Robben Ford Discussion :: View topic - Ultimate album
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through this link.
Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index

Robben Ford Discussion
The Official Robben Ford Discussion Group

www.RobbenFord.com
All Access Pass

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ultimate album

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
burger.ie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: Ultimate album Reply with quote

I`ve been lucky enough to see both Robben Ford and Larry Carlton live this year.
Wouldn`t it be great if they recorded an album together.
The ultimate guitar album.
diatonicdude

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Burger!

that would indeed make a fantastic, and interesting album. The Larry & Lee (Lee Ritenour) album was a killer, and a RF & LC would be for sure.

Out of interest, where did you see LC & RF? Did LC play mainly blues promoting his last two albums? I think Kirk95 was probably the luckiest of us all; RF, LC, Eric Johnson and Sonny Landreth all at one gig Cool .

I'm thinking of seeing LC at the Jazz Cafe in October, but I haven't seen RF this year Crying or Very sad

All the best,

DD
JohnnyZ

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to take anything away from this topic of ultimate album with Robben and Larry, but we may soon being witnessing a different ultimate get-together, and hopefully live album, with John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers with Robben Ford. John + Robben + Buddy Whittington + the rest of the Bluesbreakers = one helluva show!

You know, if Larry Carlton could be thrown into the mix, it would probably be the ultimate quintessential without-a-doubt all-time forever fah-git-ah-bout-it can never be topped album of lifetimes... Shocked Cool Laughing
burger.ie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Robben in the Jazz Cafe.
I saw Larry Carlton in Barcelona. I got to meet Larry after the gig and chat to him. He was an absolute gent.
I didn`t think of asking him about recording an album with Robben.
I was too starstruck at the time.

I saw John Mayall play in Ireland a couple of years ago. Fantastic gig.
Love to see him and Robben together.

Let`s face it. If Robben was playing with the back street boys I`d go.
burger.ie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to answer your question Diatonicdude.
Larry did play mainly blues for the gig. In fact I think he played all the new album. But he also played his classics.
His instrumental of Josie went down great. As the gig was in Barcelona he played a fabulous solo spanish guitar piece at the end.

I reckon a Larry and Robben album has to happen. Their styles would work so well together.
Aeolian

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who's been at the Ojai clinics has seen Robben's eyes roll when that inevitible question comes up. It seems to me that, in the near term at least, that Robben is trying to distance himself from that guitar fusion era that folks associate with him and Larry. His immediate focus appears to be on his songwriting. The Jing Chi and such is a different sort of modal fusion, more like the Miles days. He has said that he is more interested in playing together with folks that have new and unique voices, instead of been there, done that.

Can't blame the guy for not wanting to live in the past, even if so many of us love what he did, and wish there was more. The truly great artists are always moving forward.

Of course, I've heard that he occasionally sneaks out to some small local club and cuts loose with the likes of Landau, Babco and Brechtlein. I'm so jealous of the folks that live down there.
burger.ie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you. True artists are always moving forwards. Every time I look to see what Robben is at he`s playing with someone new.
His diversity is amazing.

For a long time people wondered why DeNiro and Pacino had never acted together on screen together. When they did, Heat was a huge hit.

I know that`s a silly comparison but the point is you can please the fans without compromising your own direction.

I love where Robben and Larry are both going.
I just can`t help wishing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: