Robben Ford Discussion :: View topic - Recent Concerts
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through this link.
Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index

Robben Ford Discussion
The Official Robben Ford Discussion Group

www.RobbenFord.com
All Access Pass

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recent Concerts
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlueRunner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: Recent Concerts Reply with quote

Cool So, was up in Santa Cruz the weekend before last, and caught Shane Dwight at Moe's Alley. Dwight is always a kick. Not the best guitar player. Not the best singer. Not the best band. But no one works harder to put it all together and really get a place boogie-in' down. Great show. Met two young women who had been there this past fall and had really enjoyed listening to these "older blues guys," who were "apparently related," and "seemed to play some really cool music together." Put two and two together and guessed right: They'd stumbled on last September's Ford Brothers reunion by accident, just out trying to find a good time! Robben, Mark and Pat are out there making new fans every time they play! Wondering if any of you Nor-Cal folks made it to the gig, and managed to avoid me.

Last night in one of our favorite small local venues we caught Kenny Edwards, who brought along L.A. singer-songwriter Kathrin Shorr, who in turn brought along Tim Burlingame. Burlingame is one of these amazing sidemen like Mike Landau, et al., who plays these small gems that absolutely perfectly compliment the vocalist, and that leave you deparately wanting more. Burlingame also broke out for the first time that we'd heard, this wonderful small lap steel. Seems a lot of players are getting the Robert Randolph disease, and I for one hope that no one finds a cure.
roadwarriorfortheblues

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Jimmy Herring & Col Bruce Hampton Reply with quote

I'm going to hear Jimmy Herring tonight at my favorite hang-out.

I've been warned to bring ear plugs Razz Laughing
JackD

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!! Where'e Jimmy Herring playing?? That I'd love to see. I've only seen him with the Greatful Dead (this is the best I could do). I'd love to see him doing his own thing or with ARU, Jazz is Dead, etc.
elizabeth
Robben Fan #1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Moe's Reply with quote

BlueRunner,

We would NEVER try to avoid you, in fact, if you had said you were coming up, some of us might have made it over there! Cool
roadwarriorfortheblues

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:42 am    Post subject: Jimmy Herring & Col Bruce Hampton @ Skippers Reply with quote

The show went on last night despite the torrential downpours, gale force winds, lightning, booming thunder, and a brief power outage. Skipper's is an outside venue and it was the worst night of weather I've seen in 15 years.

But the band wanted to PLAY Exclamation

After a 2 hour delay, the lightshow-in-the-sky was still too active to risk losing any of the vintage equipment the band had set up on stage. They rearranged the entire stage, set up lots of mics and played an acoustic set. The first few songs were plagued with sound problems (the instrument level mics weren't working!) I'm disappointed that I had to leave just as the music was beginning to sound good, around 11:30 p.m. Hopefully, the weather will work out better for them next time around.
roadwarriorfortheblues

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject: Jimmy Herring with The CodeTalkers - 8/19/05 Reply with quote

It was an amazing night of music at Skippers Smokehouse with Jimmy Herring and the CodeTalkers. This band is absolutely on fire ! Their summer tour is coming to an end, but if you have a chance to see them next time around, or if you have an opportunity to download one of their live shows, do it.

The band members are an ecletic group of very talented musicians. Col. Bruce Hampton is a legend among jam band fans. Last night he played electric (slide) guitar and shared the lead vocals with Bobby Lee Rodgers. Rodgers is an equally talented songwriter and musician; he was playing a Deering Banjo -- looks & sounds like the combo of banjo and electric guitar! It has a wonderful sound ! Chief Whitehorse on bass and the band's drummer (???, sorry!), kept the band in a supernatural groove all night.

Last night's show also included some very special music in tribute to fiddlist Vassar Clements, who passed away this week.

Jimmy Herring was amazing ! He played beautiful jazz chords over Rodgers banjo licks, creating music that was joyous and satisfying. Brilliant solos flowed from his hands as if he had endless supply of inspiration. His speed and finesse was mind-numbing.

It was one of the best concerts I've seen at Skippers in more than 10 years. There were about 10 tapers at the show, so hopefully I'll be able to "relive" the experience again soon.
JohnnyZ

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sat. night, Oct 1st: the Tony Levin Band and the Jim Weider Band, at Keegan's Ales, Kingston, NY. Thirty bucks to see 2 great bands, and all the Keegan's Ales beer you can drink! And, to mention that, Keegan's Ales celebrated its 2nd anniversary as a micro-brewery, and doing a very good business...

The Tony Levin Band came out first. And, all I can say is, it was an incredible show. Tony is, the consumate professional. Great tunes, lots of variety, including a "barbershop quartet" to start it all off. How can I explain the music? Alternative. Funky. Hip. Sophisticate. World. Strange. And, just plain Awesome. Special credits to Jesse Gress (guitar), and the drummer, sorry about forgetting the name at the moment, and great voice too...

And, I have to mention, yet again, how great the Jim Weider Band is (with Jesse Gress doing double duty on guitar). They smoked! Jim Weider is, as he's acclaimed, "the Master of the Telecaster"! No disappointment here!

For you Europeans, please check out the Tony Levin Band website for tour dates. I guarantee that you'll enjoy the show(s). And, if someone out there happens to tape, please let me know...

Later,
~JZ~
roadwarriorfortheblues

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: More CodeTalkers ! Reply with quote

The CodeTalkers will be coming back to Tampa Bay next weekend for a show. Hubert Sumlin will be sitting in with them ! It's going to be a great show Very Happy .

If you're not familiar with the music of Bobby Lee Rodgers, check him out. I read that he taught at Berklee College of Music; don't know when, or what he taught? Any of you Berklee grads familiar with Bobby Lee ?
roadwarriorfortheblues

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject: Hubert Sumlin Reply with quote

I saw a fun show Friday night at a coffee house in Clearwater (FL). The 74-year-young Hubert Sumlin played with The CodeTalkers
( http://www.thecodetalkers.com ).

Hubert Sumlin was lively and animated as he sang and jammed with Bobby Lee Rodgers on tunes from The CodeTalkers' repetoire as well as traditional Blues. Col. Bruce Hampton played steel pedal guitar, Ted Pecchio played upright bass and special guest Bo Diddley Jr. also sat in on electric guitar.

It was a Howlin' good time ! Wink
roadwarriorfortheblues

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject: "House" Concerts Reply with quote

I've been to a lot of great concerts lately... most of them in my own living room Very Happy

Eric Bibb "Live at the Basement" is a great show ! I thought he was terrific when I saw him in St. Louis with Robben & The Bluesbreakers. I had a good seat in the balcony for that show, but watching this DVD from "little heaven" (my favorite chair) was even better. "Live at the Basement" shows Bibb's energy and passion for music is off-the-charts ! He performs with such fury -- sweat is dripping from his brow, his foot stomping and string snapping kick into high gear -- and it's only the first song of the set. From the "get go" to the encore, Bibb never lets down. His performance is bold, captivating, and beautifully crafted. Bibb is backed up on stage by the very talented Bassist Dave Bronze. They are a wonderful duo and I'd love to see them play together again, hopefully in person next time. Wink

I've also recently revisited Robben's New Morning Concert. I really enjoy this show !
Bluelobster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Hey; happy new year Reply with quote

Road war , your reviews are such a threat Razz they worth the fact to be there. Laughing
roadwarriorfortheblues

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: hi blob, is this the new chat room ??? urkk, urkkk Reply with quote

Post subject: Live Studio Broadcast with Folk Singer/Songwriter Ellis Paul

I had a cool "live" music experience this morning !

Most Friday mornings, while working at my computer, I'll listen to a "live" music show on the radio Shocked

This morning, for the first time ever, an audience of about 25 listeners, volunteers, and supporters, were invited into the studio to SEE the live broadcast. This opportunity was available to anyone who called in and asked to be put on the list.

Today's performer was singer/songwriter Ellis Paul, a folk musician from New England, who is in Tampa for a Sunday gig. I had heard several of Ellis Paul's songs on the radio before, but I had never seen him perform. He brought two acoustic guitars to the studio with him this morning. In between songs, he was interviewed by the two program hosts and took a few questions from the audience. Ellis Paul's voice is beautiful and he's a wonderful acoustic player. I'm especially fond of his new love song, "Snow in Austin".

It was also a thrill to meet everyone at the station and tour the new facility. I've been a listener for 15 years !!! And soon I'll be their newest volunteer !!!!

If you are interested, you can listen online, via streaming mp3, to today's performance as well as other recent broadcasts at:

http://www.wmnf.org/programming/daily.php?ShowId=249
roadwarriorfortheblues

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Rockin' The Joint Tour Reply with quote

Lenny Kravitz & Aerosmith tonight Exclamation
roadwarriorfortheblues

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone on this forum see Bobby Lee Rogers with ARU in Colorado over the weekend ? I read that it was a good show.

I saw Susan Tedeschi Friday night. What a great voice, she is a great performer. Her new CD is one of my favorites, but I don't think she plays any guitar on it ? I was surprised that she is the only guitar player on this tour... it was a good show ! I wish it could've been at a smaller club, but she had a big turnout for the show, so good for her.

The Aerosmith show, a few days ago, was good. Lenny Kravitz called in sick. The Forum was filled with fans... nobody knew Lenny was not there. At the last minute, they got a local singer, Twinkle (formerly known as Schascle in the early 90s) to fill in as the opener. Aerosmith opened up with Lennon's, "Helter Skelter" ... it was that kind of night ! The show was good, it's a "Best of Aerosmith" tour. All the songs I grew up on. But I was really looking forward to seeing Lenny Kravitz again.
elizabeth
Robben Fan #1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: No, but I did see Chris Cain... Reply with quote

Oooh, I saw Chris last Saturday night at the Little Fox in Redwood City. The man is amazing, as always. It is such a pleasure to see him perform, and it always puts a smile on my face.

He had a great back up band: Dewayne Pate on bass, David K. Matthews on killer keyboards (I just love it when that man tears up the keys with different parts of his body!) The drummer's name escapes me just now, but Aeolian, I know you know who the guy is. I think his first name is Taylor, and he is a low key kind of guy who rips it up without looking like that is what he is doing.

The Little Fox is just starting to come into its own as a music venue, and I am holding out high hopes for it. Lydia Pense and Cold Blood will be there next month, and they are starting to have a weekly blues jam. (As if I would ever get back the nerve to go to something like that with the intention of singing...yeah, right....when pigs fly!)

Anyhow, Chris was wonderful. Soulful and smoking as ever, the crowd absolutely adored him and made him come back for two encores, and I noticed there were several shots of tequila delivered to him right after he did, "Drinkin' Straight Tequila."

Friday night I went to Freight and Salvage (Berkeley) to see a group called the Palm Wine Boys, a local band with thoughtful songwriters, sweet harmonies, and lyrics that make you think. F & S is a place I would give my i teeth to see Robben...next best thing to being in your own living room, with your typical Berkeley crowd. Comfy and cozy.

I'm trying to be patient and wait for February 4th, when I go to see Robben. It feels like this has been the longest no-Robben stretch I can remember in years, and I don't like it one bit. On the other hand, Dewayne said he will be playing with him in at that gig, so I guess I will try to bide my time.

Oh, and hey Roadwarrior, I saw Susan Tedeschi at the Fillmore a few weeks ago...she is fantastic, and the crowd loved her. She was really cute when she mentioned that one of the guitars she was playing actually belonged to her husband, but that she had decided she would bring it along on this tour. Smile

love,
elizabeth
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 1 of 22

Jump to: