Robben Ford Discussion :: View topic - Robben's tones on the Talk To Your Daughter CD....
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through this link.
Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index

Robben Ford Discussion
The Official Robben Ford Discussion Group

www.RobbenFord.com
All Access Pass

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Robben's tones on the Talk To Your Daughter CD....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hottub

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Robben's tones on the Talk To Your Daughter CD.... Reply with quote

For example....on songs like Talk To Your Daughter and Born Under A Bad Sign....aside from being Robben himself.....what do you think it would take, gear wise, to get close to those type tones. Has anyone on the forum tried? Here's my current set up....a Fuchs ODS50 with either a single TR12-65 TwoRock cab or a 2x12 Avatar cab with a pair of TR12-65's. My guitar is a 59RI with a pair of Timbuckers EdA wind.
While I really enjoy the tones I'm getting from this rig, I just don't think I'm getting close, gain wise, to those two songs. Certainly not looking to get rid of my Fuchs head, so I thought maybe some answers lye in speaker and pickup combinations. I'm more or less just curious to see if I can get close at this point.
Ian Hurtt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm....the Fuchs is a Dumble-style amp and has a ton of gain on tap. You shouldn't have an issue getting enough gain, but there is an internal trim pot (IIRC) that you can adjust to get more gain. Give Andy a buzz and ask him.
WattsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, you've probably read this before but he uses Celestion G12-65's through marshall cabs. im not sure but i think they are birch cabinets. as far as gain goes, its not as much as you may think. play around with your amp gain, you guitar volume and your picking attack and you should be able to find a similar gain without going into fuilthy, heavy overdrive, which i'm sure your fuchs can do with the bat of an eyelid. i keep my OCD below half gain to get similar overdrive
Aeolian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my Fuchs, when I want that saturated Talk to Your Daughter type of sound, I add the mid boost. Some folks like using the gain boost. That is what Robben is doing with his Dumble, both OD channel and the gain boost/tone stack bypass.

I read somewhere that the Dumble tone stack bypass is not a complete bypass. So the various takes on the Dumble circuit probably have varying amounts of bypass. My Fuchs doesn't change much at all with the bypass, Robben's Dumble seems to jump a bit and go into a nice crunch tone. I sat in on Volker Strifler's Two Rock once and that bypass just about knocked me over. A big jump that he uses for lead/comping changeovers. I had plugged my Zendrive into it and the combination of the Zen and the bypass was incredible sounding but way too loud.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: