Robben Ford Discussion :: View topic - When does the "Truth" hurt?
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through this link.
Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index

Robben Ford Discussion
The Official Robben Ford Discussion Group

www.RobbenFord.com
All Access Pass

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When does the "Truth" hurt?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:44 am    Post subject: When does the "Truth" hurt? Reply with quote

Just kidding, of course, as I'm a big Robben fan. Yesterday I found (1) cd at Borders and snatched it up. I had an hour drive planned at 5:30 AM and was looking for a reason to feel blue. I made it to the start of track 10. Robben must be in a very happy phase as I could not muster up a heart felt tear. Robben now has one of the most pleasant singing voices ever ... pure, clean, even pretty, etc. Did he stop smoking? I did find some edge in the lyrics, but offset with a sweet sounding vocal. Susan's voice brought in the bluesy vocal ... almost Bonnie like. I'm thinking the war song must have been recorded in Jackson Browne's studio ... some great lyrics here ... but in some respect lacked the mournful angry ugly painful emotion of war. I found the cd to be uplifting ... not the blues that is so far down with an edge ... that it makes you feel better because someone else has it far worse. The cd is polished and perhaps lacking the rough raw edgy side of the blues. I was not sure what to expect and would enjoy your comments.
kurt1981

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, interesting take, and I agree with you, but I love his playing on this disc, just absolutely stunning, his touch really shows on these tunes. I like how he's going for the more altered licks now and then, but he just never seems to rush like most of the rest of us do. This could be close to my new favorite, though it'd be hard pressed to top Jing chi live.
billt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just recieved my copy from Amazon today and I'm through track 7. So far, I think this cd just kicks ass. Voice is great (I've always liked it), playing is out of this world, and the production is very slick. So far, this one is reminding me most of "Blue Moon", which is my favorite. Needless to say, I'm enjoying it.
Now if Robben will just bring the tour to Atlanta, I'll be happy.
Bill
BlueRunner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Nice comments, guys. See the "First Non-Daved Concert ..." thread in The Daved Zone for discussions about whether or not it's a good thing that Robben sound so much like James Taylor on "Riley B. King." (I'm apparently in the minority thinking its a good thing.)

This is one great CD. Lots of soul, lots of blues, and lots of very good music.

My favorite cut: "How Deep in the Blues." When I listen to it I get the distinct impression that Robben's been listening to Otis Taylor.
Pablo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some great gritty blues with killer guitar playing go to Archive.org, search for The Derek Trucks Band, and download some of the Soul Stew Revival shows. It’s free and the quality of some of these recordings is great. Derek Trucks is one of many that allow taping of his shows and Archive.org has loads of great live material. The Soul Stew Revival shows are with Susan and she really brought some lively soul to Derek's band.

I just downloaded "Truth" from Itunes and I'm enjoying listening - some absolutely stunning moments. I appreciate that Robben is always doing something different - never in the past. I would love another "Blue Line" type album, but it’s great that Robben always delivers something new. His solos sound very different to me in comparison to "Handful of Blues." Maybe I'm hearing what Kurt1981 describes as "altered licks" - a slightly different flavor, a new plane.
Tele295

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this may be the best album Robben's done in years. I'm only on Track 7 (Too Much), and each track seems better than the one before it!

I don't ever want to hear Paul Simon's version of "One Man's Ceiling". I'd just be disappointed, I know it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: