Robben Ford Discussion :: View topic - drifting blues record?
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through this link.
Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index

Robben Ford Discussion
The Official Robben Ford Discussion Group

www.RobbenFord.com
All Access Pass

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

drifting blues record?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dboudah

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: drifting blues record? Reply with quote

In the early 1980's a friend of mine lent me a live tape of Robben playing drifting blues (drifting and drifting). I thought it was recorded at a new york club with the "Inside Story" band but I could be wrong. Anyway, the blues guitar solo was one of the best I have ever heard! Does anyone know where this recording might be available. Is there any recording of Robben playing drifting blues in that time period.

Any info will make me an extremely happy man!

thanks
AndyR

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google, and ye shall find:

http://www.crosscut.de/eng/artists/_charles_ford_band.htm

Smile

Andy
FatTeleTom

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it's also available directly from Pat Ford's label:

http://www.bluerockit.com/albums/asrealasitgets.shtml
dboudah

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:34 am    Post subject: drifting blues record Reply with quote

I appreciate the quick response. I just bought this CD and it is not the version I was looking for. The version I am talking about was a live performance I think with the "inside story" band. The blues guitar solo on this song is the best I have EVER heard. Any other info on recordings of this song are greatly appreciated.
AndyR

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: Sorry about that, Chief Reply with quote

dboudah wrote:
Quote:
I just bought this CD and it is not the version I was looking for.

Man, I HATE when that happens !!! Mad Mad Mad

One time I bought a Bobby Caldwell CD for the top 40 hit, "What You Won't Do For Love," but it turned out to be some cheesy version.

Then another time, I bought a rock anthology CD for Sugarloaf's, "Green Eyed Lady," and that turned out to be the chopped-up version they play on the radio. Crying or Very sad

Speaking of chopped-up songs, I was listening to a local, Clear Channel-owned, classic rock station, to Van Morrison's "Brown Eyed Girl," and noticed that they had COMPLETELY cut out the lyric, "...making love in the green grass..." and replaced it with a previous lyric !!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Are they even ALLOWED to do that???

(I only do it when I can't remember the words at open mike night!) Laughing

Andy
Daved
Robben Connection

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,
Isn't it SOOOO annoying when they do that kinda thing?

I've found in my CD (and DVDs too, for that matter) purchasing, that you really have to do your research before laying down your hard earned $$$.

After buying a copy of Savoy Brown's "Hellbound Train" CD a couple of years ago and then settling in for a listen, I was extremely unnerved to find that the title song's pounding guitar solo was at the end faded out rather than built up to the classic abrupt stop that any S.B. fan knows and expects.
Upon further research, I found that (at that time anyway) all available CD editions of the song were ruined that same way, except for one version in an expensive multi disc "compilation" set. Who knows what the CD editor could possibly have been thnking? Did he/she, in their flawed arrogance, think that they were improving the song?!?!?

Perhaps it is available now as a proper edition of the album, and if so I would love to pick up a copy, but I am a bit leery about buying it again till I actually hear or have reassurance that it is the correct/unedited ending.

"This boy's diseased with rhythm!" -Bing Crosby (Road To Rio, '49)
Daved
Robben Connection

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S.....

BTW, Johnny, you mentioned a "Bobby Caldwell". Brings to mind an interesting tale:

I don't know if you are familiar with a band called "Captain Beyond" from the early seventies. They produced an awesome, one-of-a-kind, powerhouse self titled debut album on the Capricorn lable which is still readily available.

The band consisted of ex-Iron Butterfly members, Lee Dorman (bass) & Rhino (guitar), plus Deep Purple's original volcalist, Rod Evans. Each of them musicians of whom I was very familiar and highly admired.
The drummer, however, was someone I had never heard of... a guy named Bobby Caldwell.

I bought the album on the strength of the other members and the fact that the original issue LP jacket had a 3D photo of the Captain Beyond character reaching out to you from outer space. LOL!
I still have my copy and it is now a valuable, much sought after, collector's item.

Anyway, I got it home, put it on the turntable, and was blown away with an incredibly well written and performed rock concept piece, segueing from movement to movement. But what really got me was the drumming on the album, tasteful, sometimes almost simplistic, but always dead on to perfectly accenting, driving, tying together, and bringing to life what the other performers were doing. Exclamation Shocked Exclamation

Studying the information printed on the cover and knowing the musical capabilities and expertise of most of the band's personnel, I discovered (to my amazement) that the entire album had been written by the drummer!!!!

This album, to this day, is one of my top 'desert island' picks.

I, of course, bought their next release, "Sufficently Breathless" (again with very cool packaging) and was surprised to learn that there had been personnel changes with the addition of a keyboardist and percussionist, but most significantly, disappointed to find that Bobby Caldwell had left the band.
The music had obviously morphed into something a little different (still enjoyable, but definitely a different animal, losing much of the 'genius' aspect of the first album), now being written entirely by Lee Dorman (an excellent writer in his own right).

By the 3rd album, all original members were gone and everything distinctively creative about the band was gone.

Anyway, as the years went by, I watched for other works by Bobby Caldwell and, in recent years (with the advent of the internet), discovered there was quite an extensive catalogue of BC material. Imagine my disappointment as my excitement flew right out the window when I discovered it was a different Bobby Caldwell, a singer doing a whole different schtick... almost lounge. Crying or Very sad This is probably the BC that you were speaking of in your post. A fine performer at his own thing, but NOT what I was expecting to find from the BC that I was seeking.

However... as an interesting afternote... I noticed way back when, that at the bottom of the backside of the original Captain Beyond album cover there was a note, "Dedicated to the memory of Berry Oakley", which never made any sense to me, as there was nothing musically, nor in any other way, a connection to the Allman Brothers Band.

Until last year, out on tour with the ABB, at a show in Florida, when Greggory introduced me to a man in attendence backstage ("...one of my longest and best friends...", Gregg told me) named Bobby Caldwell!!!
I think Gregg was as stunned to discover what a huge fan I was of Bobby's, as I was to find that Gregg even knew of this man and the band, Captain Beyond. Laughing

Bobby proved to be a very open, curteous, and friendly person. And it was a literal thrill for me to meet him after all these 30+ years of being a fan.
Bobby told me that he is still in touch with members of Captain Beyond ("I just spoke with Rod Evans on the phone the other night...") and that there is discussion of a possible reformation of the original band sometime in the near future.
If that happens, believe me, I will be following their every move!

And there you have MY long-winded Bobby Caldwell story. Wink

telefunk1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caldwell was also the drummer on Johnny Winter And Live - one of the great live albums of all time. Check out the drum intro with Johnny screaming in the background. Sends chills every time. Rick Derringer, too, gave Johnny a run for his money. This was a seminal LP when I was starting out - two guitars, bass and drums. Rock and Roll, indeed!
telefunk1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caldwell was also the drummer on Johnny Winter And Live - one of the great live albums of all time. Check out the drum intro with Johnny screaming in the background. Sends chills every time. Rick Derringer, too, gave Johnny a run for his money. This was a seminal LP when I was starting out - two guitars, bass and drums. Rock and Roll, indeed!
Daved
Robben Connection

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Thanx, Tele.

I am quite familiar with the Johnny Winter / And / Rick Derringer stuff, but actually own very little of it (though I have always wanted to, but needed just that extra little push of incentive to break down and do it... now I believe I have it) and therefore was unaware of the Bobby Caldwell connection.

Looks like there will be some JW & RD purchases coming up soon in my near future.

Thanx again for the heads-up! Wink

Bluelobster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Johnny Winter Reply with quote

Telefunk you are the man.
Semi,nal/
rock'nroll
Smile
telefunk1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daved - by all means get the JW And Live cd - and crank it up. And if you want more Derringer, get the Edgar Winter's White Trash Live CD, too. RD really cuts loose, JW make a guest appearance, and the great vocals of Jerry LaCroix and Edgar W are just outstanding. Must have been something in the water down in Beaumont to make these white boys sing like that...

Blob - glad to have you back!
bluejack

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy is this thread drifting. But Daved ,you 're bringing back some memories with that Captain Beyond story. I too have the album with the 3D pic- the same copy i bought all those years ago. Minor point but mine says' Dedicated to the Memory of Duane Allman' Also looking back at my ticket stubs i remember seeing them on a bill with Wishbone Ash at The Warehouse in NO. $4 in 1972 . Pretty heady stuff for a 15 or 16 year old.
Dboudan, best of luck finding the version your seeking.
Dancing Madly Backwards,
J
Daved
Robben Connection

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluejack wrote:
Boy is this thread drifting.

LOL... Yeah, but isn't it fun?

bluejack wrote:
Minor point but mine says' Dedicated to the Memory of Duane Allman'

Ooops, sorry. Embarassed I confused my albums in my post.
The first album, Captain Beyond, dedicates to "... the memory of Duane Allman", whereas the second album, Sufficiently Breathless, dedicates to "... the memory of Berry Oakley".

BTW... I am sooooooo jealous that you saw them live. I never got that opportunity.
Thus my high anticipation of the possible reunion of the ORIGINAL band.

"...dancing on a sea of air."

bluenote

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa!!! dancing madly backwards down memory lane!!!! the good old days, I used to see Capt.Beyond every time they came to town. They used to play in a very old movie theatre called the Parthenon. The accoustics were awsome because it was built back when they put some thought into that stuff, and there was a stage built out in front of the movie screen. Capt.Beyond played there and had weird psycodelic stuff floating around on the screen long before I ever saw Pink Floyd do it.No wonder I'm so screwed up today! but what really stood out for me was BC's drumming, he was very good. I learned the whole first side of Dancing madly....cool stuff. Thanks for making my day!
________
marijuana vaporizer

Last edited by bluenote on Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: