Robben Ford Discussion :: View topic - G>A>S Attack!!!
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through this link.
Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index

Robben Ford Discussion
The Official Robben Ford Discussion Group

www.RobbenFord.com
All Access Pass

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

G>A>S Attack!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndyR

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:48 am    Post subject: G>A>S Attack!!! Reply with quote

I just got my new "VOCE Micro-B II" organ module from the UPS depot:

http://www.voceinc.com/art/microb2.gif

I am using my vintage DX7 as a MIDI controller.

This thing is LIGHT YEARS beyond the organ presets I was using from the
DX7 and the cheapo (but great sounding) Yamaha digital keyboard that I use for piano.

I had tried to program the DX7 to get different organ sounds, but out of 20 or so voices I programmed, only 2 or 3 sound any good...and the programming process is EXTREMELY tedious!!! Mad

Well, no more...the Micro-B II SCREAMS!!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

It's got overdrive, key click, percussion, leslie/vibrato/chorus effects (that's all organ talk).

What I've lost is my volume pedal function; I also want to be able to vary the rotatation rate on the leslie/rotor effect via the MOD wheel on the DX7; being able to speed up/slow down the rotating speaker effect is one of the classic B3 sounds. Guess I'll learn some MORE about MIDI. Crying or Very sad

As you can see in the pic, there's a "slow/fast" switch for the rotor effect; however if I'm playing a full, two-fisted chord, I can't press the button! (maybe I could do it with my nose Laughing )

And for inspiration I picked up Jimmy Smith's "Root Down" and " Brother Jack McDuff LIVE!!!"

http://www.djouls.com/jazz/images/Jimmy_Smith-Root_Down_b.jpg
http://www.peanutsjazz.com/recording-images/8958.jpg

Guitar Players...LOOK OUT!!! Shocked Cool Shocked

Andy
JohnnyZ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yabbut, Andy, can you get Robben's tone out of that thing? Can you make it sound like a Dumble? Does using the Zendrive make you want to sell all of your other pedals on ebay? Shocked Confused Very Happy Laughing Cool
AndyR

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: "Liberace Syndrome" Reply with quote

J the Z wrote:

Quote:
Yabbut, Andy, can you get Robben's tone out of that thing? Can you make it sound like a Dumble? Does using the Zendrive make you want to sell all of your other pedals on ebay

Well, no.

But I can sound a bit like Rosoce Beck. Laughing

But with my new toy, hopefully I won't suffer from "Liberace Syndrome."

Someone (probably Jerry Lee Lewis) once said of Liberace, "He's pretty good on the piano...but he sucks on the organ!" Mad Mad Mad

Guess he didn't have a Micro-B II.

Smile

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: