Robben Ford Discussion :: View topic - 3 Zendrives on stage
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through this link.
Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index

Robben Ford Discussion
The Official Robben Ford Discussion Group

www.RobbenFord.com
All Access Pass

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3 Zendrives on stage
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edpesco

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: 3 Zendrives on stage Reply with quote

In May we had a nice concert at my place here in Austria with 3 board members: henkholland, telefunk and myself, each of us using Zendrives for OD sounds. It was a wonderful experience that virtual friends from around the world became flesh and bone and made music together. Just in case anyone is being bored by other topics you can listen to some of the songs on the mp3s section of my website www.soultingo.at

And maybe then you will unveal the secret of Robben's photo shyness: compare a pic of me from the Pluhd Zuckr section which were shot 2 years ago with a new one and count the wrinkles and now make a projection to how many there will be in 4 years, that's how much older Robben is... sorry, just an idea...

Anyway, there will be no more pics published before I learned how to touch up photos Shocked
PierreL

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool Ed, very cool !

But you know , next time... I will have to be here !!!
JohnnyZ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff, Edmund, Eric, and Henk!

And Edmund, stop worrying about photos. We're all getting older by the minute, so who cares! Besides, I can't figure out who's who. Perhaps you can pick a certain photo and make introductions...

Again, great music, all of you. Also, very nice website...
edpesco

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pierre and Johnny. Mavbe next time...
Henk is the one with the most radical haircut with the RF signature, followed by Eric with Tele and goatie. Thanks to the beneficial invention of hairwaving I am the one with the most hair of us though I'm the oldest Laughing Now spot the one with plastic surgery!
JohnnyZ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edpesco wrote:
Thanks Pierre and Johnny. Mavbe next time...
Henk is the one with the most radical haircut with the RF signature, followed by Eric with Tele and goatie. Thanks to the beneficial invention of hairwaving I am the one with the most hair of us though I'm the oldest Laughing Now spot the one with plastic surgery!

Now I'm really confused, although Eric with the Tele is the easiest one to spot!

I'm still impressed with such a get together from long distance forum members.

Wouldn't it be great to do the same but on a grander scale? I got it! How about a "Live Forum"?! With Robben, of course!!! USA-East, USA-West, Europe-North, Europe-South, Australia, Japan/East Asia, and any other interested region, all techno-linked together! What a Blues jam that would be! Maybe this should go in the "Robben's inner circle fan site" suggestion list?!
JohnnyZ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I embarassed to say that I almost forgot to include Esteban. Inexcusable...
nineacres

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed, please convey my congratulations to Hermann for the amazing harp playing - I thoroughly enjoyed it. There was one point where I thought I was listening to Blues Traveller! Who was playing The Stumble? This may sound like a "left-handed compliment" but I particularly admired his capability of getting out of awkward situations, if you know what I mean. The whole outfit sounded very professional. Any chance of a CD?
edpesco

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nineacres wrote:
Ed, please convey my congratulations to Hermann for the amazing harp playing - I thoroughly enjoyed it. There was one point where I thought I was listening to Blues Traveller! Who was playing The Stumble? This may sound like a "left-handed compliment" but I particularly admired his capability of getting out of awkward situations, if you know what I mean. The whole outfit sounded very professional. Any chance of a CD?

thanks, I will tell Hermann. The Stumble was me and Eric in between. It was the opening tune and my thoughts were always somewhere else. That's why I played too many chorusses because I always hoped I could play a good one with inspiration but the good lord wasn't willing Very Happy
send me your name and adress for a CD, you can have a DVD video also if you like.

Edmund
telefunk1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes - you put the Stumble up there?!! Talk about not being warmed up (time change/jet lag, strange equipment, too much beer the night before...the list goes on). I was lucky to end up in the same key as everyone else!

Yes, Edmund has the most hair - and the most guitars. Is there a correlation there perhaps?

This was an incredible experience - to meet and play with fellow RF board members, (who are just great people overall), play with Hermann, who is a great player (and what fun to talk with him about our mutal love of harp players like Little Walter and Sonny Boy Williamson), and to play with Edmund's band, who are all terrific guys and went the extra mile (kilometer, I guess) to make me feel welcome. The venue was great, excellent sound and lights, and the crowd was amazing: appreciative and knowledgable. It just amazes me that a European audience is so into blues, and is so appreciative. The place was packed.

I must say that Edmund treated me like a king - he and his family were so generous and open to this strange Texan who they only knew through this web site. And I totally agree with JZ that we, as a community, need to do these things more often - get together and play and talk. Our respect and admiration for RF brought Edmund, Henk and me together, but our experience playing and talking (and drinking, of course) went way beyond this. Just great fun and I cannot thank these two gentlemen enough for the experience!

And yes, there really were 3 Zen's going at once...
PierreL

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you came all the way from good ole Texas to Austria ? That's really great !
Must have been quite an experience indeed, I'm sure Ed made you comfortable.
telefunk1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, and it only took about two years to arrange! Seriously, Edmund and I have been talking about doing this for quite some time. Fortunately, a combination of work travel, holiday, and other factors worked in my favor and I as able to make it over there - and Edmund was able to secure a gig for us during that time.
henkholland

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: 3x zen Reply with quote

telefunk1 wrote:

Yes, Edmund has the most hair - and the most guitars. Is there a correlation there perhaps?

In that case Robben should have quite a lot and I only 1 ;-) And what about Frank Gambale?

Actualy I recenty bought me a new guitar. The same Tele (baja) Telefunk1 was playing that night. I was really impressed by his natural playing. Especially because he (almost) needed no Zendrive to have a great sound. Just the the guitar, the amp and his fingers. Yes, it was very nice to meet each other. Thanks to edpesco who made it happen.
Henk
marinblues

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,

that sounded really cool and pro!

Next time, invite me over, Austria is just down the road from where I am. ;)

Marin
edpesco

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric, it was a such pleasure having the prince of Texas blues over here, that's why the king-treatment. It was so nice to have you and Henk (who is one of the nicest persons on this planet) around to play with the both of you and Hermann, also my band appreciated this brilliant event (as they said "fulminant" in German) and we had the best audience ever. I got so many compliments and mails after the concert, this never happened before to such an extent and people really loved you. One of them said it was evident that Eric is not from our region, he sounded so different - a nice circumscription for better.

correlation between hair and guitars: there must be some truth in this theory: since I stopped buying guitars my hair lightens dramatically...

Marin: thanks for the compliment but you are much too good a player to become invited :-) but if you agree to tape your index and ring finger - my place is only 4 hours away from Milano

Laughing
edpesco

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyZ wrote:

I'm still impressed with such a get together from long distance forum members.

Wouldn't it be great to do the same but on a grander scale? I got it! How about a "Live Forum"?! With Robben, of course!!! USA-East, USA-West, Europe-North, Europe-South, Australia, Japan/East Asia, and any other interested region, all techno-linked together! What a Blues jam that would be! Maybe this should go in the "Robben's inner circle fan site" suggestion list?!

Nice idea Johnny, but the REAL good thing about it all was besides the music - meeting in reality, TALK-eat-drink (only a little bit, not like Eric exaggerated) spend time together and make music eye to eye - ear to ear. And, for me, the wonderful experience was to have 3 guitar players on stage and no ego overload at all. Everybody listened to everybody. Some moments of real collective improvisation.

Edmund
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: