Robben Ford Discussion :: View topic - The Bad, The Good, and the Most Excellent!
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through this link.
Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index

Robben Ford Discussion
The Official Robben Ford Discussion Group

www.RobbenFord.com
All Access Pass

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Bad, The Good, and the Most Excellent!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> The Daved Zone
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daved
Robben Connection

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 1:11 pm    Post subject: The Bad, The Good, and the Most Excellent! Reply with quote

The bad:
The record release party on the 8th has been cancelled.... seems someone at the Key Club double booked the date and we got bumped.

The Good:
Instead, we'll use that day to get together with the band and rehearse material from the new album for performance during the tour.

The Most Excellent:
Dal tells me that he has struck a deal with COX Cable for a 3 camera shoot of the first show of the tour at the CoachHouse this Thursday.

"This boy's diseased with rhythm!" -Bing Crosby (Road To Rio, '49)
kirk95
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will the video be released as a DVD?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Daved
Robben Connection

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirk95 wrote:
Will the video be released as a DVD?

Sorry, David, but I have not the slightest idea... that's not my department. I've only been told to prepare for 3 cameras to be in my way... LOL

But, since it is being filmed by a cable company, my GUESS would be that it's being done for airplay & not specifically for sale. I really don't even know how COX plans to use the footage (as part of another feature or as a self contained show).

If I hear of anything further, I'll be sure to let everyone know.

Daved
Robben Connection

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 1:03 am    Post subject: Latest bad news Reply with quote

Robben has decided that his rules for recording are too complicated for many fans to understand so he has simplified them down to just NO during the shows.

No photos
No audio
No video
No nothing

Sorry gang.

kirk95
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that! Crying or Very sad

I think I should rename this thread:

The Bad, The Good, and the most DISSAPOINTING!

With all due respect and I mean the upmost respect, this defies logic! on many levels!

1> will this enhance Robben's relationship with his fans?
2> will this increase record sales?
3> will this enhance Robben's marketing efforts which are already very very low?
4> will this increase live ticket sales?

The only thing that has changed is photos? I don't get it! What's the big deal?

When we post photos over here traffic spikes and we get new members to sign up and more people engaged in discussion about Robben. I would think that is a good thing and that it promotes 1-4!

My 2 cents.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
johan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Word, captain Kirk!
Daved
Robben Connection

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirk95 wrote:
With all due respect and I mean the upmost respect, this defies logic! on many levels!

1> will this enhance Robben's relationship with his fans?
2> will this increase record sales?
3> will this enhance Robben's marketing efforts which are already very very low?
4> will this increase live ticket sales?

The only thing that has changed is photos? I don't get it! What's the big deal?

It's quite simple really. The big deal is that FLASH photos have ALWAYS been a big deal with Robben and people continue to IGNORE that.

Robben understands your disappointment as he is disappointed that fans cannot seem to respect his wishes about flash photography and that he feels forced into having to make this decision.

Photography has never had anything to do with Ticket sales, record sales, or marketing and only affects the fan relationship of those who attend his shows to take pictures. Robben is more interested in his relationship with those who want to hear his music.

He is just sooooo tired of people ignoring his request for no flash, even when we make preshow announcements or post signs around the stage and at the venue entrances or when he personally asks them from the stage not to do it (and believe me, I regularly have to leave the stage to go reinforce this to audience members when they continue to distract Robben with their cameras), that he feels banning cameras all together is the only alternative he has left.

Robben has always tried to meet the fans halfway with photos, but the flash photo freaks continually defied him, so he feels this is what he must do. He feels his shows should be about the music, not the photos which distract his performance and he feels is distracting to the majority of the audience who come to see & hear the show, not to watch lots of flashing lights.

Since the photographers refused to put away their flash attachments, even after continued request from Robben, he has decided it is best just to have the cameras put away all together.

Not his fault... rather the fault of those who continually disrespect his wishes thus ruining it for everyone.

kirk95
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daved wrote:

Robben has always tried to meet the fans halfway with photos, but the flash photo freaks continually defied him, so he feels this is what he must do. He feels his shows should be about the music, not the photos which distract his performance and he feels is distracting to the majority of the audience who come to see & hear the show, not to watch lots of flashing lights.

Since the photographers refused to put away their flash attachments, even after continued request from Robben, he has decided it is best just to have the cameras put away all together.

Not his fault... rather the fault of those who continually disrespect his wishes thus ruining it for everyone.

Not blaming Robben but ...... That sucks!

Leftbender

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drop out of warp, Captain!
You must know how it looks when people start to flash out of a dark theatre! You'll get dark spots for several minutes. Not nice if you'are in the middle of a solo. I agree it is dissapointing, in fact I planned to take my brand new digital camera to the Amsterdam concert, but now I don't.
As simple as that. I repect Robben's decision, although it is bitter.
Now I can focus on his music and his performance even more, though!

Lefty
kirk95
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok..... I am on Impulse Engines now...

As Spock would say...when the irresponsible actions of "the few" screw the privileges of "the many" that sucks!

There is always a way to work these things out fairly! There just needs to be the desire from somewhere or someone to do so!

I guess that's my point! Neutral

Ok...Scotty give me Warp 5.......

Kirk Out!
Leftbender

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understood, Captain! It's noted in my log! Wink

All the best

Lefty
Daved
Robben Connection

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, Robben and I both agree with you, It DOES suck.

It makes it hard on everyone, including me.... in that if even I take photos, even with Robben's approval, and fans see me doing it, then they'll feel they should also have the right, whether it is gotten from Robben or not, and that opens a whole 'nother kettle of worms.

But, to Robben at present, it sucks even more when his concentration/vibe is broken/distracted, or he is blinded in the middle of that awesome, once in a lifetime performance because some people insist on taking advantage of his generosity when he DID allow still photography.

If people would only learn to respect the wishes of the artists they so admire, those artists wouldn't have to resort to extremes like this, and it could be a much simpler and pleasant world for all, don'cha think?

And, in some ways, the really sad part is that you KNOW that, just as with audio & video recording, some people STILL are going to ignore his wishes and continue to take unauthorized photos both with and without flash, eventually forcing Robben to have to do something even more extreme, unpleasant, and undesirable for all.

Funkifized

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 9:20 am    Post subject: Recording shows Reply with quote

I can understand the problem with flash photography. I just wish he'd change his policy on taping. There's a whole fan base that trade recordings of bands that allow taping, such as the Funky Meters, the Radiators, Widespread Panic, Phish, etc. The whole concept of fans trading recordings of the Funky Meters is what keeps their fanbase going! George Porter, Jr., who is the original bassist for the Meters, occasionally releases a number of recordings to be forwarded in a tree, which gets a whole new group of fans into the music. Seems like Robben would fit right into this type of crowd, if he allowed recording at the shows. 99% of shows that come across my CD player are at least good quality, if not excellent quality, and it certainly doesn't hurt the band to have more material out there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
telefunk1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say respect the man and his wishes. Period. This is like arguing with my seven year old!

And besides, I really don't understand the big deal about wanting to take pics. Maybe this is just about how I process experiences, but in my mind a picture does nothing to enhance my memory of an event. The first time I saw RF was about 30 years ago when he was with Spoon and I will never forget the experience - not having a picture does not diminish the experience! It is still as strong in my mind as it was when I walked out of the show.

And the same goes for the gear - does it really matter how he sets his pedal board? This is not what music is all about! Elizabeth is a lot closer to the essence of the muse with her shoe fetish!

Oh well. Sorry about the double negative.
JoeB63

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm one of those who doesn't understand the need for pictures of a performer. Video would be cool, but still pictures I don't get.

On the taping issue: "Jam" bands typically tour constantly and draw large crowds everywhere they go. They make almost all of their $ from touring, and a very small percentage from retail CD sales. Newer "Jam" bands that are working to attract larger audiences, use taping and trading as the way to spread the word. On the other hand...

... RF doesn't draw jam-band size crowds, nor does he tour constantly. So I suspect he derives a much bigger percentage of his overall $$ from CD sales. And I truly believe that concert tapes and bootlegs would significantly cut into his retail CD sales. Personally, I'd rather listen to live RF and studio RF, and I'll bet many others here feel the same way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> The Daved Zone All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: