Robben Ford Discussion :: View topic - Sapphire Blue - New Larry Carlton CD
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through this link.
Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index

Robben Ford Discussion
The Official Robben Ford Discussion Group

www.RobbenFord.com
All Access Pass

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sapphire Blue - New Larry Carlton CD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirk95
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 9:05 am    Post subject: Sapphire Blue - New Larry Carlton CD Reply with quote

Anybody have this? Just got a copy and am on track 1!

Very cool! Larry playing the blues! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
kirk95
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This CD kills! Carlton is back! Sounds like a more blue Sleepwalk! Very tasty touch, tone, and laid back phrasing.....smoking.

Get this CD!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
nineacres

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

I just read this comment by Larry Carlton on Robben:

"Amazon.co.uk: Of course, there's another player, Robben Ford, who was working in similar kinds of ways in the 1970s.

Larry Carlton: Later, yes. I met Robben in 1976 and every Tuesday night for many months we would play at a club in North Hollywood. I just loved the way Robben played, so obviously the things that I heard Robben doing would go into my playing. And I think vice-versa for him to some degree. He's a great player."

The whole interviw can be seen at: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/feature/-/192600/qid=1066218615/sr=6-1/026-8010540-9329213

Larry makes a rather interesting comment on his "smooth jazz" records, evidently referring to the difference between his CD releases and his on-stage playing. I really wish he'd bridge the gap, since his playing has really dumbed-down in recently years. Hopefully, Sapphire Blue does something to redress the balance. It's a real shame we don't get any more of those blistering solos, or even what I like to call the unobtrusive elegance of his playing on "Nightfly".
telefunk1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds interesting, but I have been burned by Carlton's releases so many times in the past I hesitate to fork over any more money even if the stuff is great! I fail to understand how someone with so much talent can have such bad taste at times!
PierreL

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same for me... if only he could record another "Last Nite"...
Well at least the record with Luke was good . I hear they plan to do another one.
fusejaz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am diggin this CD too! track 3, Night Sweats(jazzier and more laid back) even more than the first track...
This CD seems like what LC's blues romp, "Renegade Gentleman", should have been.
I notice "Sapphire Blue" is an import only at this time.
I wonder if his US label is reacting to the general "thumbs down" sentiment that "Renegade Gentleman" seems to have garnered from Carlton's serious guitar fans...well I didn't like most of it.. Did anyone here like that one?

I saw Carlton at a free shopping mall gig(believe it or not) in Concord, CA this spring and he was sounding great with his 335 and a Twin Reverb.
Huge crowd and they loved him, too... and they were clearly not all guitar players either.. of course the biggest crowd responses were probably for his smooth jazz hits.
Frosty

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been listening to this CD all this week. As a diehard Carlton fan for over 20 years, I think this is one of his best. It is not up to the level of "Last Nite" in my opinion, but his tone is stunning and the passion is there in spades! Two thumbs WAY up!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: