only so much we can do.

kirk95
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that is a guitar player thing. I always get the turn it down..for the last 31 years.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
edpesco

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirk95 wrote:
I think that is a guitar player thing. I always get the turn it down..for the last 31 years.

Same to me. Using the THD hotplate (power soak) works quite well but you must get used to not beeing physically loud enough.
Leftbender

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Turn It Down!" usualy comes from folks who have other priorities then making a good guitar sound! For instance shaky soundmen who doesn't have a clue what the individual needs of musicians are. Funny that they never ask a drummer to turn it down. I always treat these kind of guys with my 135W vintage Twin Reverb! Twisted Evil
elizabeth
Robben Fan #1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 5:16 am    Post subject: Shows you how strange I am... Reply with quote

I'm always wanting them to turn it UP! Ah well. You can't please everybody.

edpesco

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leftbender wrote:. I always treat these kind of guys with my 135W vintage Twin Reverb!

That's not treatment, that's punishment
Daved
Robben Connection

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 7:15 am    Post subject: ( }:-D Guitar Volume Theory Reply with quote

Leftbender wrote:
Funny that they never ask a drummer to turn it down.

Your right, Lefty.
Guitars ARE, for the most part, the only thing that ever gets asked to be turned down (unless the band is asked to lighten up overall).
My experiences tell me that this is the reason:
1) Keys & horns are miked & heard primarily thru the P.A. Thus, the sound person has almost total control over them.
2) Bass, with its low frequencies & long wave forms, spread like a sunami and you almost need to be some distance from them to get the impact. And, when you do, it is more felt than heard.
3) Drums are like close quarters land mines. You need to be nearer to them to feel the injury. A powerful, violent drummer will be a problem only for the other band members near him on the stage. That is why you often see them surrounded with plexiglass.
And finally 4) Guitars can be hi amp, directional cannons. Place your self in their line of fire and you WILL sustain damage. (I lost a noticable amount of hi-end in my right ear thanx to Iron Maidens screaming guitars. I am now a firm advocate of ear plugs when I feel endangered.)

I find that Front Of House booths that are directly in front of the guitar rigs will often complain about the loudness of the guitars. I also find that when audiences complain that they had a hard time hearing the guitars thru the P.A., it is because the soundman was directly in front of the rig so he mixed them down quite a bit (especially if it is an inexperienced/lazy engineer who doesn't bother to "walk the room").

Aeolian

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:26 am    Post subject: Turn it down, no turn it up Reply with quote

One of the big things about Robben's style is that he plays very dynamically. That is, the volume and tone of any note is going to be very different that the notes that preceed or follow it. Some note will be guiet and then he'll pop a note with his finger to make that part of the phrase stand out. On average it isn't that loud. High end audio guys call this "microdynamicsIf you turn things down so that the peaks aren't loud, you don't have the headroom to play dynamically without the softer notes getting burried. This happened to Robben at the Santa Cruz blues festival. I think he has been spoiled having soundmen turn him down during comp parts and back up for solos. The sound guy at the festival didn't know the material and didn't couldn't recognize when Robben was soloing.
Aeolian

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:36 pm    Post subject: soundmen and guitars Reply with quote

I should probably clarify the "spoiled" comment. In large venues, you are totaly at the mercy of the soundman. In an organized tour, the soundman knows the material, and the cues, and works the board to get the best presentation to the audience. When this is worked out and rehearsed the results are a totally professional show. If a guitarist were to start turning himself up and down it would throw off the soundmen and result in chaos. Even in smaller venues like Yoshi's I've noticed if you sit right in front (not a good thing as Daved suggests) Robben doesn't turn down while comping (although being Robben and more interested in the music, he often completely sits out during others solos). He usually has a known quanity in the sound booth who turns down the house in these parts. This is how the pros do it. Up there, you are also dependant on the monitor mix near you as you often can't hear your own rig so if you turned down, you wouldn't be able to hear yourself at all. This is another reason I can appreciate Robben's stage volume. I hate the sound of my guitar coming through a monitor. It is so disconnected from my fingers. I think Robben needs to hear his rig to work the tone the way he does.
Although this is how the pros do it, most of us mortals have been subjected to amateur sound folks who try to ride the board without understanding what is happening on stage. When I see one of these guys putting a mike in front of my amp I see two choices, turn it up so loud that he turns the mike off (reinforcing the loud guitarist stereotype) or turn down so much in comp parts that they might turn it up and give me enough headroom to solo. This can backfire as one sustained loud chorus can get you turned down into oblivion for the rest of the night. At the Santa Cruz blues festival, Chris Cain was getting away with this, turning way down before the soundman could remember which mike he was then interjecting solos that could be heard. But Chris usually plays in smaller venues where he has to control his own volume all the time. He doesn't get to be "spoiled" by the professional support Robben rightfully expects. This ruined the SC festival for me. After watching the build from the local folks, through Coco Montoya, I was anticipating my favorite guitarist to bring down the house. Instead it was murder by soundman. Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> The Daved Zone All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: