Robben Ford Discussion :: View topic - Grammy Awards
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through this link.
Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index

Robben Ford Discussion
The Official Robben Ford Discussion Group

www.RobbenFord.com
All Access Pass

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Grammy Awards
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackr

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Grammy Awards Reply with quote

I must say I am dissapointed that Robben didnt win. Not that I put too much stock into it but it would have been nice to see him get some recognition.

Has he ever gotten one?
alan47

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was bummed out too. Robben wasn't on the best dressed page on Yahoo! I have never watched a Grammy show and I never will again. I was reminded of the recent Super Bowl except we were spared old artists reading the Declaration of Independence. Unfortunately I tuned in to see a woman singing in front of a almost live Frank Sinatra (couldn't they find someone alive for her to perform with??????). From what little I watched the show seemed long on production and low on talent, but perhaps I am too jaded.

Anyway judging from what I saw this evening(albeit brief) I am hoping that Robben is not in the least perturbed that he didn't receive an award.

The Grammys seem like an award show for mainstream consumption and the awards seem to be given out based on popularity, but my guess is that most of you here already knew that eh?
ropiyas

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, Clapton & Co. have more pull -so far- in these types of event.
At least HerbieHancock got his, eh? Against all other mainstream people. Now THAT is a good sign...
fingerlakes

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quote from Alan :

"Anyway judging from what I saw this evening(albeit brief) I am hoping that Robben is not in the least perturbed that he didn't receive an award"

I couldn't agree more. I kept clicking over from the NBA game I was watching hoping to catch something good. A long show full of the worst crap I've ever heard or watched.
frank0936

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:43 am    Post subject: Missed it Reply with quote

I missed the show and now I'm glad I did. I kept trying to get here to check the news but I couldn't get the site to come up. I am so disappointed that Robben didn't win.
Frank
Jon07

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand the point of judging one artistic endeavour against another - it's highly subjective. I think Joe Bonamassa's "Sloe Gin" was the best blues album of last year but I don't really care if a bunch of guys don't vote for it - I enjoy it and buy it and go to the gigs so that the artist can continue to make music.
rainmkr63

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Grammy’s are such a pop contest I used to watch it but now I know what I’m in for so I avoid it. I did look at the results for two things, that being if Robben won and if Porcupine Tree won for best surround mix but both lost.

I was very happy to see Michael Brecker won and ‘Flight of the Conchords’ for best comedy, they had an HBO series that is one of the funniest things I have ever seen.

I am waiting for some group to step up to the musical plate and start a real music channel on TV, something with talent and substance. I still remember when Steely Dan, yes, Kansas, ELP Supertramp and other good stuff was popular music, we need to get back to that.

One of my best discoveries was Porcupine Tree last year.

Rob
Bluelobster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: AU SECOURS Reply with quote

well i am not surprised, note even bummed out as you say, but i need to feel these words better. What can i say : well i think they owed Robben a grammy since a long time : like the Miles Davis era & or some recognition from the yellow jackets period . and what the f+/%k is going in this business, look at this pseudo english diva playing weird games and not being as enjoyable as Aretha gaining 5 awards????? am i dreaming for true !!!!!!Well so May be Robben must now learn to love Flash bulbs in his eyes , a free recording policy for any gigs done, get up with drugs , & go in rehab and talk about this not about his daughter, then get loose & forget about his fancy square suits and dress like a real ukiah cowboy & make fancy statements about eric clapton at some dave letterman's shows
...This being said for what i know and like said Montaigne around 16th century : i know one thing for sure , and that thing is that i don't know nothing.............. i feel Robben is so Zen somehow and immersed in music that he doesn't give a blink , just playing the weird buisness game,Anne must be more disapointed 'coz she is a careful wife. This leads me to state as an old fart that i miss the blue line era trio ,quartet ,quintet, no matter , and i am not so glad with the choices of production since blue moon, though blue moon is the best for me .
AND I'll never understand why Robben is not a guest on Crossroads Festival..........................................................................................
TM

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only reason I turned on the Grammy's was to see if Robben won. The show is difficult to watch with all the chest beating of the rappers and the self indulgent vocal stylings-on-the-verge-of-screaming of most of the performers. As a jazz fan, I was very happy to see Herbie Hancock win Best Album. Even Joni Mitchel won an award. Does this mean there is some semblance of musical integrity to the award? Naw.
JackD

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched the show after not seeing it for years. The ONLY reason I did was hoping to see Robben win. What a waste of time. In viewing the show, I was reminded by the fact that 85% of pop music is crap. I guess I was hoping that there was some remote possibility of someone like Robben being recognized. Robben was not. At least Herbie was.

When it's all said and done, I know Robben does what he does and is who he is to serve the music. He is a rare musician indeed. My only hope for him winning the award was to have more people exposed to his music. I guess we will have to continue to spread the word ourselves.
Phil T

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I tuned in just as they were about to announce the winner (don't remember the category) and I was so glad to see Herbie Hancock get the recognition. He is definitely head and sholders above the others in the catagory, I feel they made one right choice anyway. Smile
ropiyas wrote:
yep, Clapton & Co. have more pull -so far- in these types of event.
At least HerbieHancock got his, eh? Against all other mainstream people. Now THAT is a good sign...
alan47

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here's a scary thought. Just suppose for a moment that all that popular if you want to call it music was all we had to ingest. To me it almost seems like mainstream music consumption(with some exceptions) reflects other aspects of our society. Simple......easy to forget and nothing complex that might stimulate your imagination.

A friend who appreciates Robbens technique but is not what I would call a fan once said to me that if he were the lead guitarist in a more mainstream band he would be a superstar. Well I for one am glad he is not(selfish I know). I hope he keeps on doing just what he is doing. I was lucky to be able to see him at Yoshis. Could you imagine your only opportunity to see Robben was in a stadium with a pair of binoculars?
alan47

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to say I'm glad Robben has peace on his mind. I wish more people did..................
JohnnyZ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Grammy's was on? Damn, I totally missed it...
roadwarriorfortheblues

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Grammy Awards Reply with quote

jackr wrote:
I must say I am dissapointed that Robben didnt win.

I feel bad too... like the 2004 Presidential Elections all over again. Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: