Robben Ford Discussion :: View topic - Why so many different guitars are used
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through this link.
Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index

Robben Ford Discussion
The Official Robben Ford Discussion Group

www.RobbenFord.com
All Access Pass

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why so many different guitars are used

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hipbluescat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:42 am    Post subject: Why so many different guitars are used Reply with quote

Hi

If you look at the last few years Robben really plays a bunch of vintage guitars with his Dumble and a super reverb.

The Fender Elite based guitars are simply not used anymore. I wonder why he walked away from that style of guitar!

I wonder why he has used so many different guitars over the years?
jconstant

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Why so many different guitars are used Reply with quote

hipbluescat wrote:

The Fender Elite based guitars are simply not used anymore. I wonder why he walked away from that style of guitar!

Robben told me he loved the RF Model guitar (the MIJ version) and he just played it so much that he eventually "played it away".

I'm guessing that over time as he's tried new stuff he's found a few new things that he likes and just gone with it because he can.
frank0936

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 6:07 am    Post subject: The Elite Reply with quote

There's a thread (I believe on Daved's page) about Robben leaving Fender. He had requested some changes in the model and Fender was supposedly unwilling to make them, so Robben found someone who would make the changes that he felt were needed.
dugjustdug

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Why so many different guitars used Reply with quote

I was at the Seattle clinic this past Saturday (which was great - btw!) and Robben said he uses his 1960 Tele for about 50% of his work. He says he loves that thing! He also mentioned not using the Baker for a while, but, that he just dusted it off recently, so, who knows...
follow_the_music

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a Baker on ebay a few weeks ago which was said it belonged to Robben Ford, but I lost the link and could not find it anymore.
Although I am more of a strat player, I love my MIJ Esprit models. They are quite cheap until now. And they are fantastic sounding guitars after you change the bridge and the PUs.
frank0936

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 4:50 am    Post subject: Esprit Reply with quote

I love my Esprit, too. What bridge did you put in?
Frank
follow_the_music

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Schaller makes the ABR bridges, but I'm not sure. Next time I change strings, I will look. As I remember I ordered it from different suppliers, because the Esprit Standard needed one in chrome, the Ultra has golden hardware, so I had to get a golden one.
Everybody talks about "tone pros", they should be really good. But I never tried.
Thomas
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: