Robben Ford Discussion :: View topic - Hello Everyone
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through this link.
Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index

Robben Ford Discussion
The Official Robben Ford Discussion Group

www.RobbenFord.com
All Access Pass

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello Everyone
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> The Daved Zone
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daved
Robben Connection

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 11:45 pm    Post subject: Hello Everyone Reply with quote

Hi, Daved here.

I am adding my name to the list of site members here, but my actual participation may come slowly. I barely have time enuff to keep up my own site and I am, as you long timers will appreciate, understandably a little gunshy. But, what is past is past and I would like to use this site as a place to see what concerns, questions, and comments the fans may have about Robben and his activities. Robben, too, misses having a place of "intimate contact" such as the old A/D site provided.

Fans should keep in mind that, as I once stated on the A/D board (to which I will NOT be returning... blue meanies and apple bonkers are too accessable to the once gentle Pepperland over there), I am just an individual here seeking entertainment, education, and sense of community like all the other participants. Yes, like everyone else, I also learn new and interesting things from info the fans present and discuss.

If everyone respects my place, I will feel accepted in this community. Please realize that I have the right to my own opinions and ideas as much as anyone else here does. If one disagrees with me, do so in a calm and mature way. Debate and discussion are good. Rants, raves, and threats are not. I apologize for the uproar that my standing up for a personal friend caused elsewhere. For the most part, I have learned that in the internet community my personal opinions and beliefs are not wanted, tolerated, or RATIONALLY analyzed, so it is best that I keep them to myself, presenting only factual information, and I will try to do only that from now on.

Dal and I have been observing this new community for awhile now and have been so far favorably pleased and impressed with the way that David & Elizabeth have maintained a pleasantly safe and sane environment for the sincere Robben fans who seem to be happily gravitating here with acceptance and enthusiasm. Because of this I have decided to reopen my accessability as requested by so many of you over the last year.

However, if I am given cause to feel pressured or uncomfortable here, I WILL take my leave. I don't NEED to be here any more than anyone else. I am here because I enjoy the exchange & community and because Robben likes the intimacy of sharing this personal link with his fans through me, as much as you all do.

For the many fans who have approached me at shows over the last year, I would like to thank you for your support and your dedication to Robben. I have enjoyed talking with you all and hope to meet more of you as time goes by. At shows where I am accessable to the audience, please do not hesitate to drop by my station & say hello. As many of the regular fans will tell you, I am more than happy to answer questions when we are on the road and I have the time. But please understand also, that often I am wearing MANY hats and can be very busy, so I do not always have the time for chat. If such is the case at the show you may attend, please be patient and try to catch me the next time around.

Now, that being said, let's move on to the workings of this board. It is very new yet flexible so, like new friends, we shall have to evolve the mechanics of our relationship here.

I DO have a personal life of my own beyond the world of Robben and since I am VERY busy, especially with the release of the new album, the upcoming tour season, and developing my own Robben Ford All Access Pass site, I may be a bit slow at times in response and the addressing of issues and questions here. You'll just have to bear with me.

To start off with:

1) I would like to assure you all, that I will notify you here whenever I update my RF Pass site. It is not something I update on any sort of a regularly scheduled basis (only when I have new and hopefully interesting info, pictures & things to add), so this way you won't miss anything.

2) I will post thruout this site as I am able and desirous, just like any other member and fan.

3) If you have questions, comments, or suggestions specifically for me or Robben, you can post them here in the Daved Zone and I will address them as I am able. But, again, please be patient. I will not always be able to respond immediately.

4) And finally, PLEASE, do not always EXPECT an answer or response, as I do not HAVE all the answers nor the time and resources to get you those answers. I WILL do what I can, WHEN I can.

So, let's start with this basic setup and see where it takes us. Be patient and, like a new born child, I'm sure that that the journey of this site's growth can be an enjoyable and educational experience for us all.

Thanx for your consideration and let's have fun here, shall we?.

"This boy's diseased with rhythm!" -Bing Crosby (Road To Rio, '49)
edpesco

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daved, great to have you here. The reasons why you left the old board was the reason I never joined it. This board is great and I hope we can keep it a friendly repectful place.
Frunk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Daved,

Really glad to hear from you again (good work on your website) ! Very Happy

Let's have some fun !

Frunk
Leftbender

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Daved,

Thanks for joining the club! Very Happy Very Happy
I hope this wonderfull environment David and Elizabeth (and all the rest of us) created will please you! I hope you will feel comfortable like among friends, because that's just what we are!

Leftbender
diatonicdude

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 4:30 am    Post subject: Welcome Daved! Reply with quote

Its great to have you back! Your input, however great or small, will be greatly appreciated, and invaluable to all of Robben's fans. Look forward to saying hello at the Jazz Cafe soon.

I would also like to thank kirk95 & Elizabeth for all their efforts on this site. Keep up the great work.

All the best,

DD Smile
elizabeth
Robben Fan #1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 5:06 am    Post subject: Oooooooooohhhh... Reply with quote

I just love happy reunions! If I have had any part in that, it makes me sooooooooo happy!

Buffaloe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daved,

Really good to see you here. I am floored by the tones on "Keep On Runnin" and would love a run down on some of the rigs Robben used. If I'm hearing the Baker, I'm hearing pure Robben with a little different flavor. Just great playing and color.
kirk95
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Hello Everyone Reply with quote

Daved wrote:
Hi, Daved here.

Debate and discussion are good. Rants, raves, and threats are not. I apologize for the uproar that my standing up for a personal friend caused elsewhere. For the most part, I have learned that in the internet community my personal opinions and beliefs are not wanted, tolerated, or RATIONALLY analyzed, so it is best that I keep them to myself, presenting only factual information, and I will try to do only that from now on.

Dal and I have been observing this new community for awhile now and have been so far favorably pleased and impressed with the way that David & Elizabeth have maintained a pleasantly safe and sane environment for the sincere Robben fans who seem to be happily gravitating here with acceptance and enthusiasm. Because of this I have decided to reopen my accessability as requested by so many of you over the last year.

However, if I am given cause to feel pressured or uncomfortable here, I WILL take my leave. I don't NEED to be here any more than anyone else. I am here because I enjoy the exchange & community and because Robben likes the intimacy of sharing this personal link with his fans through me, as much as you all do.

Daved this will not be a problem up here! This is a moderated forum run by people who passionately want to ensure a safe and respectful community to discuss Robben's music, gear, shows, etc.. You can be assured that none of the shenanigans mentioned in your post above will be tolerated here. I know all members here understand that it is a privilege to have your participation up here and will do everything to preserve it.

Welcome back! This is great personal victory for me that took a long time to make happen! The direct link between Robben and the community has been reconnected.....touchdown!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elizabeth
Robben Fan #1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 6:39 am    Post subject: Validation, appreciation, and gratitude... Reply with quote

Daved, your opinions and presence are so welcomed here! You have been so dearly missed by many of us.

He's back! He's back! David, he's back!!!!!
henkholland

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 9:36 am    Post subject: Great that you're back Reply with quote

Daved,

Great that you're back. And now I hope that Arbeen is also joining in as a member.
That brings me to a question for Daved: does Robben know that he brings people together all over the world? Not only on this discussion board or at his great concerts. But also by sharing pictures, the same interests, musical expierence, radio-and TV-braodcastings, etc. It gave and gives me a lot of joyful moments and much inspiration to develop my own kind of making music. I hope I can talk with Robben about this question a short moment when he's in the Netherlands or Belgium.
Second question for Daved: do you remember the TV-braodcasting in Brazil 2001? It's one of the best TV-shows I ever have seen with Robben (with one of the most impressive solos in Moonchild blues). Can you tell us something about that time and this broadcasting? Thanks.

Henk.
jonhanks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 5:26 am    Post subject: welcome back! Reply with quote

Great to have you back Daved! You have been greatly missed as a representative of the greatest guitar player on the planet. Look forward to seeing you in manchester - and Birmingham if that show is still on.

Jon.
marinblues

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back Daved!

good to hear from you again. Hope you enjoy yourself here as well.

marin

Very Happy Smile Very Happy
________
MONTANA MEDICAL MARIJUANA

Last edited by marinblues on Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:19 am; edited 1 time in total
tonemandan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Daved. Great to hear from you again. We met last year when Robben played Montgomery AL and I had the privelege of spending a couple days with you guys.

We all appreciate the time you take to talk with us out here. Too bad a couple bad apples spoiled it for you before. We won't let that happen here.

Welcome!

Dan Cunningham, O.D.
Daved
Robben Connection

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonebutcher wrote:
Daved,
Really good to see you here. I am floored by the tones on "Keep On Runnin" and would love a run down on some of the rigs Robben used. If I'm hearing the Baker, I'm hearing pure Robben with a little different flavor. Just great playing and color.

TB,
Yes, I think it is a very good sounding album myself.
The rigs & guitars Robben used are all shown over on my "RF Pass" site in the "Studio" department. I will be expanding on his equipment itself in the near future, in the new "Gear" department I am putting together over there.

For the most part, there was little deparure from his usual use of them all, except that when Robben is doing sessions and recording, we usually plug his ax straight into the amp head for pure sound and then let the engineers doctor it later with whatever FX they deem necessary.

I think that a lot of the distinctive difference in the flavor of this CD is due largely in part to 2 things:
One is that, as with his earlier albums, we kept the gear simple... avoiding a wide variety of amps and guitars.
And two, I believe the producer talents of John Wooler, who oversaw every minute and recording aspect of this album, along with the engineering input of Nico Bolas had a lot to do with it.
I could tell that by the end of the first week of the project, Robben felt so comfortable with these two that he very noticably relaxed and put himself into their hands.

There were times when Robben would say about a part, "Well, that felt pretty good. I'm satisfied with it", and John or Nico would tell him "No Robben, we think it could be better. Let's try this or that....".
John was great at evaluating the material and Nico was amazing at pulling the best out of the performances, selecting and/or changing around proper mic's, gear, placements, etc.

Let me give you an example of his insight:
There was one tune (I don't remember which one it was) that was completed except for the lead vocals. Robben kept going into the booth and giving the song his best shots, all of which were very good, but John & Nico kept agreeing with Robben that it could be great! However, no one could figure out quite what it was that held up putting the performance over-the-top.
Everyone was about to settle & move on when Nico suddenly said, "Robben, do me a favor. Let's try it one last time but, this time pick up your guitar, don't plug it in, but play along as you sing... the way your used to doing it."
It made ALL the difference in the world. By the end of the first verse we all knew we had our take!

"This boy's diseased with rhythm!" -Bing Crosby (Road To Rio, '49)
marinblues

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the background in your picture Daved!

It looks like one of the hotels in Las Vegas!

Laughing

bye

marin

P.S. Bella Italia!
________
HOME MADE VAPORIZER

Last edited by marinblues on Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> The Daved Zone All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: