Robben Ford Discussion :: View topic - Neil Larsen CD: Orbit
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through this link.
Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index

Robben Ford Discussion
The Official Robben Ford Discussion Group

www.RobbenFord.com
All Access Pass

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Neil Larsen CD: Orbit
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sfhalo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Neil Larsen CD: Orbit Reply with quote

Early this morning, I sent a message to Staright Ahead Records adn asked about the purchase availability date for the new Neil Larsen CD, Orbit, with Robben on guitar. The owner, Paul Grundman, sent me the following reply a few minutes ago:

"Hello Adrian,
Thank You for your interest!
We are currently in production for the LP & CD-Redbook release. We're scheduled for 6/07 but it seems late June at this point for the CD and June/early July for the LP.
It will be available through our site, online vendors in US/Overseas and select stores to start."

I thought everyone on the message board would be interested and now that I've been added to their mailing list, will be sure to pass along another message as soon as I hear that the CD is ready to be shipped.
PierreL

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for this cool info.
From what I read on their site, they release standard CD and DVD Audio in the same package ? That would be rather nice.
sfhalo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who may not have been to the Straight Ahead Records website, here's a link to the Orbit CD:

http://www.straightaheadrecords.com/titles_html/new_release.html
Bill Morgan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Orbit Reply with quote

This is the album I posted a message about last year. Just so everyone knows, the test pressings for the vinyl just came back, and the parts for the CD should be ready in a few days. Hopefully the CD will be out in a few weeks. Having heard both the digital and analog versions of this album I'm pretty sure everyone here is gonna love it.

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
JohnnyZ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the response that I received yesterday from Paul Grundman, Managing Director of Straight Ahead Records, after I emailed him asking for an update of the status of Orbit:

Hi John,
We're just as anxious! Thank You for your interest. It'll hopefully help to know that we had to re-cut the cd-master (at the duplication plant) again because it didn't meet with our sonic standards the first time. We made sure that the Glass master was cut directly from the CD-Master at 1x speed. After we received the 2nd test, it was unanimously approved. We're in production now and expect to take delivery within this month.
Thank You again!
Paul
sfhalo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This morning, I received the following notice from Straight Ahead Records concerning the new Neil Larsen CD, "Orbit", featuring Robben, Jimmy Haslip, & Tom Brechtlein:

"Greetings Music Lovers. Greetings Sonic Aficionados-
our apologies for the simple looking news "letter"

Its been a wild ride getting this album finished... We've tried to release this album for about 2 months and NOW ITS HERE! 1 day before Co-Founder Bernie Grundman and Paul (Managing Director) leave to embark on a promotional trip to Japan & China for the latest Straight Ahead Records 2007 release!

Bernie will be doing some interviews and signing some copies at the Hong Kong Show and were very excited that

The SAR web site will offer sales in the future and will look and act 100 times better but for now we ask that you choose from one of the many online vendors if you are in US and if not, please whine to your reseller to carry us!!!!

Acoustic Sounds
Elusive Disk
Cd Universe
Music Direct
The Music

These are authorized resellers in the U.S. and they should have shipment within a week or so- We're trying to get all of the shipments out asap but we have a lot to do!

Thank You so much for your patience. Please enjoy this great album and check out the title Demonette and this version of Jungle Fever!

Just so you know the specifics

"Release" DATE IS AUGUST 1st!

CD is in our warehouse
LP is literally on the press right now! It'll be cooling and then packaged to ship by the weeks end so I URGE you to do pre-orders with those that are offering!

Thanks everyone, we're also making beautiful shirts we'll be selling and you'll be able to buy the cd on the Merch table at Gregg Allman shows when Neil tours this summer/fall

-Straight Ahead Records"

Note: I ordered my copy from Acoustic Sounds where I located the "pre-order" for Orbit easily.........Adrian
PierreL

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the update.
I just pre-ordered it on Elusive Disc.
Still don't know if it will be a CD only or CD + DVD Audio.
Anyway the CD alone is already very cool.
JohnnyZ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PierreL wrote:
Thanks a lot for the update.
I just pre-ordered it on Elusive Disc.
Still don't know if it will be a CD only or CD + DVD Audio.
Anyway the CD alone is already very cool.

And, Elusive Disc is a buck less than the other sources listed, plus free shipping for 1st-time customers! (Click on the free shipping icon to learn how.)
PierreL

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the CD this morning.
Could listen to it only once unfortunately, but it seems to sound good.
I remember that Bill Morgan felt that some bits he had heard had a Jing Chi feel to them, and if that can be said for one or two tracks, most of them are rather 70's fusion styled.
The guitar tones do not sound like the Dumble. Again Bill mentioned a Zendrive and a Fender Super at the time, and that sounds like it : good, but not the fatness of the Dumble.
There is also a nice almost straight ahead jazz solo by Robben on one tune.
This one will need several listening sessions I'm sure.
JohnnyZ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>> I remember that Bill Morgan felt that some bits he had heard had a Jing Chi feel to them, and if that can be said for one or two tracks, most of them are rather 70's fusion styled.

Exactly my feeling, also. Definitely no James Taylor... Laughing

I also noticed that the sound quality through my crappy work PC speakers is much better than any other cds I play. I can't wait to hear this cd through some decent equipment...
PierreL

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I listen to it, the better it seems to be !
Definitely a classy CD : great tunes, great playing, great sound... And of course Robben plays really well throughout.
JohnnyZ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I can't recall any other cd ever sounding as clear and spatial as this one! You feel like you're sitting right in the middle of these musicians. And, as Pierre said, it gets better the more you listen!

Although I'm not a big fan of jazz fusion, the quality of this recording just draws me in. IMHO, it's a 10 out of 10!
sfhalo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I like the Truth CD..............Orbit is just fantastic!........a great band (Neil Larsen, Robben, Tom Brechtlein, Jimmy Haslip, Gary Meek on sax, & Lee Thornburg on trumpet........and Robben's playing is awesome.....both lead & rhythm. The Tiger Walk CD has always been one of my favorites and I saw Robben play at The Belly Up Tavern in Solana Beach, CA when it was first released. I really fell in love with Robben's "fusion" playing after seeing him and, though I love the blues, actually prefer to hear him play other forms of music. When I listened to the clips from Orbit on the Internet, I didn't really expect to like the CD as much as I do. But...........this is great music, wonderful musicianship, & Robben is at the "top of his game!" The music on Orbit is not what I would call "fusion"......much more "straight-ahead" jazz/blues. If you are a jazz fan....you'll fall in love with the CD and be mighty glad you bought it. And, as board member JohnnyZ mentioned, the quality of the recording is incredible........Straight Ahead Records gets a big pat on the back for their attention to detail when it comes to the technical side of the recording.......great sound separation, perfect sound levels, everything is crystal clear............one of the best recordings I've ever heard. As it turned out, I bought mine at Elusive Disc (www.elusivedisc.com)..........great price & free shipping for first-time customers. As you can tell, I highly recommend this CD.
sfhalo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent a copy of my previous post to the owners of Straight Ahead Records and thought all of the technical audiophiles on this discussion board would like to read the response I received:

"By the way...was checking the very ambitious message board and can confirm some questions: I remember seeing a Fender Amp , quite possibly a super- not sure what was "inside" or what mods if any were done . We used some beautiful Coles Ribbon Mics.... very crafty spacing and positioning- that credit goes to Scott Sedillo; one of the BGM crew and our engineer for the SAR recordings- His Live mixing during these performances is key- no doubt his familiarity is also attributed to when he does the LA Opera on weekends at Disney Hall. He's a very talented sound engineer as well as technician at BGM. Along with Beno May (technician and chief sound designer) whom has designed all the the equipment we use to record. Basically Beno and Scott make everything we use except the microphones and cable (we order specially made cable)... all the way to the power supplies. We make everything we use - our A/D converters (when used for digital) are never stock. We record 3 formats simultaneously. Tape, 16/44.1khz and 24/96khz using proprietary methods - we make it so each feed isn't "multed" from the source. No down sampling. Ever. If this is all over your head, or any of it is, just know that everything is pure and unadulterated compared to recording studios. We don't have pieces of gear limiting or compressing anything. We "ride" all of the equipment as the musicians are performing. Its a blast to behold a session.

Best Regards, Paul"

As I mentioned, the recording of Orbit is fantastic and you can see why.....these guys really know what they're doing.

I hope that those of you who bought the CD love it as much as I do.
frank0936

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:11 am    Post subject: Orbit Reply with quote

Mine's on the way.
Frank
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: