Robben Ford Discussion :: View topic - Tube Preference
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through this link.
Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index

Robben Ford Discussion
The Official Robben Ford Discussion Group

www.RobbenFord.com
All Access Pass

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tube Preference

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> The Daved Zone
View previous topic :: View next topic  
midc74

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 4:49 pm    Post subject: Tube Preference Reply with quote

Just wondering what everyone uses for pre & power tubes in their favorite amps. Are you all using NOS by now? And what's your favorite "new" tubes (if you have any).. Groovetubes? Sovtek? etc

I know it can make a huge difference on your tone. I'm thinking of upgrading.

Patrick
kirk95
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of amp? and what kind of tone are you going for?

We need more data.........
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
midc74

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well.. I was asking about YOUR favorite amp/tubes.. Smile

but to answer your question.. Robben's tone of course! (handfull of blues lead work, etc) hehe

My main amp is a Fuchs ODS 100, currently with four Sovtek 5881/6L6 (the tubes AF puts in his amps) , and four 12AX7 (I think). I've been running it lately in full power/triode mode.

Thinking of trying some NOS tubes.

Patrick
Flavum

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Mullards in the Marshall, and RCAs in my Fenders. They seem happy. Very Happy
Aeolian

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The flat base Sovtek 6L6's that AF puts in his amps are pretty good tubes. The last time I sent mine in I asked Andy to rebias it for a pair of Svetlana's I put in there. Most of the tube junkies I know consider these to be the next best thing to expensive NOS things. I noticed a slight increase in "sparkle" and some additional overtones or color or richness in the midrange, whatever you want to call it.

In the preamp I have a mixture of EI and the WBT Sovtek's AF put there.

A buddy with a Fuch's modded Boogie has been playing with preamp tubes and had this to say:

"Till now the best sound has been an EI in the "clean" position, and a Brimar in the OD position.

Substituting the Brimar with a Telefunken in the OD position, while keeping everything else the same, produced a bit more gain with the OD. However, it also imparted a slightly more agressive and edgier sound. The overall OD tone was still acceptable.

So far my findings have been as follows:

- EI's produced an improvement in terms of sustain and smoothness over the stock Mesa and Sovtek preamp tubes.
- Telefunkens are smoother than the EIs.
- The Brimar yielded the smoothest sound so far."

Are we having fun yet. Laughing
midc74

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohhh... That is a lot of good info!

Thanks! Very Happy

...and YES we are having fun!

My new effects should be here in a few days (I hope).. I'm gonna wait until I have a chance to play with them for a while before I decide what I'm gonna do with the tubes.

Patrick
iamthewalrus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 5:00 pm    Post subject: Myles Rose - tube amplifier "blueprinting" Reply with quote

Many of you probably know this site but if not, it's a good one to know about. Myles Rose created the "Special Applications Group" at Groove Tubes. He also hosts what he calls "tube amp blueprinting" clinics - and lately they've been free! I have a set of NOS 5881s in my Bassman that Myles dynamically matched. I thought I had a balanced phase inverter in it but was wrong, he gave me one from his collection and also another to replace a highly microphonic Ei 12AX7. The amp sounds just like it should: big, warm, dynamic and Fender-y. He may be as knowledgable about tubes and how they sound in guitar amps as anyone on the planet right now.

http://www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com/

For you SoCal guitarists - keep checking for his next clinic.

Knock knock.
Who's there?
Control freak. Now you say "control freak who."
midc74

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link! That guy is amazing... and I think there is enough reading, and technical information there to keep me busy for a long time. Very Happy

Patrick
tonemaster2_11

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 10:07 am    Post subject: Svetlana 6L6's Reply with quote

For power tubes I like the Svetlana 6L6GC's. I use them in two different amps and have compared them to N.O.S. GE's and Tung-Sol's and find that they are more to my liking. Tremendous low end and bloom. Thicker sounding and more complex harmonic content than the GE's. Sweeter highs too!! Add inexpensive and easy to obtain and that makes them a NO BRAINER for me.
As far as preamp tubes are concerned, I like NOS GE 12ax7's. Low noise, rarely microphonic and big thick sound.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> The Daved Zone All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: