Robben Ford Discussion :: View topic - Ideas for Robben's "inner circle fan site"
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through this link.
Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index

Robben Ford Discussion
The Official Robben Ford Discussion Group

www.RobbenFord.com
All Access Pass

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ideas for Robben's "inner circle fan site"
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anne
Robben Connection

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Ideas for Robben's "inner circle fan site" Reply with quote

Hello, Everyone,
We are considering the possibility of adding a dues-paying "members-only gold club" to the web site that would offer special features which would only be accessable to members. We have been brainstorming as to what those special features (and swag and such) might be for this members club, and thought I would ask on this message board to find out what ideas you might have. We are thinking of the club membership having a yearly fee to belong. Would be interested to hear your thoughts about what kinds of perks you might find interesting, within reason of course.
Thanks,
Anne
PierreL

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that seems like a good idea. The first thing which comes to my mind would be some downloadable live shows, much like in the vein of what Wayne Krantz does : http://www.waynekrantz.com/newWebsite/nonFlash_index.htm
Another thing might some questions and answers sessions with Robben.
Millibobs

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:17 am    Post subject: ideas Reply with quote

I would certainly wish to subscribe. How about:

1. Concert pics that are more exclusive, include backstage (like 'backstage pass'?)

2. Lesser known facts for us tone geeks - specific hints and tips to help us get closer without having to buy a Dumble!

3. MP3 samples - might be some licensing issues with this though....

4. Robben's blog - the intimate ramblings of a guitar giant!

5. Fashion and makeup advice......just kidding......

6. Elite 'swag' as you refer to it - maybe discounted versions of more widely available products including teaching aids etc. Otherwise, it would be prestigious to have relatively unique paraphernalia that only inner circle members owned (bearing in mind that then you'd end up with a secondary market with people selling stuff on - but that's not so bad really)

7. First choice for clinics - won't help me as I'm too far away!

8. Special features and articles about the history of Robben's guitars and amps etc. I know there is a lot of stuff out there, but it would be great to have a handy reference source to plunder that is overseen by the man himself (and his tremendous support team of course...)

9. Periodic live webcam discussion - don't know how workable that would be...but wow, what a thought....

10. Life in the studio - how Robben goes about the recording process and some blogging about current projects. People are interested in miking, amp choices, layouts, drums, bass, the production process itself.

11. Tab/lyrics pages - again, maybe some licensing issues......

12. I'm getting obsessive now, so I'm off to do some real work or maybe record a Robben tribute song......I'll come back with more ideas later

Sorry if this got a little long and boring!

David
Zhurh

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started listening to Robben's cd's a just few years back, stimulated by getting back into guitar after many years away. I think I have all his dvd's available, they are sure good; wish there were more out there.

Any topics (guitar player related) would interest me as my location also limits accessibility via dish or web site.
frank0936

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: perks Reply with quote

Hi Anne,
I would really be interested in joining that club! I like the idea of downloadable shows. Robben rarely makes it this far South, and I've never seen him live except at a workshop. I also think that Robben is an excellent teacher and he seems to enjoy it. Maybe some members only articles like the ones he did for Guitar Player? I know his time is limited for Q&A sessions, but maybe he could do a FAQ and answer some of the things that pop up over and over.
Thanks for asking,
Frank
maxima

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: " inner circle" Reply with quote

Anne,

it would be nice to have a backstage pass as part of a members privilege.
also could we hire Robben to maybe do a concert somewhere in the middle of the country(USA) where we could all come to and meet & greet all our fellow fans and see Robben?
Very Happy
I think we all share such a great admiration of Robben and his work.

hey Robben do you remember my RBN FRD license plate??

maxima
Leftbender

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A wonderful initiative , Anne.
I think most real fans would like to get in contact with their hero. So, organized meet-and-greets after concerts would be nice. Also the possibility to get in contact with him on a restricted part of the forum would be very valuable. I believe these things could be arranged in a way that they can be satisfying for all parties.
Jon07

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea of a pay-to-access section very much depends on what is actually available. Maybe it's just my interpretation, but Robben seems to be a very private person, and the idea of fans clamouring for more and more information and access to him doesn't necessarily mean that it is welcomed.

Is there that much information about Robben, his music, equipment etc which is currently unavailable but which WOULD be available through this part of the site? Robben doesn't strike me as the sort of person who is inclined to spend time on chat forums talking to his fans (and why should he? - the Scott Henderson forum has 'ask Scott' threads which he contributes to once in a while but you can't help feeling that it's a bit of a chore for the artist having to answer the endless 'have you tried xxxx amp and what did you think?' questions). From a technical point-of-view Daved seems to make himself available as much as he is able with info on equipment and tours.

If Robben WAS happy to make himself available regularly for a bit of chat, a blog or mini lessons, or there was content such as clips, photos, movies which are not currently available, it would be a great idea.

Hope this didn't come across as too negative Embarassed
Millibobs

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon07, that makes my response look a bit OTT.....I was working on the principle that since Anne raised the idea in the first place, it is something Robben approves of at least in principle. However many wild card ideas we throw in, Robben will get to make the call as to what actually happens. I do agree with many of your points regarding Robben's privacy (we make him sound like the Pope!) but of course, a lot of the actual work in providing input to a 'special members' area can still be carried out by Robben's technical and admin people - hope that latter term isn't seen as derogatory!

The general idea is great and this healthy debate will hopefully lead things in a directon that helps Anne with her enquiries. I didn't see your comments as being in any way negative - just sounds like someone who cares about the man. I'm a newcomer to all things Robben, but already, I have this feeling that I've known him a long time.....

This is such a good forum!
roadwarriorfortheblues

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Advance purchase/preferred seating for concerts would be nice. After concert meet and greet opportunity also good idea. Membership fee could be bundled with new album price for purchases made directly from Robben's online store. Online option to have new cd autographed.

Online lessons. Online tab for signature licks. Backtracks.

Online blog... especially during tour, including set lists, special guest appearances, backstage banter, general feelings about the show, venue, crowd. Photos or video clips. Streaming audio from recent performances.
PierreL

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Backing tracks...now that would be cool !
jconstant

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Anne,

What a fantastic idea for Robben’s fans!

Let’s see….dinner with you and Robben would be lovely. My treat.

Seriously though, here are some thoughts:

1 - I would like to see some downloadable recordings that aren’t available elsewhere. Rough cuts of a song or two from a project Robben is working on (like Truth, for example). Or just live recording from shows.

2 - A blog would be very nice, but honestly, I think a lot of artists just do that and don’t require that you be a member of the club. Regardless, I enjoy the ‘behind the scenes’ stuff like Daved often posts.

3 - Backing tracks of Robben’s songs!

4 - SWAG is definitely a good thing.

5 - PDF’s of Robben’s song charts

6 - Did I mention backing tracks?

7 - Video clips of performances

8 - Video clips of 5 or 10 minute lessons given by Robben. This wouldn’t even need to be some big production, just a home video camera and Robben talking about and demonstrating a particular musical subject.

9 - Not sure how this would work but perhaps every once in a great while somebody could have an opportunity to have a private lesson with Robben.

Fortunately, for the fans at least, Robben plays smaller venues so I wouldn’t be too excited about preferred seating because that’s rarely a problem.

And Robben is also great about being available for meet and greets after shows (as long as you’re willing to wait in line). I’d be surprised if he, or the band, would be into having fans back stage after a show, but if they’re really okay with it, it would be enjoyable. If they weren’t I think it might just be uncomfortable.

Hope this helps. I realize some ideas probably won’t be possible. But if you don’t ask, how will you ever know, right?

And I love the new web site! Something like this would make it that much better.

Jim
JohnnyZ

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>> Advance purchase/preferred seating for concerts would be nice. After concert meet and greet opportunity also good idea.

Advance purchase, preferred seating, and meet-and-greet are definitely my 1st choices. Lots of other great suggestions such as backing tracks and group audio/video chat sessions.

Here's a new one- how about a clothes auction? I would certainly love to buy that flashy yellow suit! (I know, quite an absurdity. Just kidding, of course!)

And, how about some goodies as part of the membership joining such as a t-shirt, autographed 8x10 photo, and some guitar picks...

JohnnyZ
edpesco

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyZ wrote:
[i
Here's a new one- how about a clothes auction? I would certainly love to buy that flashy yellow suit! (I know, quite an absurdity. Just kidding, of course!)

Great idea! I would like to buy some used stockings!
Millibobs

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed, stop that, before you go too far......!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: